Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We planted two different radishes yesterday and it rained real slow all night off and on...then it rained again this afternoon for about an hour. Thank God for rain. My BIL came over and we talked gardens. He had to fill up both of his 2000 liter / 350 gallon water tanks and drip water his garden from the middle of May till Sep last year--twice a week. We are in June and he has yet to water his garden a single time this year we have had such a regular and enough railfall so far.

Couple of pics of the garden and how I have the beans climbing strings.

Attachments

• 20230606_123148.jpg
    20230606_123148.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_123130.jpg
    20230606_123130.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I harvested my spinach seeds yesterday . Some of the seeds are still in the garden as they are not yet ready for harvest . Looking at my journal the harvested seeds will be due to be replanted in mid August or about two months from now . They grow all winter even through way below freezing temperatures and getting buried under snow . Actually they have stayed green even around 0 temperatures . I have put them under row covers for the colder temperatures but have discovered there is no need for that as they don't need the extra protection . -- There is a huge difference in different spinach Varieties and have grown some that simply taste bad . The variety that I have settled on for our survival is delicious , way better than that crap in a can . I will go back and see if I can pull up the name of this spinach for you guys . --- I found my saved original spinach seed purchase empty packet , though I now use my own saved seeds with good germination and growing results . It is " Giant Winter Spinach " that I purchased from " Gaea's Blessing " via the internet .

Last edited:
I made the mistake last fall of covering my strawberries with old hay . This spring when I uncovered them found those that were buried deep under the hay simply died . Luckly for me a few of the plants had managed to put up a chute through the hay and got a bit of what they needed , thus survived . I am now cultivating my surviving plants runners to reclaim the dead parts of the bed . Perhaps some of you have more knowledge in growing strawberries .

I could have picked 10 times this much . But just wanted sides to go with a couple steaks for me and the Wife tonight . I'll have to call the Kids and Grandkids over to raid the garden so it doesn't get out of control . I work 60 hours a week so it can get away from Us .View attachment 20029
Aren't we neighbors Psalm? I must have gotten a late start. I have snow peas and tiny cucumber so far. My squash, beans and tomatoes are blooming though.

I have more tomato plants this year, so I need to add another row of wire and strings. I tried to put in the tee posts and the clay soil is so rock hard, I couldn't make a dent. I'll have to wait for a good rain because the garden is too far away for the water hose to reach.

Latest posts

Back