Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great idea!

I have never seen them here. I'm not even sure I have seen them on many hatchery sites, though I have never actually ordered from a hatchery. I always think I will and then chicken out. (See what I did there? 😆)
For years we've been buying chick's from McMurray McMurray and Stromburgs. We've had good luck with both hatcheries.

I am skeptical about the chicken feed from TSC being tainted. It comes on the heals of the drag show sponsorship and some people may be using this to hurt tsc.

We all know that our chickens slow egg production during Winter months.
I didn't know they did a drag show sponsorship.

That's so silly on their part. What does drag have to do with farming?!?! People have lost their minds.

I switched recently from dumor to an organic brand because I was trying to figure out why my newest hens weren't laying yet...they are 5-6 months old and I have a variety of breeds, plus the ones a year old weren't really laying much (noting we went through the usual, expected last 2-3 months with essentially no eggs from the older ones)..but I felt it was time they start kicking back up a notch. Not sure if it's coincidence or not, but the new ones started laying last week and I'm now up to 3 a day from them, and averaging 6-8 a day from the other ones. Hoping to see more from the newest ones as the days move forward. I've got 12 total new ones so they should all be laying regularly by March anyway. I've also added more protein (a little meal worms), black sunflower seeds, grit, more oyster shells, a cup of 5 grain scratch, throwing some herbs and fresh veggie scraps almost daily (the mix someone posted here via a video recommended). If eggs get to $22 a dozen, we might break even! Haa!

I didn't know they did a drag show sponsorship.

That's so silly on their part. What does drag have to do with farming?!?! People have lost their minds.

Exactly!! But there is a reason. They are part of the evil WEF cabal. If you read their corporate website you will see they joined in on the ESG system pushed by the WEF to ENSLAVE us!!

Meat is only one reason for raising quail. You can sell eggs just like with chickens, and if you are prolific enough, you can sell quail to quail hunting preserves, bird dog trainers, and places that run bird dog field trials. Demand is always high, but birds raised for hunting have to be raised differently.
Did this for years. If you are raising quail for eggs coturnix quail (Asian or Old World) are the heavy layers. In most states this breed does not require a gamebird license but this breed is not good for raising as flight birds. Meat quality is just so so.

If you are raising quail for hunting you want the native varieties and need to be raised in long flight pens exposed to the elements in order to develop that flight potential for flushing and these varieties in most states do require a license.

If you want a gamebird for meat Chukar partridge is by far the superior in taste and meat quality. Size wise halfway between a quail and a pheasant.

I've honestly not seen producers pride in tractor supply..where I live, no idea why. I have bought dumor and Purina brand and my hens also had significant decrease in egg laying the past 6-8 months overall. I already posted about my changing feed and results. 👍

I had Dr. Appt today and was talking to an older lady while waiting to be called back. She lived in GA 1-1/2 hrs. From here...said her son has about 60 chickens and they got down to getting only 4-5 eggs a day...least they have ever gotten...According to her, they changed their feed up and started seeing big increase...I didn't get to finish conversation before I got called back..but that was the gist from her as well. I'm hearing a lot of same from others since toward end of summer forward..even patrons in TS in the chicken feed section. I'm done with them (TS)..

This was being passed around and someone sent it to me. We don't have horses, but have friends who do. Thought I should share it here because of the feed issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125-205813_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125-205813_Facebook.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back