Have I got this wrong?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
did I hear wrong on Sky news this am, Whilst nations across the world are testing people who they fear MAY be infected with Corona , that in parts of the US people are being charged $3300 dollars to be tested ??

Yes. A week or two ago, a guy walked into a CA hospital and demanded he be tested. They talked with him and told him they don't see cause to run the test but he insisted. His insurance refused to pay, and it was a $3500 bill (give or take). Now I don't know if they will charge if they think you need the test.

Texas, do you have the source for that? I believe Reddit and Twitter are where that story was circulating.

I found this:
https://headtopics.com/us/how-much-...edical-bills-finds-that-online-rumor-11692768
How much does a coronavirus test cost? Fact check of COVID-19 medical bills finds that online rumor of a $3,000 charge is false
A baseless claim that it will cost patients in the U.S. more than $3,000 to test for COVID-19 has been circulating online.
The two agencies authorized to test for COVID-19, the coronavirus, say they are not billing patients.
The writer of the tweet didn’t respond to a request for comment. A Miami Herald story about one man's experience spread among other news outlets , some of which used it to illustrate problems with the U.S. health care system. According to the Herald, Osmel Martinez Azcue went to China for work and returned to Miami in January with “flu-like symptoms.” He went to Jackson Memorial Hospital, worried that he might have contracted the new coronavirus, called COVID-19. The initial cost for his visit was $3,270, billed to his insurance company. That total included an emergency room visit and testing for 22 upper respiratory pathogens, according to Lidia Amoretti, a spokeswoman for the hospital who answered questions from FactCheck.org by email. Azcue tested positive for the flu, and after hospital workers consulted with the Florida Department of Health, he was not tested for COVID-19. Jill Montag, a spokeswoman for the New York State Department of Health, told FactCheck.org by email that the state pays for testing. According to America’s Health Insurance Plans, a trade association, the CDC isn’t charging patients. That could change. The U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services created a billing code for COVID-19 testing, and other labs could get emergency authorization from the FDA for testing. Jennifer Kates, the director of global health and HIV policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said in a phone interview, “There could be other costs incurred.” Visits to the doctor’s office and the emergency room can cost patients money, she said, noting that some high-deductible insurance plans could effectively charge patients who go to the ER $1,000 or more. “This all comes down to coverage,” she said. Read more: USA TODAY

Of course they will charge for the testing. If your insurance starts paying, they will double the price. While we may have the worlds BEST HEALTHCARE, it is the financials that are out of control. If any of the presidential candidates (including Trump) want to do something positive, address the FINANICALs. Healthcare itself is not a problem, it is the costs related to it.

If people suspect they have COVID-19, they should NOT just walk into the emergency room. That's how some of the hospital outbreaks started, like in Lombardy Italy. Instead they need to call the hospital and ask for guidance. Scotland and South Korea have set up "Drive Through" testing sites to keep suspected cases out of the hospital. I think they need to do that here.

if anyone thinks they have the virus here they are told to stay home and self isolate, not go to emergency or doctors surgery, we have something here where you phone 111 and they give advise but I did hear they are overwhelmed with the "worried well"!!

Latest posts

Back