Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rule of thumb I have always seen is 1-2 acres per person needs to produce for a year's worth of food. A back yard with 1/10 of an acre a couple and then two kids like most suburban homes...isn't going to swing it.
The Indians made maximum use of land with the "Three Sisters."
Corn, pole beans that climbed the corn stalk, and squash to outcompete weeds around the base of the corn stalk. Three different plants in the same space that one normally needed.
Plus, the three combined provided balanced nutrition.

It has been my experience that imtercropping, succession planting, and permaculture can double or triple the produce you can grow, but I agree. Some things like oil crops, feed crops, grains, etc., just need space.

Where I am, we can sugar our trees for sweetener. Grains we would grow more quinoa and corn. Oil- sunflowers, but we couldn't use as much as we use now. We'd have to adapt to use less salt and season with herbs instead.

I assume if things got really bad, we just would be learning to eat a lot of bland soups and stews! That's ok. Life would change, but life is always changing. Our diets would just be very different.

The Indians made maximum use of land with the "Three Sisters."
Corn, pole beans that climbed the corn stalk, and squash to outcompete weeds around the base of the corn stalk. Three different plants in the same space that one normally needed.
Plus, the three combined provided balanced nutrition.

It was less about weeds and more about what nutrients the plants take up and give back to the soil. It is symbiosis and disease resistance etc. The three sisters are not the only ones.

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/companion-planting/

Last edited:
That's ok. Life would change, but life is always changing. Our diets would just be very different.

THAT is exactly the attitude everyone needs to take!! God blessed our bodies with the ability to adapt to “like” different foods. When I first started drinking red wine I didn’t like it. Now it tastes great! Same with so many other foods I’ve made myself eat…the Types that benefit the body.

I am glad that the Dutch farmers are willing to stand up. They will be demanding in the streets again banding together. I can only hope that is what our country would do too. Especially for us small farmers. We NEED to stand for the larger industries. We have a BIG government to fight. WE HAVE TO STAND UNITED!!

The sheople are so blind as to what is happening around the world. If any "normies" read through this thread, they would be astonished; or perhaps they would just keep calling us "conspiracy theorists". It's right in front of their faces. I feel sorry for NONE of them.

Bird flu deaths soar to near-record high: 47million have been culled this year - amid fears virus could jump to people

Remember in California there was forced euthanasia for backyard flocks a few years ago?

If it comes to it, my chickens will be housed in my bathroom because I'm not putting them down.

I don't know about other areas, but around here I'm seeing a lot more land being put in to production. Much of this increased land is new hay ground but a lot is being planted in grain too. Many ranchers are adding more cattle to their herds. I just finished planting alfalfa and grass on land that had probably never been farmed before. Next year we plan on adding more cattle. I'm still seeing semi truck loads of fertilizer being delivered around the area. If there's food and fertilizer shortages going on, I'm not seeing it in my area.

Latest posts

Back