Revisiting swine flu of 2009

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dostoyevsky

Reaction score
I found this article last year and I just found it again. I think it's well worth a revisit: Reconstruction of a Mass Hysteria: The Swine Flu Panic of 2009 It was written in 2010.

Among the things that struck me are these:

1. On the vaccines
Meanwhile, a debate had erupted over whether Germany had chosen the wrong vaccine, Pandemrix. It contained a new type of agent designed to boost its effectiveness, known as an adjuvant, which had never undergone large-scale human trials in connection with the swine flu antigen. Were millions of people about to receive a vaccine that had hardly been tested? "This is a large-scale experiment on the German people!" warned Wolfgang Becker-Brüser, publisher of the medical journal Arznei-Telegramm.

In theory, says former PEI President Löwer, it would have been possible to approve an adjuvant-free swine flu vaccine in Germany. But the contracts for Pandemrix had been signed in 2007, and they came into effect automatically when the WHO decided to declare phase 6. Germany was in a bind.

Contracts were signed in 2007 for an inadequately tested experimental vaccine for a disease that didn't appear until 2009.

2. WHO - World Hysteria Organisation
At any rate, efforts to downplay the risks were unwelcome, and the WHO made it clear that it preferred to base its decisions on a worst-case scenario.

Sometimes some of us think that WHO stands for World Hysteria Organization," says Richard Schabas, the former chief medical officer for Canada's Ontario Province.

3. The media stoked the hysteria -- Speigel even criticises itself
The media also did its part in stoking fears. SPIEGEL, for example, had reported at length on the avian flu. Now it devoted a cover story to the new "global virus," a story filled with concerns that the swine flu pathogen could mutate into a horrific virus.

4. Was 2009 a practice run?
What was this pandemic? Was it all just "good practice for an emergency,

Was 2009 a trial run or are we just too stupid to learn from our mistakes?

Keep prepping folks.

I found this article last year and I just found it again. I think it's well worth a revisit: Reconstruction of a Mass Hysteria: The Swine Flu Panic of 2009 It was written in 2010.

Among the things that struck me are these:

1. On the vaccines

Contracts were signed in 2007 for an inadequately tested experimental vaccine for a disease that didn't appear until 2009.

2. WHO - World Hysteria Organisation

3. The media stoked the hysteria -- Speigel even criticises itself

4. Was 2009 a practice run?

Was 2009 a trial run or are we just too stupid to learn from our mistakes?

Keep prepping folks.
Yep. I've been asking the same question.

Latest posts

Back