Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of clearing an area to plant for making our own chicken feed. I was thinking of planting mostly small grains, but was hoping to get recommendations from other chicken people.
We use a lot of buggy grain we get from people around us and grow out some insects, but I want to try the turnip thing that was posted from Mike Adams recently.

@Danil54grl Were you the one that posted the video of making your own feed back in the fall?

We use a lot of buggy grain we get from people around us and grow out some insects, but I want to try the turnip thing that was posted from Mike Adams recently.

@Danil54grl Were you the one that posted the video of making your own feed back in the fall?
Not a bad idea. But we need something to harvest in the fall and feed in the winter. I'm fencing in an area of maybe a half acre for the chickens to run in. For the summer time they shouldn't need much, if any feed.

I still have my flock in the run, but this morning they were going crazy. I walked around, saw nothing. Started again and Leon and I went and sat on a rock with a gun, but still nothing.

I guess it is good at hiding. It took me a while, but I realized to look up because they are cats and can climb. Which means they can jump out of a tree onto my head.

A few days ago I had two wooden eggs take missing from close to my chicken pen . They are so realistic that I put a mark on them so that we could distinguish them from a real egg . Late yesterday evening my dog found something under a bush about 10 feet from where the wooden eggs disappeared from . By the dog's reaction I presumed it was snake but couldn't see it in the deeming light as darkness was about upon us . Today I found a snake 4 or 5 foot long that had something inside it . It may have been my missing wooden eggs and I hope that thing has hell trying to pass them . It didn't look happy and I left it alone as I could see it had no poison glands behind it's jaw . Actually it looked down right miserable .

A few days ago I had two wooden eggs take missing from close to my chicken pen . They are so realistic that I put a mark on them so that we could distinguish them from a real egg . Late yesterday evening my dog found something under a bush about 10 feet from where the wooden eggs disappeared from . By the dog's reaction I presumed it was snake but couldn't see it in the deeming light as darkness was about upon us . Today I found a snake 4 or 5 foot long that had something inside it . It may have been my missing wooden eggs and I hope that thing has hell trying to pass them . It didn't look happy and I left it alone as I could see it had no poison glands behind it's jaw . Actually it looked down right miserable .
That should teach him.

When I was a kid I'd feed eggs to snakes. When the egg was half way through the snake I'd break it. Simple fun for a country boy.

When I was a kid I'd feed eggs to snakes. When the egg was half way through the snake I'd break it. Simple fun for a country boy.

When my dad was a kid, he drilled a hoke in the coop wall just a hair smaller then the diameter of fake eggs and look for snakes stuck in the hole on there way out. Chop there heads off!

When my dad was a kid, he drilled a hoke in the coop wall just a hair smaller then the diameter of fake eggs and look for snakes stuck in the hole on there way out. Chop there heads off!
I've heard of people doing something similar, only they'd drive horseshoe nails at an angle at the edge of the hole.

I’ve posted various videos and such on making your own chicken feed. Dani might have too.

The ingredients I’ve seen and recommend are…

8# Corn
8# Field Peas
6# Wheat
1#Barley or Oats
1oz Salt or mineral salts
Egg Shells

I do feed the hens scratch and sunflower seeds as treats too.

I missed the Mike Adams video on turnips. What did he say or can you point me to which video?

I’ve posted various videos and such on making your own chicken feed. Dani might have too.

8# Corn
8# Field Peas
6# Wheat
1#Barley or Oats
Egg Shells

I missed the Mike Adams video on turnips. What did he say or can you point me to which video?

Turnips have the minimal amount of everything to sustain chickens.

8# Corn
8# Field Peas
6# Wheat
1#Barley or Oats
Egg Shells

Ok, I can't remember who posted what sometimes. It was you.

I think it was the Mike Adams interview with the woman from the seed company, but I'll check and see if I can find it. It was just a short mention, not much detail.

8# Corn
8# Field Peas
6# Wheat
1#Barley or Oats
Egg Shells

I picked up some oats, wheat, barley and buckwheat seeds to plant for chicken feed. I'll try and get it planted today.

The Kale that I planted for chicken feed is up and It will need to be thinned in a few more days . Also there is a voluntary weed that has spread over my open areas around my alamo that I have no idea as to what it is , that grows during the winter . My chickens love it . It is still growing so I feed the chickens some of those weeds daily .

Latest posts

Back