Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good hatch rate. I have some due around the 12th. We'll see what I get. I never candle, so I am happy enough with a half rate. I let our geese sit, but other than those, I incubate the chicken and turkey eggs.
I candled 2 or 3 only because when I open lid the temp and humidity rate went crazy. I did just candle the last 2 because I thought they would be empty, but they are both dark inside. I'll wait today to see if they hatch.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to put 12 in incubator today. Will be my first attempt at this. Larry brought home 12 baby ducks from TS Friday. That wasn't expected, not sure what got into him! I know this isn't chicken/egg related but my doe (rabbitt) is due to have kits Tuesday also, but I'm starting to think she's not really pregnant. We'll see. Lots going on!

Attachments

• 20240301_172648.jpg
    20240301_172648.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I changed my mind after watching several more videos this morning. I am going to wait another week or so before incubating any chicken eggs. Will collect new ones and try again. I don't think I stored the current ones correctly before putting in incubator.

I do like duck eggs also, and they say they are best for baking. With the new ducklings, plan on hatching some of those as well in future.

We're starting to get up to 7 duck eggs a day now. With duck eggs I can say I'm only having a one egg omelet for breakfast. Ducks don't mind the snow at all. Chickens won't go out in it until it's packed down. They spend most of their time on the covered deck when it's snowing.

If anyone is interested, Stromburgs is running a sale on brooders and incubators right now, up to 35% off.

I think PP posted somewhere a "misfire" egg laid from one of his hens.....here ya go...we got one of those today...it's from the americana that we named Tranny cause she was given to us as a rooster...but turned out to be a hen...🤣....normally, she lays a normal to large size egg...but apparently had a misfire today! (The little green one) Lol

Attachments

• 20240308_150855.jpg
    20240308_150855.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday morning I went back to chickens area and all were out loose. Larry left the door open night before. My son's great pyraneese dog (Layla) was out chasing them. I was able to get all back in the run area and one last hen was left out, kept running back into wooded area..the dog kept after her, actually ran her back toward pen...I was able to get in front and Layla behind the hen...she did finally pin the hen down and I was able to pick it up and put it in the run. Lost a few feathers but no harm. Layla has never been turned loose around the chickens, nor trained for this, so wasn't sure what to expect. Nice to know their natural herding instinct, gentle nature proved accurate. She actually helped me run all the chickens back in the run.

My border collies, even though herd dogs, kill the chickens. Amazing difference in breeds.

Put eggs in incubator yesterday. Cannot get humidity adjusted within range suggested. I've got vent wide open, reduced water about down to none...the lowest I can get it is 60%. Prior to this it was staying on 65%. It's a beautiful day here today so I opened up the doors, let some breeze blow through house...humidity dropped to the 60% after i opened it up and suctioned some water out of resevoir. Temp is correct, but I'm at a loss on what else to do for humidity. Depending on what I read n where, the recommendations are all over the place. The book w incubator recommends 45- 55% is acceptable. Yes, I let it run several hours prior to adding eggs in. It's humid climate here, and in house, so outside of turning air on and keeping it on, not sure what to do. So far 60% is best I can get.

Put eggs in incubator yesterday. Cannot get humidity adjusted within range suggested. I've got vent wide open, reduced water about down to none...the lowest I can get it is 60%. Prior to this it was staying on 65%. It's a beautiful day here today so I opened up the doors, let some breeze blow through house...humidity dropped to the 60% after i opened it up and suctioned some water out of resevoir. Temp is correct, but I'm at a loss on what else to do for humidity. Depending on what I read n where, the recommendations are all over the place. The book w incubator recommends 45- 55% is acceptable. Yes, I let it run several hours prior to adding eggs in. It's humid climate here, and in house, so outside of turning air on and keeping it on, not sure what to do. So far 60% is best I can get.

Maybe putting desiccants in? Somewhat controlled environment, you just got to lower the incoming humidity.

Yesterday morning I went back to chickens area and all were out loose. Larry left the door open night before. My son's great pyraneese dog (Layla) was out chasing them. I was able to get all back in the run area and one last hen was left out, kept running back into wooded area..the dog kept after her, actually ran her back toward pen...I was able to get in front and Layla behind the hen...she did finally pin the hen down and I was able to pick it up and put it in the run. Lost a few feathers but no harm. Layla has never been turned loose around the chickens, nor trained for this, so wasn't sure what to expect. Nice to know their natural herding instinct, gentle nature proved accurate. She actually helped me run all the chickens back in the run.

My border collies, even though herd dogs, kill the chickens. Amazing difference in breeds.

Good boy helping you round up the hens!! Pyrenees are so wonderful with animals. My sister is getting a Colorado Mountain dog which is a mix between a Pyrenees and something else. She’s thrilled!!

Here is a picture of that type of dog breed. I understand it is a rather new breed.

1710105991061.jpeg

She is a great dog!

It's cooling down outside, so humidity dropped to 47 in incubator now..haa! But I had to close the doors in the house, getting too chilly with wind blowing through. Gonna dare larry to turn heat on, it's getting warm enough to do w/o it. But we'll see. I hadn't thought about dessicants! I'm learning a lot about revising and improvising lately! Attached is pic of little child playhouse I ordered for the chicks when they get big enough to put outside (assuming any hatch). No one around here able to build a coop right now. For $250 I actually ordered this. My son put it together in cple hrs or so. I've got small dowels n brackets to put up inside for roosts and replacing the plastic in windows with wire hardware cloth. It's cheap, easy, but I think it will suffice til chicks get old enough to put with the rest. Gonna put up petition far end of run for them. The plastic strip on top popped up..
Little bitty screws came with it...will fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_6734.jpg
    IMG_6734.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_173010.jpg
    20240310_173010.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
When my chicks are big enough they move to the apartment which was a large dog type house with a roof that lifts up. My son in law made it. He had two German Shepherds use it at the same time so it is over 2 times larger than a regular dog house.

I put up temp fence to keep them separated until they can join the flock.

Latest posts

Back