Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Health Ranger Reports today, he said one of his top priorities is going to buy some chicken feed from his Tractor Supply and run an analysis in his lab. He did bring up a good maybe though. Remember when we had shipping issues on the Mississippi River when the water levels were too low. If grain set for a long period of time it could have produced bacteria and if used would cause problems. Not saying that is what happened, but I will keep an ear out what he discovers.

Some of you may recall (or may not), back in summer I posted I was frustrated with TS chicken feed ..having to return bags of feed I bought due to it was moldy...I made several trips back returning moldy chicken feed...that I figured sat far too long somewhere in a warehouse or wherever to be delivered. I got to where I made them open the bags in the store to check before I took them...one trip we went through about 5 bags in store before getting to one that wasn't covered in green mold..

I actually found my prior post...it was on August 30, 2022. I deleted most of the post cause I was bitching about a number of things in that post. Also, you will see I'm a hipocrit, cause obviously..I did not refuse to buy from them again...but hopefully I have now learned lesson! The following was my post from that date regarding the chicken feed issue:

8/30/22 "Btw, this year has sucked with quality of laying pellets. Multiple times this year I've had to take back bags of laying pellets to tractor supply and finally got to where I made them open the bags in the store and look before I brought it home, open bag and the feed is green, moldy all through, and chunks of smashed together green clumps, where it appears humidity got to it. They went through 5 bags in the store one day to find one that wasn't moldy last time I made them check before I bought it. Larry picked a bag up 2 days ago and he just takes off shelf and brings it home. I was getting can full out yesterday and same thing....green down in bag! Also, a lot of ground up pellets in the bag, like filler, just pale looking, dusty pellets! I said I was gonna stop buying chicken feed at TS but the local independent hardware/feed store new owners (which normally I would support fully) are such assholes, I refuse to buy from them anymore."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-190642~2.png
    Screenshot_20230126-190642~2.png
    428.4 KB · Views: 0
Temps down to about 20°F/ -7°F here the last few days and the ladies are still laying eggs regularly. We changed the hay in the coop out for hand cut grass from summertime we have kept dry till now in plastic bags in the pigpen. A lot lighter and fluffier so it should be a bit warmer in there. The light rope also heats a bit and keeps the coop over freezing temps as the water does not freeze even when it was minus degrees outside.

I use cooked rice each day. And lately a cornbread that I make...got the meal for 75 cents for 5 lbs because it just expired, so bought 50 lbs of it. Adding old protein powder I have to it, and outdated applesauce, and then bake a big pan each day. Also sprouted sunflower seed once a week. Our chickens help with our food rotation sometimes.

Latest posts

Back