Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wing clipping for chickens is pretty straight forward process. Only clip one wing, not both. Otherwise you stand the chance of them still being able to fly. Also, only trim the flight wings, of which there are 10. Do not clip a young hens wings Or clip off too much of the wing. There are pictures out there to show you how much to clip. You should wait until the hens are old enough so blood is not flowing through the shafts, otherwise they will bleed. Keep in mind that you might have to pull some of those wings out with pliers during molt. Be sure to use sharp scissors for an easier process. I cleaned the shears between the two birds.

Had one bird that would fly up into the loft of the chicken house almost every single night. Then she wouldn’t come down. This fixed that problem. As far as how high they will still fly? Hate to say it , but it depends on the bird. Lighter ones are still able to go pretty high.

It is not easy when one of the chickens are sick or hurt. Hang in there Robin.

We are going to add a tree to our main run. Thought it would be a nice addition to entertain the girls. My plum tree has been a total failure for 5 years now. It buds too early and always loses every single bloom. So, I’m having hubby cut it down, cut or trim back all but a few limbs. He is figuring out how to make sure it stays upright. I think it will be cool! :cool:

It is not easy when one of the chickens are sick or hurt. Hang in there Robin.

We are going to add a tree to our main run. Thought it would be a nice addition to entertain the girls. My plum tree has been a total failure for 5 years now. It buds too early and always loses every single bloom. So, I’m having hubby cut it down, cut or trim back all but a few limbs. He is figuring out how to make sure it stays upright. I think it will be cool! :cool:
I have a plum tree overhanging the run. Sometimes they fall in it but I have the netting on top and it catches the plums. The chickens crawl on top of the chicken apartment and eat through the netting.

I had it mostly for shade back when I didn't free range.

Once the snow is gone and the ground drys out I'm going to extend our run out to cover about a half acre. I'll put in a pond for the ducks too.
Until we build a kennel for the dogs we can't let the chicken free range.

Whenever we get a hen that likes to fly we clip her wing. The feathers will eventually grow out, but usually they don't try flying again.

Buffy escaped the infirmary and crawled under the coop. I got her out and brought her inside. I am giving her water. I have wrapped her in a towel and will hold her for the time she has left.

She can barely hold her head up and that funky eyelid is covering her eyes. Leon and Zeus are completely ignoring her. I'm shocked.

Buffy escaped the infirmary and crawled under the coop. I got her out and brought her inside. I am giving her water. I have wrapped her in a towel and will hold her for the time she has left.

She can barely hold her head up and that funky eyelid is covering her eyes. Leon and Zeus are completely ignoring her. I'm shocked.

Give her Water with CDS

I used a syringe to give her a little water, but she has clamped down and I can't pry her beak open. I think she is ready to go. If she lives tonight, I will do the cds.

She could have a bird flu. Give CDS to all your chickens

Today I clipped my chicken's wing and put them in their bigger and better pen . They haven't even made an attempt to fly out . My fence is about 6 foot high . They are happy eating green weeds in the pen . I took my attack dog to introduce her to the new chicken development . She didn't even show much interest in them . My in-laws dog though is a known chicken killer , so I will be alert for him . I seriously doubt though he will be able to get into the new pen as much effort was put into building the enclosure with him in mind . The chickens even have a house to get into for the night which I have prepared a door to shut them in at night to keep varmints from getting to them .

Last edited:
How would she have contracted it? We are secluded with zero contact with other birds?
I think Canadian geese can be carriers. In the UK I think they have to have their birds in a covered run the whole time because of bird droppings. Maybe I'm imagining all this. Anyone with a clearer head that can confirm?

I thought I would bounce an idea I have been pondering . As I usually do have my mind in a prepper rute and am considering planting cold hardy kale to feed my chickens during the cold months after Puttin or China get enough of this war poking and decide to bring it to it's Nuclear conclusion . A couple of questions - do you think chickens would eat kale and would it need planting each year if left to do as nature intended ?

Can Chickens Eat Kale? (Nutrition, Pros and Cons & Feeding Tips) I found one of the answers to my above question . It appears chickens love kale and it is a super food for them . I already have my kale seeds so when the right month rolls around I plan to be planting . I still don't know though if it will come back on its own year after year . Hopefully this will solve some of the problem of obtaining chicken feed during the winter months after SHTF or during that touted Nuclear Winter .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back