Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all know California isn't anything like the "real" world. Don't the farmers in California know that there are a lot of dry land crops that will grow without irrigation? Maybe they just want to piss and moan waiting for a government (tax payer) handout. Much of my state has no irrigation, but yet there are100's of thousands of acres being farmed without irrigation.

Last edited:
We all know California isn't anything like the "real" world. Don't the farmers in California know that there are a lot of dry land crops that will grow without irrigation? Maybe they just want to piss and moan waiting for a government (tax payer) handout. Much of my state has no irrigation, but yet there are100's of thousands of acres being farmed without irrigation.
I will give you that. Still saw fields with a water intensive crop like cotton. The crop that PO me off the most is grapes. They lower the groundwater levels immensely.

"There simply will not be enough fertilizer for European farmers in 2023.

And there won’t be enough for everyone else that depends on fertilizer production from Europe.

This is a really big deal, because without fertilizer we would only be able to feed approximately half the planet."

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...g-be-far-worse-most-people-would-dare-imagine

And the nations that are the least affected by food shortages are the most vaccinated. Then theres no energy so freezing is there. A world Hot war to top it all off. There's death coming for everyone.

And the nations that are the least affected by food shortages are the most vaccinated. Then theres no energy so freezing is there. A world Hot war to top it all off. There's death coming for everyone.
Don't know about death but, defiantly challenging times for sure.

I got this from another site. I would get whatever you can now, that you will need for the next few years.

I am going to tell you now to stock up on things while it is cheap enough. Both meat and grain. Check and double check for a 3 year rough ride and this is based on the expectation of Fall rains to set us up for Spring. If we don't get that, the markets are going to be rocked.
He and fellow ranchers have sold off the yearlings trying to save feed for the cows so that they can breed. And they are not even sure if that is wise coming into Fall.
And there is no feed. A normal year yields 35 to 40 bushels an acre, the updated forecast for MT is 6 bushels an acre of poor quality grain. This is coming from the 4th largest wheat producer in the Nation. Canada is fairing worse, as is ND. Much of Europe is being flooded out. So, yeah. Increasing demand and poor performance is leading to something bad. My hackles are up on this one.
And it is not just wheat, the Farmers and Ranchers are getting seriously concerned. They tell me it is worse than '88 and they are approaching the nightmare of the great depression. The Government tells us it is worse weatherwise, so far, with tech, they have been hedging. This is no longer viable and people are writing the losses off. The Grasshopper kill has been the nail in what was a hard year. They have stopped spraying to kill them as it is not worth it. As it is it costs 20 bucks an acre to spray on a normal year. They cannot keep doing this.
I am not even sure I want to post this on the main forum yet. But, I love you all and want you to be aware. The press talks about it but, they down play it as not to induce panic, especially since some States are talking lockdowns again.
Interesting to note the sudden disappearance of billions of snow crabs as well as the lack of salmon to sell in Alaska. The attempt of the progressive movement to increase production of plant based meat just makes the timing very interesting.

In New Zealand they are talking about a tax for belching cows. No shit. How bizarre can you possibly get. Also don't forget Bill Gates is a huge owner of farmland in the United States as well as China being the owner of some of the largest meat producers in the country. Do you think they have your best interest in mind?

Interesting to note the sudden disappearance of billions of snow crabs as well as the lack of salmon to sell in Alaska. The attempt of the progressive movement to increase production of plant based meat just makes the timing very interesting.

In New Zealand they are talking about a tax for belching cows. No shit. How bizarre can you possibly get. Also don't forget Bill Gates is a huge owner of farmland in the United States as well as China being the owner of some of the largest meat producers in the country. Do you think they have your best interest in mind?

...Cows fart less than my husband. I'm a little concerned.

It has been my experience that imtercropping, succession planting, and permaculture can double or triple the produce you can grow, but I agree. Some things like oil crops, feed crops, grains, etc., just need space.

Where I am, we can sugar our trees for sweetener. Grains we would grow more quinoa and corn. Oil- sunflowers, but we couldn't use as much as we use now. We'd have to adapt to use less salt and season with herbs instead.

I assume if things got really bad, we just would be learning to eat a lot of bland soups and stews! That's ok. Life would change, but life is always changing. Our diets would just be very different.

I have studied food culture because of an observation and a comment made by my grandmother that "we cooked with what we can get".

Traditional recipes, those associated with specific cultures tend to be regional. They use ingredients that are readily available in a certain area. Those things that are available are those that grow either naturally or easily.

For instance, the tortilla...the one's we think of as "Mexican", the kind you get from Taco Bell, you know the fluffy wraps... are not authentic. They are a North American version with added flour from wheat. The central American ones are made entirely corn based.

Trying to grow plants that are not naturally suited to your area is resource and labor intensive. It is a luxury of modern transportation and trade. In a SHTF scenario, will not make a lot of sense to be trying to grow things not easy to grow based on natural precipitation, weather, soil conditions and diseases.

