Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look to the history of your area. Many heirloom crops are still around because they grew well in your area for centuries and recipes evolved to use them. For instance where I live in Appalachia running beans, field peas, sweet potatoes, some form of pumpkin or squash and corn were extremely easy crops to grow and still are today. They all stored well without canning or electricity and thrive in the southern summer heat. Every small farm had a corn crib, leather britches (dried snap beans) hanging and dried beans. Hogs could be allowed to forage on acorns and such in the mountains back then and each farmer had a particular ear notch to identify theirs. Versatility is also a necessity. For instance corn has so many uses other than corn syrup and ethanol. Eaten not only fresh off the cob but easily dried for corn meal for tortillas and cornbread, hominy and grits, ground for animal feed and the stalks chopped and fermented for silage for animals as well and stored in large pits. And we can't forget the alcohol or moonshine that earned a little extra money on the side.

It is why here in the States you have Southern cooking (things like collard greens, grits and corn bread, Midwestern cooking (stews, soups, mashed potatoes)...

One of my favorite cookbooks is an old Cowboy cookbook. It uses old recipes that the "Cookies" used to serve out on the range. They were able to carry only so many extra supplies with them and then had to improvise. The meals had to be intense in calories, feed many people, be cost, resource and time efficient.

As you might guess it has many recipes using beef, corn (and other dried vegetables) and not many using turkey or flour. Things like sage and rosemary were herbs that could be found just growing (at least along the Chisholm trail). A recipe using Mexican Plums or blackberries might make a dessert since those were also found naturally and would provide some fresh food.

I have been wanting a cookie wagon for a while now to take on the 100 mile Red Stegall ride into Fort Worth. But, I digress.

One of the more obvious things we have growing naturally at BOL2 is wild dill...It grows 6' + tall and is all over the place like a weed.

1666447304099.png

I put in an order this week for my son to bring home 40 lb. ground turkey, a case of bonelss, skinless, chicken breasts, 2 cases of ramen noodes (yes, ramen noodles, they keep well and we eat them with bone broth over them). I was planning on canning the ground turkey and some of the chicken this weekend. He calls me from work yesterday afternoon telling me all out of stock!

Not sure why, but having trouble believing that. The co he works for provides food deliveries to restaurants (big company). I am working on a plan B for today which may involve dreadfully going to Costco or Sams club. Aaarggh!
We are still able to get chicken, but our deli section has a sign up about there being a turkey shortage. Assuming because the government stepped in and killed all those birds because of the "bird flu pandemic" earlier this year. Glad I still have a turkey in the freezer for Thanksgiving this year. Apparently we should be very THANKFULLY! That is if we get to live that long and not get freaking Nuked. . . .

We can still get everything here but clearly not as much as before and being rationed. I am still shopping for the daily needs since we can get anything still and do not want to touch my preps and stored foodstuffs. I had to pay $75 for two EMPTY propane tanks yesterday...normally they would only cost about $20 but the market is closed and lots of people are collecting them for winter and not selling them anymore. Each tank holds about enough propane to cook for 3 months.

It is a little more complicated than that. Stalin hated the land owners...the people that owned the farms. Especially the Kulaks (people who owned more than 8 acres). During Dekulakization (1930's), the Bolsheviks took farms by force and most often killed the registered owners (Stalin's hanging orders and local revolts). Sometimes instead they would send them to labor camps (you will see some of those people in the video below) or, even more rarely, pushed them into the cities as factory labor.

To be clear, at first they came for the wealthy land owners. Then for the middle class owners, then the peasants (by the 1930's the average Boleshevik raid of personal assets netted $80-$200.)

Didn't matter if you had gone along with the "collectivization" or not. If you were still running the farm, you were a blood sucking thief and the State knew better how to do it. He appointed academics and party yes men, who had never set foot in a field, to oversee planting and production. It was a massive failure.

Initially there were two types of collective farms: Kolkhozy (cooperative-run farms) and Sovkhozy (state-run farms).

To show how they were hamstrung: By the 1970's only 1% of farms remained owned by individuals (those who had successfully played the communist game). Those farms were responsible for 27% of the production. 99% of farms were collective...and only produced 73% of the food.

Initially there were two types of collective farms: Kolkhozy (cooperative-run farms) and Sovkhozy (state-run farms). Eventually the two were one in the same as the peasants who had initially been "given" land had it taken away by the government.

Here is an old video from the 1950's, created for American consumption...oh how wonderfully the system was working...NOT

You want to see true starvation and shortages, let farming in America go the way of fascistic partnerships of Government and Corporate farming.

Last edited:
There are a lot of these progressive liberal 20 somethings buying themselves property and then "homesteading" who don't think the WEF will apply their "You will own nothing" policy to them because they are "sustainably" and organically farming and vote blue. History, says otherwise.

Last edited:
There are a lot of these progressive liberal 20 somethings buying themselves property and then "homesteading" who don't think the WEF will apply their "You will own nothing" policy to them. History, says otherwise.
Since I am in an area with rich progressive liberals, I wish somebody would buy the ranch a mile up the road from me.
I like the house, barn, shop, and land. Just don’t like the neighbors up there. Too close.
Very few Silicon Valley types could make it up here. I laugh at the ones who try.
They have got people warning each other about target shooting. I warned them that quail season runs from Oct 15 to Jan 29th. Turkey season will be my next warning.
WTF we all have 20a, except the one for sale with 49.

Since I am in an area with rich progressive liberals, I wish somebody would buy the ranch a mile up the road from me.
I like the house, barn, shop, and land. Just don’t like the neighbors up there. Too close.
Very few Silicon Valley types could make it up here. I laugh at the ones who try.
They have got people warning each other about target shooting. I warned them that quail season runs from Oct 15 to Jan 29th. Turkey season will be my next warning.

