EMP-shield for small devices

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things regarding the E1 component...

1) The 1958 test was before CMOS technology was commercialized (by RCA in the 60's), so the result of that test is absolutely useless today (short of telling us what is produced electromagnetically).
2) All one needs to do to protect their equipment from the E1 component is to install TVS diodes after the fuse (to ground) and before the rest of the circuit. They go from an open circuit to a dead short extremely fast in response to surges. Once it triggers, it continues to shunt the surge until the fuse (fast burn in this case) blows disconnecting the device from power. Cheap insurance and no need for a faraday cage.

What has been on my mind lately is whether or not the box of TVR 14241 MOV's I have would also work. One of those saved my neighbors battery charger from a lightning strike (hence my purchasing 100 of them) ~ I needed one to fix the charger and all I could find is a bulk box. Now I have 99 left lol.
Do you think CMOS are present in my powergenerator/inverter? Are these in all electronics today?

Yes, there certainly are MOSFETS in inverters (CMOS are merely complimentary MOSFETS in a push pull configuration). What kind of generator do you have? I cannot see why a generator would have an inverter as they are already AC devices. Are you using a gas generator or batteries/inverter?

Yes, they are in almost all commercial electronics nowadays as they require very little current to operate compared to bipolar transistors.

Interesting side note. Once upon a time, EMP-proof magnetic "amplifiers" saw limit use, especially in rockets or places where vacuum tubes might be destroyed. There was even an audio amplifier built using this technology. It is essentially an iron or ferrite core inductor carrying AC current with a larger control winding. When DC is applied to a transformer, the core saturates (which is the same to the AC signal as removing the core). Removing the core (or saturating it) causes the inductive reactance of the AC winding to drop which allows more current to pass through it. To use that as an amplifier, the ac control signal is of a magnitude such that the control signal controls the saturation of the core (hence the necessity of a sharp B-H curve).

Last edited:
Yes, there certainly are MOSFETS in inverters (CMOS are merely complimentary MOSFETS in a push pull configuration). What kind of generator do you have? I cannot see why a generator would have an inverter as they are already AC devices. Are you using a gas generator or batteries/inverter?

Yes, they are in almost all commercial electronics nowadays as they require very little current to operate compared to bipolar transistors.

Interesting side note. Once upon a time, EMP-proof magnetic "amplifiers" saw limit use, especially in rockets or places where vacuum tubes might be destroyed. There was even an audio amplifier built using this technology. It is essentially an iron or ferrite core inductor carrying AC current with a larger control winding. When DC is applied to a transformer, the core saturates (which is the same to the AC signal as removing the core). Removing the core (or saturating it) causes the inductive reactance of the AC winding to drop which allows more current to pass through it. To use that as an amplifier, the ac control signal is of a magnitude such that the control signal controls the saturation of the core (hence the necessity of a sharp B-H curve).
Thanx.
Very interesting amplifier, was it any good? Can you use it for HiFi?
I have this box with all my stuff, including the smaller smoker so its 2-layer nested.
Its a petrol-genenerator and it says its a inverter. There is led-display that shows Watts and Amps so clearly it containes semi-conductors.
image.jpg

I cannot see why a generator would have an inverter as they are already AC devices. Are you using a gas generator or batteries/inverter?
Yes, it's a thing.
The idea is to use the generator to charge onboard batteries which then power an inverter instead of delivering A/C power directly. The generator engine doesn't have to run at a constant RPM since the battery charger input voltage and frequency can fluctuate without causing any problem. It is supposedly more efficient since the engine doesn't have to run flat out all the time.

Downside is that because they contains batteries and an inverter, they have smaller output for the same size and weight as straight generators, and are more expensive for a given rating.

I essentially do the same thing, but not all in one unit. I use a generator to recharge an AGM battery bank for a 6/12 KW inverter. The generator doesn't have to run all the time for me to have constant A/C power.
But in my case, while the batteries are charging, I use the A/C from the generator instead of from the inverter.

Thanx DrHenley, very helpfull. I have a switch I can flip going from full speed all the time or use the possibility to run lower rpm if the load is lower, now I understand how this works. I also think sensitive electronics are running better with a inverter because you get very steady current.

Would it be possible to test a EMP-box with the HF from a microwave oven? You could bypass the door-breaker on the oven and place the it close to the EMP-box and run for one minute. One could have a HF-meter inside the box and se how much gets through.

