Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Split some firewood today then started on roofing the woodshed again. This is the third time I put the rolled tar paper up. The wind blew it off the other two times. This time I used the nails with the big plastic head instead of using the roofing stapler. Also got the corner flashing nailed down. Tomorrow morning I'll start nailing down the shingles. Once I'm done with the roof I just need to put up the door tracks, build the doors and paint it.
It's starting to cool off at night now so our garden might be about done. What we have left isn't worth building cold frames for. Today the wife was out picking stuff and hurt her leg, so she's probably going to stay out of the garden until next spring.
Still smokey today. Too smokey and dusty to even see the sunset tonight. There's a slight chance of rain next Thursday, could be more dry lightning.
I've been working on building a new game bird brooder in my spare time. It's 6'×10', all I've got built so far is the floor.

Cooking question...

A long time ago a career baker told me scooping flour with the measuring cup was not acceptable (lol, almost got fired for it). She told me that I MUST use a different scoop and pour it into the measuring cup, then scrape off the excess. Many years later it finally bothered me enough to weigh the flour both ways.

Just reaching into the bag with the measuring cup, going only deep enough to ensure it gets filled, then scraping off the excess with a butter knife back into the bag, the scale read 156g.

Using a spoon to fill the measuring cup yielded 135g. The old lady was right!!!

With this data in hand, I looked up how much 1 cup of flour is supposed to weigh. King Arthur claims that 1 cup of all purpose flour (I am using Wheat Montana AP from Walmart) should weigh 116g.

What should I go by when recipes call for 1 cup? 116g? Or is that number low on account of King Arthur grinding it finer?
If you have a good scale then rather weigh each time instead of scoops ,if using a recipe , wright the weights in the recipe book to be consistent , we have a 3Kg scale that weighs in 1 g measure

There is no agreement on how many grams a cup of flour weighs.
King Arthur Flour: 120 grams
Bake From Scratch: 125 grams
Washington Post: 126 grams
The New York Times: 128 grams
Bon Appétit: 130 grams
AllRecipes.com: 136 grams
The L.A. Times; Cook’s Illustrated: 142 grams

The problem with measuring flour by volume is flour can be aerated differently. It can be sifted, stirred and fluffed, all of which yield a different weight.

Is the exact measurement of flour that critical in baking?
Yes it is unfortunately. Not only is the measure critical, the temperature of the ingredients, the elevation above sea level, the grind of the flour and the hardness of your water. How finely ground or coarse, the flour, the different type of breads you get. If I want breakfast biscuits for gravy, I do not need to worry too much about the flour. But, if I want some soft and sweet dinner biscuits / buns, then the flour needs to be sifted better and ground finer. I can get my hands of five different grinds of flour here to do my breads, croissants and biscuits, or, my pancakes and waffels, or, my buns and toast, or, my different types of pie crusts and flour tortillas...one special grind is only used for the local type of cheese and sesame seed topped little biscuits called "pogacsa" and "kifle".

I've never baked anything that didn't come out of a box yet, but I would like to learn how to bake bread someday
Start here like this and get better with time. I also learned from the Indians that the ashes added some minerals and potassium to the bread. This was my only bread for nine months crossing America in 1976.

Yesterday just before dark I finished the roofing on the woodshed and the wife painted the brooder house. Today we're taking the kayaks up to a mountain lake and go fishing. We won't be having many more warm days so we want to take advantage of it.

Hope you two are having a fun time! Lord knows you both deserve it!

Latest posts

Back