The INTENTIONAL demise can be blamed on "government climate change". This is the first cancellation that I have ever heard of with the Alaskan crab season.

In New Zealand they are talking about a tax for belching cows. No shit. How bizarre can you possibly get.
This is true and there was protests up and down the country over it. There's also penalties for owning diesel vehicles which is yet another attack on our farmers, and there were protests over that too.

The government is in the process of having a billion radiata pine trees planted to offset just 10% of the country's methane emissions. Much of the land being planted with pine trees used to be for beef and sheep farms. We export most of the timber and leave our building industry scrambling to source framing timber, which is contributing to our housing crisis.

We produce enough food to feed 40 million people but most of it is exported and the 5 million citizens here can barely afford to feed themselves.

The attack on farmers just keep on coming. Protests achieve nothing because the government doesn't care so long as they're getting rich.

This is true and there was protests up and down the country over it. There's also penalties for owning diesel vehicles which is yet another attack on our farmers, and there were protests over that too.

The government is in the process of having a billion radiata pine trees planted to offset just 10% of the country's methane emissions. Much of the land being planted with pine trees used to be for beef and sheep farms. We export most of the timber and leave our building industry scrambling to source framing timber, which is contributing to our housing crisis.

We produce enough food to feed 40 million people but most of it is exported and the 5 million citizens here can barely afford to feed themselves.

The attack on farmers just keep on coming. Protests achieve nothing because the government doesn't care so long as they're getting rich.

Start being hostile and non-compliant.

Traditional recipes, those associated with specific cultures tend to be regional. They use ingredients that are readily available in a certain area. Those things that are available are those that grow either naturally or easily.
Very correct, we can survive quite well without Argentine Beef, Egyptian cotton, African coffee from Starbucks, South American cocaine and Korean clothing, alongside with Chinese electronics and kiwi from New Zealand......
If we eat what comes from the local area, decided by the weather and which crops came up, which grow naturally, and use the local herbs as spices, and eating that which is there according to the time of year, there is no reason why we could not survive.
Our only problem is having enough clothing to keep warm and healthy if they start to get worn out. Weaving and sewing are not the normal high volume knowledge areas today.
Cooking with less spices and baking with local varieties of flour is healthy too.

I have studied food culture because of an observation and a comment made by my grandmother that "we cooked with what we can get".

For instance, the tortilla...the one's we think of as "Mexican", the kind you get from Taco Bell, you know the fluffy wraps... are not authentic. They are a North American version with added flour from wheat. The central American ones are made entirely corn based.

Trying to grow plants that are not naturally suited to your area is resource and labor intensive. It is a luxury of modern transportation and trade. In a SHTF scenario, will not make a lot of sense to be trying to grow things not easy to grow based on natural precipitation, weather, soil conditions and diseases.
Yep. That's one of the things I think is so important about saving your own seeds and trying to develop varieties that do well in your microclimate.

Weirdly enough, I had a native American cookbook for a long time. It had recipes like these sunflower seed fritters and nettle seed porridge and stuff. They really weren't bad, either. There are even plenty of native herbs and seasonings like spice bush around here.

My problem is my love of salt. I would struggle with that one.

Yep. That's one of the things I think is so important about saving your own seeds and trying to develop varieties that do well in your microclimate.

Weirdly enough, I had a native American cookbook for a long time. It had recipes like these sunflower seed fritters and nettle seed porridge and stuff. They really weren't bad, either. There are even plenty of native herbs and seasonings like spice bush around here.

My problem is my love of salt. I would struggle with that one.

I love salt too! We are lucky that out at BOL2 there are many deposits of salt available. I figure they will be doing a good trade in it.

I put in an order this week for my son to bring home 40 lb. ground turkey, a case of bonelss, skinless, chicken breasts, 2 cases of ramen noodes (yes, ramen noodles, they keep well and we eat them with bone broth over them). I was planning on canning the ground turkey and some of the chicken this weekend. He calls me from work yesterday afternoon telling me all out of stock!

Not sure why, but having trouble believing that. The co he works for provides food deliveries to restaurants (big company). I am working on a plan B for today which may involve dreadfully going to Costco or Sams club. Aaarggh!

Look to the history of your area. Many heirloom crops are still around because they grew well in your area for centuries and recipes evolved to use them. For instance where I live in Appalachia running beans, field peas, sweet potatoes, some form of pumpkin or squash and corn were extremely easy crops to grow and still are today. They all stored well without canning or electricity and thrive in the southern summer heat. Every small farm had a corn crib, leather britches (dried snap beans) hanging and dried beans. Hogs could be allowed to forage on acorns and such in the mountains back then and each farmer had a particular ear notch to identify theirs. Versatility is also a necessity. For instance corn has so many uses other than corn syrup and ethanol. Eaten not only fresh off the cob but easily dried for corn meal for tortillas and cornbread, hominy and grits, ground for animal feed and the stalks chopped and fermented for silage for animals as well and stored in large pits. And we can't forget the alcohol or moonshine that earned a little extra money on the side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back