Preparing for the Great Reset

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much spot on, but, I guess I haven’t risen to the level where I feel so threatened yet as to have to make like a rock thank goodness.

My Grandmother and her entire family survived the Holodomor in Ukraine. It can be done.

I live in a state that so far doesn’t put up with messing with agricultural producers much. Not to say they won’t, if their arm gets twisted by the feds in the right position, just that I think they know that is a can of worms best left sealed.

I will add a few things to the list…plant perennial plants vs annual plants.

First off, perennials are much less affected in a weather extreme such as drought or late frost. The plants may die back a bit or produce less but, not completely die. Secondly, they can often be planted in a multi-storied environment, such as in partial shade or filtered sun. Almost all annuals require full sun in order to produce well. This difference in perennials allows them to be planted beneath trees and hide in a forest.

Many plants that will grow in a natural environment will be hard to distinguish from their poisonous brethren. Having a few confusing ones in there might scare some off from trying to pilfer them.

Mushrooms are one obvious example

Another Example

EDIBLE (and quite tasty as wine, jams and preserves) Chapparal Bush

View attachment 15323

poisonous holly

View attachment 15322

That looks a lot like the agarita.
Used to pick the berries when I lived in Junction Tx. We'd lay a sheet under the bush and give it a good shake.
I'd say it's the same bush.
1647993530132.png

That looks a lot like the agarita.
Used to pick the berries when I lived in Junction Tx. We'd lay a sheet under the bush and give it a good shake.
I'd say it's the same bush.
View attachment 15549
bingo! I put the tarp under it and hit it "nicely" with a baseball bat. Prickly leaves but, yum!

Last edited:
I see you are in central Texas. It is all over the hill country, kind of like a weed. It pops up all over. It should be producing berries soon (I'll go see what stage some of ours is at and let you know). The leaves are stiff and prickly (like most plants west of I-35, and the wood is bright yellow. It can also be used to make dye for fabric/yarn.

i am going to try to transplant some after fruiting to the BOL in the east (inwell drained soil) and see how they do.

Might be a good idea to put them in pots which gives you a lot more control over the water content.
Put em on casters you can roll them undercover if they get to much rain.
In Junction we got around 16 inches of rain a year and it was in four rainfalls,compared to Houston where we get 36 inches.
Let me know if it works. I might even give em a try here in Houston.

I will just transplant and see how it goes. Survival of the fittest. If TSHTF, I am going to have a lot to do and don't want to be messing with things that waste time and calories.

We get 48 at the BOL #2; At BOL #1 (Eastern Hill Country) where we have these everywhere like weeds, we get 36"...so, I think they should work for you.

@rainingcatzanddogs
I'm going to start watching the vegetation at our BOL cabin property, roughly 1 hr. east of Austin. It's sandy and arid in the area, so there's likely some around that area. Maybe not. I'll start looking around more. I probably would notice them from the roadway without fruit or berries on them. From your description of the taste, now I want to get one and let it take off 'like a weed' somewhere on our 40 acres.

@rainingcatzanddogs
I'm going to start watching the vegetation at our BOL cabin property, roughly 1 hr. east of Austin. It's sandy and arid in the area, so there's likely some around that area. Maybe not. I'll start looking around more. I probably would notice them from the roadway without fruit or berries on them. From your description of the taste, now I want to get one and let it take off 'like a weed' somewhere on our 40 acres.

If you dont have them on your BOL you should be able to plant some.
They were all over our place in Junction.

@rainingcatzanddogs

One hour east of Austin may be to wet.
You might have to go further west to find some.

OK. I had to look on the map to see where Junction is. We used to have a friend we both taught school with in Mason. He had a big ranch there. Nice area with some great old Victorian homes in the town.

We had two properties on the S. Llano river.
I still kick myself in the ### for selling them. The last place we bought was 350k and we sold it two years later fo 480k so it was profitable.
Junction is pretty much the last frontier in the Hill Country,once you go west of that it's pretty much shit land with no water.

And I'm regretting our two places are 'roughly (ONLY) an hour east of Austin. Can you quote yourself? LOL Our realtor of 10 years sent us a picture of a (maybe 1500 s.f.) house in Austin that she thought worth about $60,000 eventually sold for $500,00, so I'm not surprised. We've thought about selling our smaller piece (only 14 acres). Big demand nowadays. We paid $200K and she said it would probably get double that now. So did the county tax office there when my husband went in to pay our taxes on both parcels. He mentioned we'd thought about sellling it while paying up. She replied, be sure you realize most land in the area is worth about 2 times more than when we bought it 1/2 years ago. I was stunned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back