Hurricanes!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forester

Reaction score
It looks like we might have two hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time! (That's a first!) I'm in the woods, so I'm not leaving anywhere. I'd say if any need supplies, you'd better step on it! Hurricane #14 is headed right at me. Hopefully it'll be a Cat 1 when it makes landfall. (We could sure use some rain). If you're in the impact area folks, do your prepper thang!

I hear ya. We are in #15 path as a direct hit for no w but expect it to be no more than a Cat 1. We are staying home too. Too many animals to tend and I am a first responder at work. Things were crazy today and expected to be worse tomorrow. That means people have taken notice and stocking up. Think a lot of people missed out for Harvey and Imelda and not making the same mistake. We are good here. Everything is ready to go except last minute items like bringing in the 5 outside feed troughs into the barn, running extra water and boarding up windows

I am up on the high end of Harris County at the headwaters of all the creeks. We have never even had 24 hrs of standing water in the ditches... Even during Harvey.
The only thing I get scared about on every storm is my living room has nine 13' high x 3' wide single pane arch top windows. Meant to give the effect of being open to the back yard. Creates a fantastic view of nature. I alway worry about an errant tree branch hitting one (or more) of those windows. I don't remember what they cost back in 1990, but I'm sure the current replacement cost would give me a heart attack.

I am up on the high end of Harris County at the headwaters of all the creeks. We have never even had 24 hrs of standing water in the ditches... Even during Harvey.
The only thing I get scared about on every storm is my living room has nine 13' high x 3' wide single pane arch top windows. Meant to give the effect of being open to the back yard. Creates a fantastic view of nature. I alway worry about an errant tree branch hitting one (or more) of those windows. I don't remember what they cost back in 1990, but I'm sure the current replacement cost would give me a heart attack.
you probably don't want to know. We just had our Windows replaced from single pane to double a few months ago, but not as big as yours. Ours were mainly 6ft by 3ft (14) with one big arch and 1 smaller kitchen window. Without the sale and discount $29,000, but we spent more like $15,000.

OMG!.. well it would be house insurance time for sure. I need to double check but I believe we have a 1% of house value deductible. I was 40 when we built this thing and I will always regret I didn't just build a smaller house and put it on 20 acres, so I could have had livestock. I used to ride when I was young. We had Quarter horses and we had a few head of Angus along with a chicken coop. I miss those times.... or maybe I just miss my youth LOL. Too old to move now though.

OMG!.. well it would be house insurance time for sure. I need to double check but I believe we have a 1% of house value deductible. I was 40 when we built this thing and I will always regret I didn't just build a smaller house and put it on 20 acres, so I could have had livestock. I used to ride when I was young. We had Quarter horses and we had a few head of Angus along with a chicken coop. I miss those times.... or maybe I just miss my youth LOL. Too old to move now though.
I definitely went with more land than house. Ours is only 1524 sq. It is much bigger than what I grew up in but it was the land and possibilities that sold me. House could always be renovated to our liking but the land will never change.

My wife grew up a suburbanite and by the time I built this, the kids were all in elementary or Jr High school. None of them were country oriented, so I never really brought up any other possibility, my fault really, but I have always given all of them whatever they wanted anyway. I did get them past the suburbs and into what is now referred to as the Exurbs, You have to drive through pasture land to get to us if your coming from houston. Bedroom community type stuff

My hunny and I both grew up in the "city" and small "town" but I visited my aunt and uncle farm I Colorado growing up. It made a big impact in my life. Hunny learned to embrace this lifestyle to a point. :). The two oldest ones were out of the house and the two youngest were in Jr high.

How can two hurricanes even exist close together? In the model they are showing both Laura and Marco hitting at the same time. If there are two hurricanes side by side, Laura to the east and Marco to the west, the west side of Laura will be going south and the east side of Marco will be going north. It seems like they would have to either cancel each other out or combine into one storm.
DCT_SPECIAL107_1280x720.jpg

Hurricane vet with battle stars on my wings here. I've been at ground zero for more than one. You cant stop the damage, but hurricane prepping has been taught for generations down here. The idiots that need rescuing are either new Yankee transplants or those with 2-digit IQs that believe the "gubbermint" will take care of them.

How can two hurricanes even exist close together? In the model they are showing both Laura and Marco hitting at the same time. If there are two hurricanes side by side, Laura to the east and Marco to the west, the west side of Laura will be going south and the east side of Marco will be going north. It seems like they would have to either cancel each other out or combine into one storm.
DCT_SPECIAL107_1280x720.jpg
I think they will orbit each other

My hunny and I both grew up in the "city" and small "town" but I visited my aunt and uncle farm I Colorado growing up. It made a big impact in my life. Hunny learned to embrace this lifestyle to a point. :). The two oldest ones were out of the house and the two youngest were in Jr high.

I understand Dani! My hubby grew up in a big city, me on a farm. Farming on both sides of my family and none on his. He is adjusting and welcoming some things, others I’m still working on!

Well where we are now looks better. Marco has moved east and look like New Orleans for now. Laura is too uncertain right now which way she will go.That's how it goes with hurricanes. . . they have a mind of their own. Hoping our low stays on top of us and pushes Laura more east from us too. Sorry for LA and MS.

Latest posts

Back