Back when I used to do a lot of trail riding during deer season on large acreage (1000 acre ranch that also had deer leases and State and National parks that allowed riding and hunting), both me and my horse wore hunter orange.

You can legally hunt here in Texas on 10 acres. Can't say that I haven't worried about my horses at pasture catching a stray rifle shot from time to time though. Shotguns, don't worry me much.

Any more though, if we go do target practice here, we do call the county Sheriff just to let them know. Too many Californian transplants around here now that freak out when they hear gunshots and call the cops.

Back when I used to do a lot of trail riding during deer season on large acreage (1000 acre ranch that also had deer leases and State and National parks that allowed riding and hunting), both me and my horse wore hunter orange.

You can legally hunt here in Texas on 10 acres. Can't say that I haven't worried about my horses at pasture catching a stray rifle shot from time to time though. Shotguns, don't worry me much.

Any more though, if we go do target practice here, we do call the county Sheriff just to let them know. Too many Californian transplants around here now that freak out when they hear gunshots and call the cops.
The only decent newbie up there is a deputy. He bows to their demands and says to let 911 know.
The judge halfway up shoots when he wants. I call them out and tell them I am not warning anyone when a predator is after my livestock.
I guess I have too much redneck in me for California

Gotta say, that's weird to me. We live in redneck country and all weekend long you hear gunshots. I worry sometimes about my kids being out in our woods during hunting season un case some idiot is hunting on our land. We just try to keep them out of the woods.

We moved in here 21 years ago, in the middle of December, right before Christmas. New Year's eve was a big, fat, welcome to Texas y'all.

The clock hits midnight and I hear a machine guns going off, close...in obvious celebration. My neighbor at the time collected old WWII guns and instead of fireworks, he and his son...yep.

Doesn't bother anyone here except the uppities who moved in here recently for the view of the lake from the top of the "mountain". The rest of us don't hardly hear it anymore.

I'll tell you a little story about living in the "rich" areas.
When we lived in Florida we had a HOA. When we bought in, it wasn't a crazy HOA that enforced the by laws like no work trucks parked on the drive, no kids toys left visible...then a childless old couple from New York moved in two doors down and started causing problems for the entire neighborhood.

Being retired, they would sit in their Mercades outside of every house in the neighborhood and write down every "violation", like roof needs pressure washing, bushes need trimming, child's play scape visible from the street etc.

In the midst of this, my husband's uncle came for a visit. He is a multi millionaire who has always lived well below his means, verry down to earth, still lives in the first house he ever bought and had a small condo to the south of us.

Uncle Tom can't sit still so, he and my husband replaced the cracking toilet in the kid's bathroom (he is a plumber and business owner).

Over dinner we were telling him about this couple and the problems they had been causing. He gets up from the table, grabs the old toilet out of the garage. Sticks it out on the front lawn and plops a potted plant in it! He tells me "You leave this there. Call it artistic expression and MAKE them make you take it away."

The couple put their home up for sale a couple of weeks later and THANKFULLY (the neighborhood actually threw a party) moved out.

Yep. Love Uncle T!

Last edited:
The people who will go hungry in the coming years will do so because of....wait for it. Drumroll please...Fossil Fuel Addiction!

according to a report Tuesday in the prestigious medical journal Lancet.

“Our health is at the mercy of fossil fuels,” said University College of London health and climate researcher Marina Romanello, executive director of the Lancet Countdown. “We’re seeing a persistent addiction to fossil fuels that is not only amplifying the health impacts of climate change, but which is also now at this point compounding with other concurrent crises that we’re globally facing, including the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the cost-of-living crisis, energy crisis and food crisis that were triggered after the war in Ukraine.”

---

In praising the report, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres put it even more bluntly than the doctors: “The climate crisis is killing us.”

New analysis in the report blamed 98 million more cases of self-reported hunger around the world in 2020, compared to 1981-2010, on “days of extreme heat increasing in frequency and intensity due to climate change."

Researchers looked at 103 countries and found that 26.4% of the population experienced what scientists call “food insecurity” and in a simulated world without climate change’s effects that would have only been 22.7%, Romanello said.

“Can I say that every bit of food insecurity is due to climate change? Of course not. But we think that in this complex web of causes, it is a very significant contributor and it’s only going to get worse,” said pediatrician Dr. Anthony Costello, Lancet Countdown co-chair and head of the University College of London’s Global Health Institute.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...sedgntp&cvid=18c3c5a8b8874cc9aa4d498a158460e1

I'll tell you a little story about living in the "rich" areas.
When we lived in Florida we had a HOA. When we bought in, it wasn't a crazy HOA that enforced the by laws like no work trucks parked on the drive, no kids toys left visible...then a childless old couple from New York moved in two doors down and started causing problems for the entire neighborhood.

Being retired, they would sit in their Mercades outside of every house in the neighborhood and write down every "violation", like roof needs pressure washing, bushes need trimming, child's play scape visible from the street etc.

In the midst of this, my husband's uncle came for a visit. He is a multi millionaire who has always lived well below his means, verry down to earth, still lives in the first house he ever bought and had a small condo to the south of us.

Uncle Tom can't sit still so, he and my husband replaced the cracking toilet in the kid's bathroom (he is a plumber and business owner).

Over dinner we were telling him about this couple and the problems they had been causing. He gets up from the table, grabs the old toilet out of the garage. Sticks it out on the front lawn and plops a potted plant in it! He tells me "You leave this there. Call it artistic expression and MAKE them make you take it away."

The couple put their home up for sale a couple of weeks later and THANKFULLY (the neighborhood actually threw a party) moved out.

Yep. Love Uncle T!
In NY that would be called 315er lawn art after the area code. 518er for people from NYC. Lived in both those area codes.

Latest posts

Back