Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
To clarify
What is being depicted here is cold smoking, it's not cooking but preserving. In order to do this and not get food poisoning is to do this on a cool day below 68deg F since the smoker (on the inside) has to also be below 68deg F, smoking time is dependent on the amount of meat and efficiency of the smoker. Don't use soft wood, it can be dangerous and taint the meat. If done right cold smoking is an extremely efficient way of preserving meat and very much time tested, cold smoking is the preferred method in the winter since the meat when done needs to be chilled 24hrs before eating, since one is in the back country with no electricity the winter is the preferred season!! oh, have lots of firewood for about 3 to 7 days if not longer ;)

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
We used cold smoking a lot in Alaska, for caught salmon.... Man, the smell of it all over the compound (Coast Guard brat).... Incredible.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I only used cold smoking for cheese. I always hot smoked my salmon. I mainly used a recipe that contained honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses and course ground pepper and smoked over alder wood. It was also known as Squaw Candy.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
They used to use cardboard smoker boxes, which I always thought (as a kid) was odd... I mean, wouldn't it burn up? But nope...

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
They used to use cardboard smoker boxes, which I always thought (as a kid) was odd... I mean, wouldn't it burn up? But nope...
Back in the day we used brown paper bag (grocery bag) coated in butter and cooked a turkey in the paper bag inside the oven, I don't know how many people remember that here on the forum but it was common practice in the 50/60s for Thanksgiving ;) I still cook it that way from time to time.

Hell Proof

Reaction score
Here I didn't know there was a hot or cold smoking though I thought as much that smoking was to preserve fish and meat.
Went to look up the differences in hardwood and soft wood. (heh) I didn't know that they could get tainted :x
One of the ways to tell according to the web is that angiosperms/Hardwoods generally lose their leaves during the winter.

Something new for the day I suppose

Dalisa

Banned
Reaction score
since the need is likely to be at higher temps, then you need a lot of salt, too. The salt has to be flushed out before the smoking, big pita. In areas with no access to sodium chloride, it's feasible to use potassium chloride, extracted from hardwood ashes, but it's a huge pita.

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
since the need is likely to be at higher temps, then you need a lot of salt, too. The salt has to be flushed out before the smoking, big pita. In areas with no access to sodium chloride, it's feasible to use potassium chloride, extracted from hardwood ashes, but it's a huge pita.
If the meat is salt cured you can still smoke the meat at limited duration for added flavoring, If cold or hot smoking no need for salt. Making potash isn't difficult just time consuming, if one lives near the sea, dehydrating sea water is the easiest but also time consuming although faster than making potash. With potash you can also use green vegetation not just wood ;)

Latest posts