House Arrest --- the challenge!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmttactical

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I have been put on house arrest - solitary confinement. So here was my first challenge -- obtain material to mount a reloading press to my work bench ---- WITHOUT --- escaping!

I wanted (2 pieces) 3/4" x 12" x 12" plywood.
7 pieces - 1/4" - 20 Tee Nuts.
4 pieces - 1/4" - 20 x 2 1/2" hex head bolts.
3 pieces - 1/4" - 20 x 2" hex head bolts.
1 tube - Liquid nails

I did find all these items, (except the wood - I re-purposed a jewelry riser I had built) online and with free delivery.

Finding food delivery / pickup is fairly simple but think about all the projects that you will want or need to build / fix and what you may want or need to have on hand. Can you construct a raised garden bed, fix a leaking pipe, replace a blown fuse, circuit breaker or even board up a broken window. As preppers we plan for food, water, shelter and many of the obvious needs but many time we over look the repair parts that will keep us moving forward.

Do you keep general repair parts and do you have the skills or even the books /videos that show you how to make minor repairs to your homes? Something to think about, while these items are in plentiful supply.

Most people can't stock every size and length of bolts but it is fairly cheap to stock several lengths of all thread and then cut and make your own bolts.

P.S. I did have plenty of wood screws, all thread and nuts. I could have mounted the press without the Tee Nuts or new bolts but I wanted an easily removable mount.

Right on target Urbanprep. I also have thousands of screws and bolt/nuts, pop-rivets, wire, lightbulbs, extension cords, bags of rubberbands, string, twine, super glue, wood glue, sewing thread, needles, nails, tape, band-aids, extra backpacks, spare coffee machine, thermos bottles, 1000 matches, 400 BIC lighters, 500 candles, extra car battery and battery charger, spare cell phones, spare laptop, extra set of plates, silverware, pots and pans, a box full of plastic forks, knives, spoons and plastic cups if I have to serve the whole family in a total lockdown, blow up mattresses for extra beds, tents for 16 persons, sleeping bags, fishing tackle, slingshot and 1000 steel balls, BB gun with 3000 BB's, pellet gun with 3000 pellets, extra jars for canning, 400 coffee filters...I can go on but the most of you would not believe me anyway...Just take some advice, look around the house in all of your drawers and in the garage and cellar. Make a list of what you see and decide which you could NOT live without...go buy some more...Gary

I'm pretty good at doing home repair stuff, but--in many respects--my GF is better.

She is really good at refinishing and repairing furniture and other wood products.

I have replaced and rewired several light fittings (like a chandalier) in my house.

Being that she's an RN and I'm an ex-medic, we're both practical, good with our hands, and rather competent at using tools.

She is not above removing screws, nuts, bolts, etc. from pieces of dicarded furniture and reusing them on whatever project that she's working on. She also tends to get things at a pittance from Craig's List to refinish and use in the home.

Reguardless of what your individual skills and interests are it really is important to focus and stay invested in some activity. I’m worn out from the physical stuff of working in the yard and gardens so am taking a ride today just to see what’s up. Just a diversion anyways, with my trusty hand sanitizer....

Just carried the batteries, inverter and solar panel up from the cellar and set it all up on the balcony for charging the batteries and letting my wife use it to charge her smartphone while she is sitting in the sun and smoking. We baked fresh bread again today so we do not need to go shopping again for a few days.

To me learning the skills that will enable you fix, repair, maintaine, build or grow, are just as critical as stocking up on stuff. The ultimate would be to have both; skills and stuff. Plus I think having the right mindset to be alone if necessary.
All these "orders" about staying away from other people and staying home might be hard on some people, but for some of us it's just another day. Also, like several members have said, it's been a great time to get caught up on things around the house.

Latest posts

Back