EMP protection

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve played with some metal containers a little and found those round all metal popcorn tins to be very effective at blocking commercial FM radio stations even parked near a 6kw transmitter. It completely blocks 7watt 2m/70cm transceivers six inches a part. It also effectively blocks 2.4/5ghz WiFi (I know-milliwatts) also inches a part. I think nesting metal containers (shields) helps but two shields are not twice as good as one alone.
I haven’t been able to find out much about the characteristics of a E1 to build out an effective shield but most people seem to be under the impression that it’s magical and cannot be stopped.

I wondered about batteries exploding. During the starfish test of a high altitude nuke in the early 1960's, transformers in Hawai'i supposedly caught fire, and some exploded.

The Carrington Event in the 1860's supposedly electricuted a few telegraph operators.

I'm not enough of an engineer or physicist to figure out if batteries will explode, but it does sound plausible.
Following the TEAK event, propagation of high-frequency (HF) radio communications (Table 10.91) was degraded over a region of several thousand miles in diameter for a period lasting from shortly after midnight until sunrise. Some very-high-frequency(VHF) communications circuits in the Pacific area were unable to function for about 30 seconds after the STARFISH PRIME event
-The Effects of Nuclear War, Third edition

“Besides, to keep MARS working, they would have to hand out encrypted radios to civilians. Not gonna happen. They don't carry the antiquated tech us hams have.” Thats quoting someone who posted a ways back. I haven’t logged in in a while to read and catch up lol. Here’s my answer to that post.

we don’t need encrypted radios to make m.a.r.s. Work. There is software we use on our windows computers that do any encryption we use. The computer connects to my radio via usb cable. Airforce mars is alive and well.

“Besides, to keep MARS working, they would have to hand out encrypted radios to civilians. Not gonna happen. They don't carry the antiquated tech us hams have.” Thats quoting someone who posted a ways back. I haven’t logged in in a while to read and catch up lol. Here’s my answer to that post.

we don’t need encrypted radios to make m.a.r.s. Work. There is software we use on our windows computers that do any encryption we use. The computer connects to my radio via usb cable. Airforce mars is alive and well.
As is Army MARS.

I very much doubt that the battery would explode.

Batteries are affected much less by radiation than other components. The effects of radiation on nickel-cadmium batteries appear to be insignificant at gamma-ray dose rates up to 107 rads (air)/sec. No
radiation damage was apparent in a number of batteries and standard cells that were subjected to 101’
fast neutrons/cm2. Mercury batteries can withstand fast neutron fluences up to1016 neutrons/cm2.
-The Effects of Nuclear Detonation. Third Edition

Batteries are affected much less by radiation than other components. The effects of radiation on nickel-cadmium batteries appear to be insignificant at gamma-ray dose rates up to 107 rads (air)/sec. No
radiation damage was apparent in a number of batteries and standard cells that were subjected to 101’
fast neutrons/cm2. Mercury batteries can withstand fast neutron fluences up to1016 neutrons/cm2.
-The Effects of Nuclear Detonation. Third Edition
At 107 rads, I'd be more concerned about me (and my loved ones) than the batteries.

These were "donated" when they were being removed from a local C.O.
Who was the manufacturer of the batteries?

6ft x 12ft is a large installation. What capacity is it?

GeorgiePeachie, you may be able to buy them direct from the manufacturer (Expensive), or you also might like to see if any are being "upgraded" at your local Bell (or other) CO.

"A plasma-arc rifle in a 40 watt range . . ."

1645024827384.png

I wondered about batteries exploding. During the starfish test of a high altitude nuke in the early 1960's, transformers in Hawai'i supposedly caught fire, and some exploded.
A transformer is not similar to a battery in any way that matters in this case. There is no reason to think any battery would explode unless that "battery" is actually a battery-unit with electronics inside it.

ALTHOUGH! Lithium batteries explode if you sneeze on them hard so that could be different.

Latest posts

Back