Not exactly an edged weapon, but...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
My great nephew is staying with us for the summer and he's been pestering me for a while to help him make a bow.
Making a bow is something I've wanted to do anyhow, so I finally agreed.
We were at the BOL and he saw a scrap piece of oak that he thought we could make the bow with.
Honestly I did not think it would work. Wrong kind of wood, and the grain is running at an angle instead of parallel to the wood. And it wasn't in the right configuration for either a long bow or a flat bow.
But we made a bow out of it anyhow. At his draw length it is only 10 pounds, so I guess that light it doesn't really matter.
Anyhow, I made a riser to stiffen the center of the bow, and tapered it off at the top and bottom. Then glued it to the bow with some Elmer's wood glue. The riser works like a champ!
To help season the wood, we made a makeship solar oven and let it bake in the sun for a few days. Before we did that it you could bend it this way and that and it would stay bent in that direction. Now it doesn't. When he wasn't looking I put it on the big belt sander to taper the inside of the limbs. The heat from putting it on the belt sander helped finish the seasoning of the wood. The shop wasn't anywhere for him to be, especially since I need to concentrate when running equipment like that.
We glued some pig gut sausage casing on the back to keep it from splitting. And I made a bowstring out of some heavy duty thread, wrapped and all.
It is just about 2" shy of his height, so it is sort of a long bow, but with flat limbs.
It has only taken a slight set from being bent to full draw. We broke it in by drawing it a little bit at a time at first, then a little more. I forced him to use short draws at first by making him shoot crossbow bolts. We gradually went to longer and longer arrows.
Surprised the heck out of me that it didn't split when he drew it all the way back the first time!
He's out there shooting it now. I think he is as surprises as I am how well it works.

I'll get pictures in a little while.

Also one of my great wishes to make a bow. There are no osage or yew trees here, I would have to order some wood or just laminate what I can find...thanks for the story, hope you both have fun together Doc.

Here you can see how horribly wrong the grain is. On the right side it's actually curving back the other way. I really did not expect this wood to work.
56pa31n.jpg

Here is the sausage casing backing. It is apparently working!
xPc341B.jpg

And the bow, unstrung and strung. That unstrung picture is after the bow has been shot many times.
MWXybkh.jpg

The bowstring.
Loj0T8M.jpg
The riser, which is working exactly as intended.
kBNfvOm.jpg

Not one bit better or worse than that which someone must produce after the SHTF and needs to do some silent work on different targets. Great goings Doc.

I figure it's good for birds and small game like rabbits and squirrels.

Last year I helped him make an arrow. We tried to make a crude bow from bamboo, but it kept splitting and breaking so I just got him a cheap compound at Walmart.
We made a stone arrowhead out of a piece of gravel from the yard, and we used a straight branch off of a bush for the shaft. Natural feathers for fletching.
wruZSPg.jpg

Latest posts

Back