How Many Acres Are Ideal

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I forgot horses.I am so in love with them but haven't had a chance to have any since I was little.

We had friends who had a herd of bison behind their place. All I can say is that they do not respect fencing at all and they are nasty to deal with. Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of fencing in the future, I swear it is the one job that never ever ends when you have critters. Would AI be something you might be interested in instead of keeping a bull on your place? If you are only doing a few cows it might work out better to buy the 'juice' by the straw rather than having to spend out 365 days a year on a bull who is only working an hour tops during that year.

I will check into that thanks! Yea I heard they are mean.I have a St. Bernard,English mastiff and pot belly pig fenced in about an acre in my backyard they don't like to stay lol so I have become an expert field fencer.Electric fence has helped me tremendously though.I know it will be an every day adventure and I can't wait.

Electric fence is my friend. I even have solar chargers to use when the power's out for days. The only thing that we have that doesn't respect the wire is one of my pits, she just flat don't care when she decides to go meet the kid at the bus stop.

I've got solar too.I heard a horror story about a lady that had pot belly pigs that were in an electric fence and they would get way back and start running and squealing because they knew it would hurt but break right through so I think it works best in addition to a regular fence.

We ring our hogs' snout to keep them from rooting under the fences as well. If you do get a bull, you might want to consider ringing his nose as well.

I am so very envious of all of you who have land. I don't even have a 6 foot x 6 foot piece of grass! I can't wait to get out of california.

If you have cows though....well, there's your compost. ;)

me and my family would live most property down here that im looking at has either a creek or a pond on it already i would need enough for roughly 10 people and sum animals and a gardened im looking at between 5 to 10 acres do you think i need more

My family and I (and our ranch gal) are 5 people, currently on 5 1/2 acres (in FL). I'd think 10 acres should be fine for what you're describing (of usable area, so not including the creek or pond). Of course, you don't have to go deep for a well here either. You can probably even find some old farmland that already has a well or two. If so, this is good, as these can be very expensive. Also, are you trying to build a house, or looking for an existing? All things to consider.

For me, there's some empty land right behind us, so if a SHTF event happens, and nothing's done with that...well.... :D Later on, we might look into purchasing it.

Just another thing to consider though....if there is room to grow, for example.

Latest posts

Back