Go Bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanjturrell

Reaction score
I am getting started on "go-bags" for my family of 4 (me, wife, 14 yr old son, 7 yr old son)
We have the beginnings of a "get-home" bag in each of our vehicles.
But I'm struggling with organizing "go-bags", for 4 people, with EVERYTHING we MIGHT need, on a TIGHT budget, without the redundancies. A lot of the stuff in our current "get-home" bags could be used in a "bug-out" situation, and I hate the idea of buying 6 of everything (4 "go-bags" and 2 "get-home" bags).

I am open to suggestions on how to organize a "go-bag-system" for a family...

Also ANY and ALL suggestions on affordable, lightweight gear will be considered, and greatly appreciated!

When designing any kind of bag I go back to the basics. What are the things you need most to live? Water is #1. Second is food. Shelter, in this case adequate clothing for the season and possibly a tarp or tent of some type. I think security is pretty major as during an emergency some people will be tempted to take what you have. And last you can start thinking about comforts. Things that can make your life easier while traveling, or even just make you feel better in a bad situation. My bags started off with used, free and scavenged stuff. Slowly over time I have upgraded things and added and culled stuff as my perspective has changed.

Btw, I bought a Sawyer mini water filter 2-pack at Academy for 34.99 just this past weekend...is a little cheaper than the Lifestraw...also smaller. It's also available on their website (free shipping). Might save you a few bucks.

Sawyer mini does a better job at filtering than the Lifestraw... good buy!

I look for items that have multiple uses. For example, a hand crank radio that is also a flashlight and cell phone charger.

But yeah, start with the basics, water, food, shelter, defense. Then anything else is gravy.

For water, any of the survival straws are great, plus water treatment tabs are small. I also carry two metal water bottles (so I can boil in them).

For food, ration bars have your caloric needs, but I also like the dehydrated camping meals (like beef stew, etc.). they are light and long-lasting (and tasty). cans are just heavy

For shelter, depends on where you live. I just have a good rain poncho.

For defense, I like a small caliber pistol, so you can also use it for hunting. Besides, if you are shooting at someone, they won't care about bullet size. I can carry a ton of .22 ammo.

I look for items that have multiple uses. For example, a hand crank radio that is also a flashlight and cell phone charger.

But yeah, start with the basics, water, food, shelter, defense. Then anything else is gravy.

For water, any of the survival straws are great, plus water treatment tabs are small. I also carry two metal water bottles (so I can boil in them).

For food, ration bars have your caloric needs, but I also like the dehydrated camping meals (like beef stew, etc.). they are light and long-lasting (and tasty). cans are just heavy

For shelter, depends on where you live. I just have a good rain poncho.

For defense, I like a small caliber pistol, so you can also use it for hunting. Besides, if you are shooting at someone, they won't care about bullet size. I can carry a ton of .22 ammo.
I like the metal water bottle idea. One thing I will add to my list!

Latest posts

Back