Leon Red Bone (Hawk)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Leon was released by vet, I thought it all good. The other day I caught him gnawing the pad on the injured foot. The injury wasn't even on the pad. I treated and wrapped. I have been doing this for days, but he keeps taking the bandage off. I have sprayed bandage with vinegar to make it taste badly, but that didn't work. This morning he stayed upstairs a lot later so I went up and he had removed bandage and was licking almost in a frenzy. I finally got it rewrapped and put a layer of duct tape which can't be good because air can't get to wound.

I have upped his meds to keep him calmer, but I hate doing this.

I'm thinking the last resort will be a cast. Do they even do that for dogs?

Comments and suggestions please. This dog is going to kill me or put me in the poor house.

Comments and suggestions please. This dog is going to kill me or put me in the poor house.

Our boy had the exact thing happen. Hurt paw, kept reopening the wound…removing the bandages…licking like crazy. Here is what we did.

Anyway, I got a pair of children’s heavy cotton socks and covered his paw and leg with it. Used medical tape to secure it at the top well. THEN used Adhesive stretch wrap up the entire sock. Put some more medical tape around that. We waited 3 days and did the same thing (don’t use NuStock more than every 3rd day. Alert, the stuff does smell since it has sulfur in it. We kept a good eye on him for those day and he was almost healed after 3 days, but I still wrapped it again for another 2 days. I also gave him Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours the first few days…then less often. His vet okayed this. It keeps them from going crazy when the wound is healing and therefore itching badly. EDIT: We have boots I used to cover his foot with for outside trips. You could actually just tape a plastic bag around it for those times.

Adhesive Wrap…
https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesiv...&pd_rd_wg=k7IKP&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m
Like you, we had him to the vet several times. Used the stuff the vet gave us. NuStock works much faster and better and Benadryl does the trick on keeping them calm.

When Leon was released by vet, I thought it all good. The other day I caught him gnawing the pad on the injured foot. The injury wasn't even on the pad. I treated and wrapped. I have been doing this for days, but he keeps taking the bandage off. I have sprayed bandage with vinegar to make it taste badly, but that didn't work. This morning he stayed upstairs a lot later so I went up and he had removed bandage and was licking almost in a frenzy. I finally got it rewrapped and put a layer of duct tape which can't be good because air can't get to wound.

I have upped his meds to keep him calmer, but I hate doing this.

Bitter apple spray and Benadryl

Georgia, Clay has a bag of socks without mates and I have been using those for Leon. He has chewed holes in all of them. I've tried every combo of wrapping. Been through 7 large rolls of the vet wrap (the sticky wrap). Tried every type of tape too.

EW, I'm guessing the vinegar does basically the same thing as the bitter apple.

I will try the benedryl but have to wait till the other drugs wear off.

Georgia, Clay has a bag of socks without mates and I have been using those for Leon. He has chewed holes in all of them. I've tried every combo of wrapping. Been through 7 large rolls of the vet wrap (the sticky wrap). Tried every type of tape too.

EW, I'm guessing the vinegar does basically the same thing as the bitter apple.

I will try the benedryl but have to wait till the other drugs wear off.

Try the NuStock so it heals faster. Make him stay in the same room with you so he can’t chew on the socks. I know it’s a pain because it takes up so much time and attention. I had to keep getting up and tapping our boys nose and telling him “no”. He even tried going to a different room to do it. But I wouldn’t let him out of my sight. At night I gave him 2 Benadryl for a few nights…

Yes, I know I am a hard disciplinarian! Been called that many times, but some dogs have to be shown they must listen.

What is NuStock? If I ever see Leon go into his "jail" I know he's up to no good. He usually stays on the couch and if he gets up, I know it's time to pee or something is not right.

What is NuStock? If I ever see Leon go into his "jail" I know he's up to no good. He usually stays on the couch and if he gets up, I know it's time to pee or something is not right.

It’s this…

1644805617361.jpeg

• Non-toxic and safe for all animals
  • For proven relief of red mange, ringworm, ear mites, cuts, scrapes and much more on dogs, cattle, and horses
  • All-purpose topical
  • Heals skin from inside out
  • Helps regrow hair on old wounds
It regrows chicken feathers fast too!

@GeorgiaPeachie bought the Nu-Stock today. If it works the way they advertise, every bald man should it spread all over his head.

Also, if you remember, the horse paste type Ivermectin went from $3.99 to $14.99 during the height of Covid. Today the price was back down to $6.99. Guess there isn't an emergency anymore. I bought another tube, just in case we get another wave. Lol

When my much loved dog Chance Got old and incontinent the vet said there was no hope. Please let me kill him for a bit over $100. I took him home and murdered him in in his favorite place. Then built a huge funeral fire. It burned for days. That is all I want for me.

@GeorgiaPeachie bought the Nu-Stock today. If it works the way they advertise, every bald man should it spread all over his head.

Also, if you remember, the horse paste type Ivermectin went from $3.99 to $14.99 during the height of Covid. Today the price was back down to $6.99. Guess there isn't an emergency anymore. I bought another tube, just in case we get another wave. Lol

Way to go Robin! Keep the list from Dr Zelenko of the types of flu it will work on. There are many others besides the Covid variants.

LOL about the bald guys using NuStock! I‘m telling you the stuff is freaky good!

I agree with GeorgiaPeachie.
Warn the dog's owners, that if it comes on to your property and threatens or attacks stock or people it will be shot.
Around my house it would just disappear without a trace, night vision and a suppressor comes in handy when a dog will not stay off your property. 0 tolerance for rude neighbors.

Around my house it would just disappear without a trace, night vision and a suppressor comes in handy when a dog will not stay off your property. 0 tolerance for rude neighbors.
Found several collars on my back 10A. Guess the previous owners weren’t as nice a me with my warning.

Cone doesn't work for his long legs. He can just wrap his leg around it and still chew.

I have had the bandage off all night and he has been really good about licking. My husband accidently let him out and he ran around outside for about 20 minutes without a bandage and the wound didn't bleed.

Maybe we are turning a corner.

Had Leon out to pee and Zeus and a cat were over in the woods (my property) and the neighbor dog attacked Zeus. Leon was struggling to get into fight and I had a tough time. The cat ran under house and Zeus and the dog were fighting.

I was yelling and the fight stopped. Zeus was whimpering and has a little blood from a bite. He is in my son's room hiding. (He is 9). Husband went out and was yelling crap. I couldn't hear what.

Now I'm afraid to take Leon out and he will pee in floor. If that dog comes near my son, he is dead.

Latest posts

Back