Well, the VA and Medicare finally signed off on everything...Nursing home, here I come!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

God Like
Reaction score
Well, Medicare and the VA finally signed off on everything and I have been approved, and accepted, by two fairly "high-end" private nursing homes. One in rural Western Mobile County, one nearly downtown. I told them I'd opt for the one out in the country, naturally!! I am now waiting on the nursing home to tell me my "move-in" date....could be any day now.

Decided to splurge a little...got a 40" flat screen for my room, and a new laptop...Dell Latitude, certified refurbished, 2.5 GHz i5 duo-core CPU with hyperthreading, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB high speed HDD, 15.5" screen, which doesn't matter a whole lot since I have HDMI cables to hook the TV up to the laptop and give me the equivalent of a 40" monitor for watching movies and videos. (Picture your computer with a 40" monitor...doesn't get much better than that!) And I have my 5.1 channel surround sound system to plug in to the TV or laptop, along with my 1 TB external HDD where I have all my movies and music stored. So, I'm all set in the TV and laptop department!!

I try to be optimistic about this nursing home bit, and the place does look like it will be OK. Coffee/snacks in the break rooms 24/7, Wi-Fi, cable, laundry service, barber shop, field trips twice a month, shopping trips weekly, transportation to/from all medical appointments and to pick up prescriptions, meals in the dining room or delivered to your room (no seconds if you have them delivered to your room, though!), fitness room with a spa, yada, yada, yada,.....hell, to listen to the list it sounds like a 5 star Resort Hotel!!! (And will cost Medicare/VA around $5,300 a month!) The only thing I don't particularly care for is the restrictions on "movement." You have to sign in/out whenever you leave/return, and you can't leave until after 8 AM, and have to be back in by 10 PM., and, of course, NO FIREARMS. (They are still pondering my request to have an air pistol/rifle, but I suspect the answer will be "NO!") Ah well, with the time I have left, it's unlikely any SHTF will happen before I kick off anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I can have my air pistols/rifles.

Anyhooo, just a matter now of being notified I can "move in."

What is hyperthreading ? its sounds painful ?

Hyperthreading is where each core splits the data into two streams and process them as though there was an extra core. A "duo-core" (two cores) CPU with hyperthreading effectively becomes a quad-core (four cores) processor. Speeds up the processing considerably. Also permits cheapos like me to buy a lower rated chip, but get the performance of a chip with twice as many cores!

Best of luck Venom. I can see myself heading that way, much quicker than I want to admit. That is why I try to remain active. In many case doing things I should pass on to the younger folks. But I am too stubborn to admit "I am getting too old" to do things.

Best of luck Venom. I can see myself heading that way, much quicker than I want to admit. That is why I try to remain active. In many case doing things I should pass on to the younger folks. But I am too stubborn to admit "I am getting too old" to do things.

Yeah, the HARDEST part is admitting you are just plain getting old and can't do the things you used to do. Add severe rheumatoid arthritis to the mix, with deformed fingers, and it's time to change the way you do things. Like it, or not, we ain't getting any younger!

Well, Medicare and the VA finally signed off on everything and I have been approved, and accepted, by two fairly "high-end" private nursing homes. One in rural Western Mobile County, one nearly downtown. I told them I'd opt for the one out in the country, naturally!! I am now waiting on the nursing home to tell me my "move-in" date....could be any day now.

Decided to splurge a little...got a 40" flat screen for my room, and a new laptop...Dell Latitude, certified refurbished, 2.5 GHz i5 duo-core CPU with hyperthreading, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB high speed HDD, 15.5" screen, which doesn't matter a whole lot since I have HDMI cables to hook the TV up to the laptop and give me the equivalent of a 40" monitor for watching movies and videos. (Picture your computer with a 40" monitor...doesn't get much better than that!) And I have my 5.1 channel surround sound system to plug in to the TV or laptop, along with my 1 TB external HDD where I have all my movies and music stored. So, I'm all set in the TV and laptop department!!

I try to be optimistic about this nursing home bit, and the place does look like it will be OK. Coffee/snacks in the break rooms 24/7, Wi-Fi, cable, laundry service, barber shop, field trips twice a month, shopping trips weekly, transportation to/from all medical appointments and to pick up prescriptions, meals in the dining room or delivered to your room (no seconds if you have them delivered to your room, though!), fitness room with a spa, yada, yada, yada,.....hell, to listen to the list it sounds like a 5 star Resort Hotel!!! (And will cost Medicare/VA around $5,300 a month!) The only thing I don't particularly care for is the restrictions on "movement." You have to sign in/out whenever you leave/return, and you can't leave until after 8 AM, and have to be back in by 10 PM., and, of course, NO FIREARMS. (They are still pondering my request to have an air pistol/rifle, but I suspect the answer will be "NO!") Ah well, with the time I have left, it's unlikely any SHTF will happen before I kick off anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I can have my air pistols/rifles.

Anyhooo, just a matter now of being notified I can "move in."
Good luck to you. Maybe consider getting a lock for your laptop. Sometimes things can go missing in a nursing home.

well good luck to you VJ, I must admit its not something I'd want to do, I'd hate it!! in fact I've told the wife when I get that bad to drive me out onto Dartmoor(our local national park) and leave me there, she can send someone to pick up the body at a later date!!
that's why I hope SHTF happens before I reach my expiry date.

Yeah, the HARDEST part is admitting you are just plain getting old and can't do the things you used to do. Add severe rheumatoid arthritis to the mix, with deformed fingers, and it's time to change the way you do things. Like it, or not, we ain't getting any younger!
SHHH! Don't give my body any more ideas. It's already won several rounds this year, but I'm still in the fight. I don't know for how much longer.

Latest posts

Back