Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a prepper's perspective , someone with an egg incubator and a solar system to operate it , could theoretically hatch off all the chicken they cared to eat as well as have all the eggs they cared to eat . As a google search showed it takes about 21 days to turn a egg into a hatched chicken . Feeding them worms or letting them free range if varmints allow , would potentially eliminate the necessity of depending on a feed store for their food source .--- What are you guys thoughts on hanging unwanted chicken parts or perhaps wild game on a cord above the birds so they could eat the maggots that fell off the rotting meat as a food source ?
Here we couldn't count on solar unless you had a great storage battery.

Usually you can lose an hour of heat with no problem, but more than that affects hatch rates. A few cloudy days and the chicks would be DIS.

We put a heating pad under our incubator and do a mostly dry hatch. It gives us eggcelent hatch rates. 😆

As far as the carcass, I think it would draw predators. You can, depending on your climate, harvest red wriggler worms and black soldier fly larvae with compost, though. BSF are easy. You create a little bucket system with a pipe and they practically harvest themselves. But if you live in a cooler climate, you have to either put them in a greenhouse or reorder eggs/larvae each spring.

I've never grown out any other larvae types, but I know people who do.

Growing fodder would be ok, too, but it's not sustainable in the long term because those sprouts don't produce their own seed.

I personally wouldn't want a stinking piece of rotting meat hanging around here. When we lose a cow or calf, or butcher, I haul the carcass out with the tractor and dump them over the edge of a canyon about a half mile away. It's a great place to trap coyotes and fox too. I don't want anything dead closer than that.
I'm going to order an incubator and start hatching chicken, duck and quail eggs. We're 100% on solar. The small incubators don't take a lot of power to run so even a small solar setup should run them just fine. Another good way for hatching eggs is to keep a few banty hens around. They would try to hatch a door knob.

I need to get some of those, too, then.
Back when I was a kid cutting hay we were always running over pheasant, duck and quail nests. Whenever possible I'd collect the eggs and put them under a banty hen to hatch. It was funny to watch the hen with a bunch of little quail running around or baby ducks always in the water. Banty hens are probably the best incubator there is.

I was taught never to allow your chickens to eat maggots. Supposedly they settle in the craw of the chicken and eat the contents causing a disease my grandparents called "limber neck". My husband will throw them strip of fish when he is cleaning fish but we never allow it to stay in there long enough to get maggots.

Edit...

I put CDS in my chickens water to prevent Botulism and other diseases.

Organic Contaminants - ClO2 completely eliminates and treats the following contaminants: Viruses, water bacteria, giardia, botulism cryptosporidium, e. coli and cholera.

Our new hens are starting to lay enough eggs to meet our needs now. Most hens cut back or even quit laying in winter, or during moult. We had to buy 1 or 2 dozen eggs this winter at about $6.50/doz. Never again. One of the wife's friends provided us with eggs most of the winter. A couple of our new breeds are supposed to be good layers throughout the winter.

Someone with a chicken flock definitely have the advantage of a higher survivability rate than those that have not established that survival tool . People are dying at an unseen rate of starvation in some countries now . If they had established a flock of chickens and established a way to protect their precious food source , many would not be watching their children waste away and dying of starvation .

Someone with a chicken flock definitely have the advantage of a higher survivability rate than those that have not established that survival tool . People are dying at an unseen rate of starvation in some countries now . If they had established a flock of chickens and established a way to protect their precious food source , many would not be watching their children waste away and dying of starvation .
If the people in 3rd world countries are too stupid to stop breeding, they won't be smart enough to take care of flock of chickens. Let them eat crickets, if they're good enough for us, according to the WEF, then they should be good enough for the 3rd world beggers.

Latest posts

Back