EMP protection

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It made sense with A. The majority of personnel actually being at sea where antenna types and propagation were all over the place. B. The government turning the responsibility for back up CONUS comms to the Army (and the Air Force coming in to offer help) that sent more funding to the Army's program. Much easier to establish reliable comms from land based stations than a bouncing boat with a little antenna.

It made sense with A. The majority of personnel actually being at sea where antenna types and propagation were all over the place. B. The government turning the responsibility for back up CONUS comms to the Army (and the Air Force coming in to offer help) that sent more funding to the Army's program. Much easier to establish reliable comms from land based stations than a bouncing boat with a little antenna.
Rgr. Thank you.

Once I had a family, the 20 hours a month training plus the nets every night got to be too much.

A typical Vietnam era Army MARS station. Look at all that Collins goodness...
1638146767712.png

My ham shack is much worse. There is a picture of it on the forum somewhere. Now delving into VHF/UHF SSB. More gear swapping spots on the bench!
By the time you add up all the receivers, transmitters, transceivers, and test equipment my living room is looking like Mr. Carlson's Lab.

I'm fortunate to have my own room in the basement to house the comms.

I have a 400 sq.ft. radio/fishing/camping shop. A radio station, workbench and desk yet there still is not enough horizonal space. Steel shelves 6 feet high full of gear. With all the radio hamfest cancled the gear I repaired just stacks up, nowhere to display and sell stuff. I need to sell 6 HF rigs and 2 HF amps. de KA5SIW

I have a 400 sq.ft. radio/fishing/camping shop. A radio station, workbench and desk yet there still is not enough horizonal space. Steel shelves 6 feet high full of gear. With all the radio hamfest cancled the gear I repaired just stacks up, nowhere to display and sell stuff. I need to sell 6 HF rigs and 2 HF amps. de KA5SIW
And those transceivers and amps are?

Collins was an EXCELLENT radio!!!!!!!
IS an excellent radio...still plenty of them around. And they still hold their value well. Still looking for a KWM-2A that I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage for. There is a KWM-380 (Rockwell-Collins) on FB for over $1700.

IS an excellent radio...still plenty of them around. And they still hold their value well. Still looking for a KWM-2A that I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage for. There is a KWM-380 (Rockwell-Collins) on FB for over $1700.
I paid $825 shipped for my KWM2-A, and $300 for the power supply that had been recently solid-stated.
I could have bought a brand new Icom IC-7300 for less, but the only menus I like are the ones that you can order steak off of.

Latest posts

Back