Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My incubator is down to 1 day before it stops roosting the eggs...so, hopefully, by Tuesday I will have some chicks hatched. I was Ble to finally get the humidity under control after first few days. I did check them via candling cple days ago...some, I am thinking aren't gonna hatch, but I'm new at this and it was really hard to tell for sure, but I don't think I saw movement in a few of them. If I get one hatched, I'll be over the moon!

The ducks are 4 weeks old today, and I went ahead moved them fully, outside, in new section of the chicken run. They have the new little chick house to go in, and we put the light out there to beam through one of the side windows, since it's supposed to be 45 tonight. They have lots of feathers in, but not fully. Not enough room to run the light inside. We shall see how they do.

Got first 2 chicks today! 2 more working their way out!

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_2134.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_2134.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 0
The hen the predator got was one of my two Star Lighters that lay light green eggs.
Something got our last brown leghorn hen . She wouldn't go in the chicken house at night . The Bramahs are more cautious . They put themselves up and stay close to home . Also if something does get in their lot they are more likely to kill and eat it than vice-versa .

I ended up with 10 chicks hatching. The 2 left, Larry and my son say they've seen them move, but I've yet to. I candled them and still can't see movement and no chirpping from those 2. If they haven't hatched today I'm assuming they are duds and I'm very happy with the hatch rate I got first try. All 10 seem to be doing great so far.

I've done deep litter in my coops and wanted to do a deep clean but the weather didn't seem to cooperate until today. My chickens went to a temp fence and they were happy for awhile.
Everything came out, mirrors, bells (they like those 2), dirt bath, fans (should have pulled those months before), and all the shavings. I then came in with my shop vac and cleaned up as much as possible. I then brought in my power washer and went to town. I had taken the fans apart, cleaned, and dried them out.
Then I put the coop back together. After that was done I put everything away and then brought the chickens back in to a very very clean coop.
Total time spent 5 hours, yeah. Four tarp loads of debris dragged in back. My primary coop is 8'x8' and their living quarters (condo) is 4 ft off the base. The thought of trying to clean it with a squirt bottle and a scrub brush made me ill.
In the future can I do something to shorten the time spent? I don't know but I'm going to mull it over with a glass or 2 of wine.

Not sure I understand your setup, but thoroughly cleaning any coop takes time. We clean our run on a separate day from the coop. The run, I’ve gotten down to 1 1/2 hours by using sand in it and having the entire run covered with a metal roof. The coop takes a good 4 or more hours to clean properly. All the nesting boxes, feeder, waterer, and fan come out and are cleaned. The shavings are shoveled out a wide flip up door along one side into a trailer. Then I spray and use a big brush with a bucket/s of cleaning products. Windex the windows and spray the screens. It does feel great when done though! Oh, and my hubby replaces the roosting perches at that time too. Those just don’t clean well enough for me, so I put new ones in. We clean ours early spring and late fall. Works well for us.

Using a blower for the rafters and our loft sounds like a great idea!! Will give that a try.

This looks like a good way to keep a lot of the bugs our of the garden without the hens destroying your plants.

View attachment 24614
I made a portable one of these and it was a disaster. Poor construction on my part. My chickens never go over the fence into the garden.

We will inherit my BIL 12 chickens (1 yr old) when he sells his house after the divorce...ours turned out to be 2 hens and 4 roosters....all 4 roosters will be given to neighbors and we will take his chickens into the flock. We'll have to see how the last 2 get along with the new ladies...

9 Of my chicks are 10 days old today, 1 is 9 days old...happy to report doing great! Ducks are 1 month and 7 days old, doing great! Appears we have way more male than female ducks.gonna have to get rid of all but 1 male (freezer meat)...I haven't taken time to sex the chicks yet...but will do by end of week.

Attachments

• 20240409_190244.jpg
    20240409_190244.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I decided to let the chickens out to free range all day because it has been a week. 10 minutes later the chickens are crazy and there is Mr. Fox in the back yard. I ran and got gun, but he was gone when I got back.

Now, I'm gonna have to be on high alert which isn't easy when you can't walk.

Not a chicken, but son put down a duck today. Broke it's leg severely several days ago. No idea how! Was barely getting around, by today other ducks were picking on it terrible. Was suffering pretty bad. Boo! But at least it's out of misery now. They are 7 weeks old now (down to 11 count now).

9 Of my chicks are 10 days old today, 1 is 9 days old...happy to report doing great! Ducks are 1 month and 7 days old, doing great! Appears we have way more male than female ducks.gonna have to get rid of all but 1 male (freezer meat)...I haven't taken time to sex the chicks yet...but will do by end of week.
How do you sex yours when young? I don't know anyone that can.

Latest posts

Back