Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. No rain for me. I'm going to water after is cools. It is 91 here and I don't want to overheat 2 days in a row.
Good idea. Take care of yourself.

Can anyone tell me- I can't remember what crops cross pollinate. I plan to be more organized at saving seed this year, but which blossoms do I need to bag if I am saving them? Or has someone found a better way?

If you are saving seeds , only plant one type of each . Different types of squash will cross like yellow crook neck , zucchini , winter , summer . Same with any other veggies . Not that crossing is always bad . Everything we plant has been crossed at some point .
Good idea. Take care of yourself.

Can anyone tell me- I can't remember what crops cross pollinate. I plan to be more organized at saving seed this year, but which blossoms do I need to bag if I am saving them? Or has someone found a better way?

If you are saving seeds , only plant one type of each . Different types of squash will cross like yellow crook neck , zucchini , winter , summer . Same with any other veggies . Not that crossing is always bad . Everything we plant has been crossed at some point .
Ok, maybe I'll just buy extra seeds again then. Thank you!

I have a cross that I have been using for 4 years. It is yellow summer and black zucchini cross. We really like it.

On NewsMax - today , they said there is now a bill up that requires all U.S. citizen to register their garden with the government .

Don’t do it!!! It is looking more and more like we are all going to have to rely on our local government and Sheriff to stop this attempt at starving us all!! Stalin wanted to know where all the farms were too.

Attachments

• 1000000050.jpg
    1000000050.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
F... the government. I'll never register my garden or livestock. Actually, a lot of my cattle were registered, just not with the government.

More importantly, we finished planting the garden a couple days ago. The new concord grape plants are looking good. The wife planted 75 super hot pepper plants and 70 tomato plants. We're still getting a lot of asparagus and the potato plants are starting to come. All of the fruit trees are done blooming. If we don't get a late frost or hail, we should have a good garden this year.

I just got more winter seeds in the mail today. I ordered more stuff that can overwinter or will be ready in early spring.

I'm curious, if anyone is willing to tell me, how much you guys plant? We have about 1300 sq ft of garden space and at least half of that is for grains. I do intercrop, but I am always just nosey about how others do things! I'd like to add more, but I think I'm at my max on workload!!

Nothing wrong with saving seeds . I save some and buy others every year .
I used to save seeds before I got sick, but I don't remember what I did. I know I bagged the blossoms of squash that I didn't want to cross pollinate and I just timed my corn varieties by DTM, but I don't remember what in the heck I did with anything else!

Maybe I need to buy a book on seed saving.

I just got more winter seeds in the mail today. I ordered more stuff that can overwinter or will be ready in early spring.

I'm curious, if anyone is willing to tell me, how much you guys plant? We have about 1300 sq ft of garden space and at least half of that is for grains. I do intercrop, but I am always just nosey about how others do things! I'd like to add more, but I think I'm at my max on workload!!

I used to save seeds before I got sick, but I don't remember what I did. I know I bagged the blossoms of squash that I didn't want to cross pollinate and I just timed my corn varieties by DTM, but I don't remember what in the heck I did with anything else!

Maybe I need to buy a book on seed saving.
Our garden/orchard area is about 80'×300'. We have 28 fruit trees, several varieties of grapes, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. We actually cut our garden area in half. We don't have anyone to share the produce with, and we didn't like throwing so much of it away.

My gardens are small. I have a 15x 6 in the ground and 4 raised beds 3×6 , a 8 × 10 greenhouse and about 18 planter pots of various sizes. I also have amaranth and other edibles along the house flower beds.

I have 2 Orange 1 Satsuma 1 Lemon 2 Fig 1 Mayhaw trees. Muscatine vines, Huckleberry bushes, Blackberry, Elderberry and Blueberry.

Not many here want to do any work on a vegetable garden at this time I have the space, seeds and equipment to expand as much as is needed if they do.

We don't have anyone to share the produce with, and we didn't like throwing so much of it away.
That's still a lot of space. I always hate throwing food out, too, though.

Not many here want to do any work on a vegetable garden at this time I have the space, seeds and equipment to expand as much as is needed if they do.
It is so time consuming, so I can understand that.

Mine is probably one of the smaller garden set ups on here. With hubby refusing to have trees taken down, I can’t grow any more than I currently have. When things get bad though, he will see the light and we will expand. I‘ve bought a ton of seeds and saved them. I do have a greenhouse that I plant in year round. We have a vineyard and small orchard too. Lost all but one blueberry bush last winter, so I need to replace them. Sigh. Hazelnut trees are growing. My garden I think is 15’x 30’. I do have a 5’ x 12 raised bed too. Plus lots of herbs growing around my fruit trees. It is more than enough to feed us with crops left over. Wish I had space to grow a lot of grains.

Last edited:
Got my order from Strictly Medicinal today. Hopefully the Moringa will germinate from these seeds. I need a space to plant the Stinging Nettle. Got to do some thinking on that.
I know this sounds crazy...but i put my stinging nettles in pots behind the house. Then divided the following yr into more pots. That way i could control the spread and keep the children from getting stung. But my 16 yr old thought it would be fun to wake up his sister with a plant in the middle of the night. She was so mad. The nettles grow well in pots and winter over fine in wnc. I had greens until the 0 degree freeze snap.

I do have a greenhouse that I plant in year round.

I am still trying to convince my husband to invest in one, but I think that is so important. I really think it would allow us to completely be independent of grocery stores.

I have never grown as many grains as I am this year, but I think we need them. I don't have as many in store as I would like, so I want to save those. I eat a lot of grain currently and I am growing some feed grains for the first time for the animals. We planted alfalfa, turnips, oats, and will be planting triticale in small patches. We'll see how it goes!

Got an early start in the gardens this morning. Wanted to get them watered and I tied up the squash and zucchini, put more string in the bean garden so they more to climb on. They are looking good.

I always buy jute string, but yesterday I bought a spool of 20,000 ft baling twine for not much more than A few hundred feet of jute.($30) It will last for years because I remove the strings and store them over winter.

I'm also using it to wrap the tomatoes so they don't fall and break.

Latest posts

Back