Would it be possible to test a EMP-box with the HF from a microwave oven? You could bypass the door-breaker on the oven and place the it close to the EMP-box and run for one minute. One could have a HF-meter inside the box and se how much gets through.
No, because microwave ovens run at around 2.4GHz only and many things block that frequency. If you want to test the effectiveness at specific frequencies, it is better to put a receiver in the box and see if it can still receive. Although it is a safer method than setting the RF in your microwave oven free, the broadbanded nature of these EMP events makes this type of test kinda pointless.

You could always build an explosively pumped flux compression device and test it yourself... Wikipedia has some really nice drawings on how they work :) Obviously I am not suggesting building a big one, but perhaps something the size of a beer can. You should be able to get a couple terawatts out of a device that size. They are disturbingly simple devices to build :)

No, because microwave ovens run at around 2.4GHz only and many things block that frequency. If you want to test the effectiveness at specific frequencies, it is better to put a receiver in the box and see if it can still receive. Although it is a safer method than setting the RF in your microwave oven free, the broadbanded nature of these EMP events makes this type of test kinda pointless.

You could always build an explosively pumped flux compression device and test it yourself... Wikipedia has some really nice drawings on how they work :) Obviously I am not suggesting building a big one, but perhaps something the size of a beer can. You should be able to get a couple terawatts out of a device that size. They are disturbingly simple devices to build :)
Terawatts??? Are you serious? I will check that out…

Well, without knowing exactly what you are doing and getting the timing of it all just right, maybe less, but a little practice and some pissed off neighbors and you should be able to get it dialed in lol

I am borderline joking that you should build one, but it is a realistic possibility for one to be able to do so.

Last edited:
I used to destroy calculators and alarm clocks with nothing more than 4 turns of 14awg wire and a standard million volt stun gun. Simply arcing the stun gun to the coil with the coil in close proximity to the device is all it takes.. However, that will be nowhere near strong enough to work through any metal enclosure or more than an inch or two through the air ~ its gotta be really close.

Last edited:
You could build something with a range of a few feet if you can find one of those really big electrolytic capacitors (like used for power cable thumping) and charge it up to a few hundred volts. Problem is, if you screw up and touch it, you will end up dead.

I see now that the curcuit for this EMP device is similar to a Tesla-coil, i guess the low-voltage coil in a Tesla coil is actually a EMP-antenna snd the high-voltage-coil is s receiver?

In this report they claim that small devices are not affected by the E3 part if a HEMP, the E3 only affects the grid. What do you guys think of this? I also just discussed this with the military here in my country and they give the same answer. High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) and High Power Microwave (HPM) Devices: Threat Assessments
E3 is very long wavelength, greater than 300 meters. Antennae need to be very long, like power lines or pipelines. Devices (of any size) don't have a long enough wire in them to act as an antenna for the E3 component, so the only way they can be affected is by being connected to a power line or in electrical contact to some pipeline like a water or gas pipeline. For example if you have a ground wire connected to a water line, or have a gas line coming into an appliance.

E3 is very long wavelength, greater than 300 meters. Antennae need to be very long, like power lines or pipelines. Devices (of any size) don't have a long enough wire in them to act as an antenna for the E3 component, so the only way they can be affected is by being connected to a power line or in electrical contact to some pipeline like a water or gas pipeline. For example if you have a ground wire connected to a water line, or have a gas line coming into an appliance.
Great. There seems to be some arguments that HEMP knocks out everything but I am getting more sure now that its only things connected to the grid. That is very important, cars will be fine for example.

I have seen this type of arguments before. I would need a good source to be convinced, it does not seem to be correct if I apply my cnowkedge in physics. But I am open for the possubility.
For 性交's sake people. Put your phone inside the thing and call yourself. If it goes to voicemail maybe you're good. If it rings you aren't. Or put a portable radio in there and see if it gets a signal.

If you're good then make sure you have a good plastic lining on the inside of the thing. If any part of your device is touching the metal faraday cage, then electricity will conduct straight through the cage to your device and you'll have no protection.

If you do all of that, then maybe you're going to be okay. But there's no way to know because there's never been an EMP like you're planning for and even if there had been you wouldn't really be able to predict the next one's intensity or what effect it will actually have on any particular device because there is no real data, and electronics have changed more quickly than the few studies.

Latest posts

Back