Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you doing with them? If you are selling pickled eggs to bar rooms ( which I sold a lot of) color of the eggs does not matter. If you are raising for meat go for the larger. I would go for the larger to encompass both uses. Is there a price difference at your supplier?
I was hoping to sell live birds and hatching eggs locally and raise them for meat.

I don't know of any bars around here that would have a market for the eggs, but I will look into that.

The price isn't much different, but celedons are a tiny bit more.

Spent pretty much the whole morning watching my hens and narrowed down to what I thought were the 2 americana's eating the eggs...I came to the house, watched yet another video on how to break this habit, went back to hens, and sure enough..caught one of the americanas in the nest eating away at an egg...I grabbed her while she was eating it. Georgie peachie, you are correct!..she wasn't eating her own eggs...I separated her from the other hens...came back about 2 hrs later, she had a blue egg in her pen...hadn't touched it...now I gotta find out if the other americana is doing the same...they were both constantly checking the nests back n forth this morning like they were waiting/looking for an egg. As a side note, I've been getting blue eggs and the brown and other are the ones that were being eaten. I only have 2 americanas that lay those green/blue eggs. I also raised the nest boxes even higher up off the ground.

I was hoping to sell live birds and hatching eggs locally and raise them for meat.

I don't know of any bars around here that would have a market for the eggs, but I will look into that.

The price isn't much different, but celedons are a tiny bit more.
Personal opinion... Coturnix have very dark meat almost like a guinea hen or duck and not much of it and no large breast. (unlike a regular native quail) They eat LOTS for the amount of meat they produce. They do produce a large amount of eggs and we raised them specifically for the eggs. Pickled quail eggs are a specialty food and a common bar food in the south. That was our number one use of quail eggs. You have to look at what they eat compared to what they produce. Upside they are easy to raise and in most places do not require a game bird license. My biggest complaint about Coturnix in general was that all they did was eat lots and poop lots and lots. Always cleaning pens almost like a duck.

Personal opinion... Coturnix have very dark meat almost like a guinea hen or duck and not much of it and no large breast. (unlike a regular native quail) They eat LOTS for the amount of meat they produce. They do produce a large amount of eggs and we raised them specifically for the eggs. Pickled quail eggs are a specialty food and a common bar food in the south. That was our number one use of quail eggs. You have to look at what they eat compared to what they produce. Upside they are easy to raise and in most places do not require a game bird license. My biggest complaint about Coturnix in general was that all they did was eat lots and poop lots and lots. Always cleaning pens almost like a duck.
Ok, you talked me out of them.

I love ducks, but they're sweet birds that are almost like pets. If quail are tiny, skittish, and they are that messy, I don't need them.

So poor larry tried putting up a separate pen (fencing) for egg eating americana today and low n behold she flew over it back into area with other hens..(I had her in a large crate separated)...I knew I couldn't keep her in crate forever...anyway, she's back in general area...I have to work and really don't have time to go fix problem...if she goes back to eating eggs, she's gonna have to go...sad, but true...

I was working in the big "henitentiary" and I started thinking- if there was a nuclear winter, what would you do with your chickens?

Just bring them inside to reduce the amount of wood you would burn?
I'm not really sure what a "nuclear winter" is, but we don't provide heat for our chickens now. They get by just fine.

Just opened coop and one of my big roosters was hanging upside down with his spur hung on the nesting box. It was just wood but his spur is close to 4" long.

He is rather testy so I took my pvc pipe I always carry and pried him loose. I was surprised he didn't come after me, but I guess he was grateful.

Latest posts

Back