Hello all.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

Beginning prepper here, looking to do a few practice runs to my BOL, and hopefully get some helpful feedback in the process.

Where I am: Madison WI. In town. In a condo. Wife and 3 kids, 2 boys (21, in college) 1 girl (17, in High School).

I work at a dress shop (I know, laugh it up. I have worked construction and as a welder all my life, and I am too beat up, so I'm changing careers.)

Preps: Basic. 72 hours of food and water, rain catchment setup (yep, even in the condo), Basic AR/9mm/12 gauge set. A few caches of supplies. BOL 2.5 hours distant, with stored supplies, 4 routes to get there planned out, 2 by road (driven frequently) one by foot (untried) and one water (trial run coming up.)

We are planning to move to Utah within the next 3 years, and are paying off all debt and downsizing in preparation for the move.

That's about it. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome from Finland,for a "beginner" your set up seems okay!

when do you plan to do the walk?

LOL That is a long walk. I get to take two big trips per year, and one this year has to be the Grand Canyon (a dream trip for my wife).

So this year I will do the water route. The walk? Next year, maybe. It would take about 10 days at 15 miles a day! :(

Welcome to the group from the southeast. Looks like you’ve done a lot already! Hop in and enjoy!

Howdy from Georgia!

When you say "dress shop" do you mean just selling dresses, or actually making dresses or doing alterations? Because if the latter two, those skills could be very valuable when the SHTF.

But regardless, honest employment is honest employment. Don't be ashamed.

Right now I do alterations, and some tailoring, depending on the customer (some ladies aren't comfortable with a guy, I get it) and I do cut and piece work. So you lay out pieces in a certain order for someone else to sew. As far as sewing, I am actually overqualified for what I am doing there, but I haven't been there long. It's kind of a trip, after working construction. It's okay. I have tendonitis so bad I can't run airtools, or use hand tools 12 hours a day like I used to. It sucks, but I have to be able to sleep. Last year was murder. For some reason the sewing is fine, maybe because everything is so light. It was hilarious, when I got the job offer and I told my family, first thing the daughter says "You'll never get the job, you aren't gay" lol

Oh, I'm ex Navy, served on a carrier during Desert Shield. Long ago now.

I hear you on the tendinitis. I was running a chainsaw back in December and aggravated my elbow tendon and got a case of "tennis elbow." Then got out in the cold deer hunting and REALLY aggravated it to the point it was swelling up and the joint was popping when I flexed it.

Getting a little bit better now, but I'm still having to take it easy. I should have been deer hunting this week , but I am having to wait until my joints (knee is bothering me too) recover...if they ever do.

As they say, getting old ain't for sissies!

HIYA from Georgia also! Thank You for your service! To me, as long as someone is working it doesn't matter what they do, as long as it is legal!

Latest posts

Back