Could Rail Strike Next Week Bring Economy to a Grinding Halt?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhian L'Arson

Reaction score
The coming strike by 90,000 railroad workers on September 16 could bring 30% of the nation's freight to a grinding halt. The strike could mean empty shelves in stores, temporary closures at factories that don't have the parts they need to operate, and higher prices due to limited availability of consumer goods.

The coming strike by 90,000 railroad workers on September 16 could bring 30% of the nation's freight to a grinding halt. The strike could mean empty shelves in stores, temporary closures at factories that don't have the parts they need to operate, and higher prices due to limited availability of consumer goods.
That may not be a bad thing. The Democrats support the unions and people tend to vote from their wallets. Shortages and higher prices just before the midterms could and should be lade at the feet of the Democrats. They will be caught in a no win position. Support the union and watch the cost of living go through the roof OR override the union and upset their union base. Either way works for me.

I don't know about you, but I prefer a system where everyone is free to make as much money as possible. Those workers are just trying to do what good capitalist should do, try to get the highest price they can for the product they are selling. Shouldn't preppers see it as an opportunity to use their expertise to help strikers survive as long as possible while not working?

It looks like there potentially is a huge untapped market for prepper services out there. Preppers don't have to agree with their politics to take their money.

I'm not a prepper to make money. Nor do I believe that anyone making the kind of money and benefits like rail road or UPS workers should be allowed to hold the rest of us hostage just so they can make even more $$. Which all of us will end up paying for through higher prices. I despise unions.

sooner or later someone's gonna figure out how to sell survivalism to a bigger market. There are a lot of disgruntled workers out there. The longer they can survive without a steady paycheck, the more bargaining power they have.

I'm opposed to anything that will raise prices, or cause disruptions in getting products. My wife and I are retired and trying to live off my SS, she's still years away from SS, and our investments. We don't have any other income. Thanks to Biden and his communist regime, our investments have dropped by almost 40%. And no way to make up for it. Our medical costs keep going up too. So, I have zero sympathy for anyone making the kind of money that RR and UPS employees make.

All members of the working class, even well paid union workers, need firearms, disaster preparedness, medicine, logistics, agriculture, and other skills for self and community defense.

All members of the working class, even well paid union workers, need firearms, disaster preparedness, medicine, logistics, agriculture, and other skills for self and community defense.
If these people are so well paid why aren't they spending money on preps in the first place?

I dont think they should be allowed to strike. What the hell do rail workers have to strike about anyway? They already have great pay and benefits and a fantastic retirement plan. They need to shut up and go back to work.
You know the old saying: "How much is enough? Just a little more."

I don't know about you, but I prefer a system where everyone is free to make as much money as possible. Those workers are just trying to do what good capitalist should do, try to get the highest price they can for the product they are selling. Shouldn't preppers see it as an opportunity to use their expertise to help strikers survive as long as possible while not working?

Back when I was in HS, we were assigned an opinion piece to write on a debatable topic. One of those was minimum wage. One of the gals in the class wrote a paper entitled "Why I Should Be Paid Like a Doctor." It was satire.

Her point was that some jobs can be done by most 14 year olds, and some cannot. Those that can, are not worth as much as those that cannot.

The more people who can do that job, or learn in a relatively short period of time to do it, the lower the pay. Not all jobs are equal unless you subscribe to Karl Marx's theories.

If you want to become a millionaire, come up with a great idea, and start a business. If you want to be a millionaire, do what my mother did working as a receptionist for a realtor during the last 30 years of her life; Provide more value to the company than the next person. Live below your means. Teach yourself how the real economy actually works (vs what this administration is trying to force feed you) and invest your money wisely.

Last edited:
Sure Rhian, everyone should make enough money to live well. Why don't we just raise the minimum wage up to something meaningful, say $100 an hour? Wouldn't that be great?

Workers are in the business of selling a product someone wants. The product they sell is their labor time. Like any business, sometimes they raise the price. Sometimes businesses cooperate to get the highest price like OPEC does with oil. When workers do it it's a union. It's not a matter of fair or unfair just supply and demand.

So are they not expected to reach an agreement prior to deadline? It doesn't make sense that Congress would not intervene if they dont. Seems like would be big blow to the Dems. Right before midterms to not intervene. I cant see this fully happening. Even the strikers gotta eat. I'm sure very few if any of them have the preparedness means to sustain cutting off their nose to spite their face. I realize even a temporary Interruption would be terrible, but I'm holding out they are gonna settle their grievances or at least congress is going to intervene. Sounds just plain stupid not to. Unless they find a way to blame it on Trump or Putin, I can't see the dems taking the fall for not doing so. I'd guess there will be consequences for all of us either way.

I'd expect out of the Dems something along the line of...put fear in the people and then step in as if they saved the day type scenario. That way the people will have some suffering or at least fear of what could have happened, and then thank them and kiss their ### for "bringing us back from the brink".so to speak. Unless they indeed have a bigger plan for everything else to come tumbling down, Why would they not do that? Or something similar?

The labor market is like other markets where supply and demand determine the price. Those with market power influence the price by manipulating supply and demand. They are price makers. They dictate the price for their product. Those with no market power just have to accept the price. Since no individual workers have market power alone, they cooperate as a union to get collective market power and set their price. You personally may not like it, but the market doesn't care about your feelings.

Latest posts

Back