Hurricanes!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give me time I could have a complete list for you. LOL
So could I. . . :) When we get a major, I know to expect the main electric lines to be down for at least two weeks if not more and the county water may be shut off for that amount of time too. We have a house generator now, bought right before Harvey but haven't needed it for the most part since buying. It may happen this go around. Water, we have a well. A well is good for hurricane area, but since we have livestock it is essential.

Ike totally wiped us out at the beach property. With a 19 ft title wave everything was gone, beach cabin and everything in it. We went down to find granny's gumbo pot, and the slab of the original beach cabin.after digging 4 ft down along with the pot belly stove. All the afgans that Granny made by hand totally gone. I understand the loss during a hurricane can bring.

Ya know, Danil54, you and I are watching this one dance all over! Now it seems, with this westerly shift, I'm back in the "cone". Governor Abbot is issuing evacuation orders now for some areas! Cat 3 with winds of 115 mph! I'm stocked up with supplies, etc., so I just pray everyone will do okay.

As of right now, it looks like she's going to hit the LA side of Sabine Pass as a Cat 3 at 2am Thursday. There are no cities directly on the coast around there, it's all wildlife refuges, which is good. At least for the people anyhow. 🙂
I imagine Sabine Pass is narrow enough to slow down the storm surge before it gets to Port Arthur, and Sabine Lake can absorb some of the incoming water so maybe Port Arthur will pull through with minimal damage. Unless the river backs up and floods Port Arthur and Beaumont...

Port Arthur has a levy built around it which should protect it along with Mid-County. Local reports say it will go in at Sabine River @1am local timd. With her she going directly over a good portion of residential communities. But directly east, the dirty side is a lot of pasture land until you get to Lake Charles. It's basically taking the same path s Rita in '05. Sabine Pass is in major trouble and so is Orange, Bridge City, for the east and also High Island, Bolivar and Galveston to the west. They are saying storm surge may hit 9FT and go up to I10.

The storm surge is usually mostly on the east side right? I think Galveston may dodge the bullet on this one.
Yes but you just never know. I have seen many jog west (or east) right before landfall. The kids living in Galveston have left for in-laws in Round Rock this afternoon. Youngest is evacuating in the morning to where my sister lives farther west of us. He planned on coming to our house to get a big cage for his dog, but called to say that he had a flat on his truck and couldn't get his tire off. We went down to his house to take crate and hunny helped him change his tire. Just tool a big sledge hammer. I talked with DIL. Worried about her mom who lives in West Orange, south of I10. Not where you want to be. It will flood. Trying to get her talked into at least heading for her dad's (DILs grandpa) place 10 miles outside of Deweyville. He didn't flood during Harvey or Imelda so should be ok there. If not she is welcome to head to our place, but it is going to be rough here. Not worried about storm surge, but wind mainly. Mom and her husband left yesterday morning after her husband's doctor appointment and headed for Conroe to her brothers place. Hunny and I along with son 3 and his GF who lives a bit farther (around 12 miles) will be riding this out at our houses. Hunny helped son 3 board up his house and then son 3 helped out here fpr us while I was at work. Still havent gotten a call from work but I am still going to plan like I will be going into work tomorrow. It would honestly be better than sitting around here and keep my mind busy with the task on hand. If I do stay home, plan will be to stay out loving on my goats as long as possible and than come in for housework and cooking. Don't think I will be sleeping much after the hurricane starts to move in.

Latest posts

Back