Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no i didnt.figured the heat from the stew would do.but was mistaken.not all sealed up ..i wonder if i can heat them up after they cooled off.and make um seal that way

Sorry! I did not mean to offen you. It only takes one (1) tsp to kill approximately 100,000 people of clostriduim botulinum ( botulism) bacteria.
The reason for pressure canning is to bring the temperature above 212°F. Pressure canning will brig your foods up to 240°F plus and also create a vacuum as pressure and temperature drops. Maybe it would be safe if you put jars in canner and slowly brought back up to temp. Jars may break. Also I have never let cool and then can. We all let food cool to room temperature before putting the food in the frig. So depenting on how long to was out to cool and seal!? It may be safe!?. On that one I would ask and veteran/ old timer in the canning world, or GOOGLE IT?
Again I was not trying to offened!

Good luck, be safe, and God bless.
P.S. We always invert our jars when we let them cool, mom called and said that if it has only been a few hours after finding they did not seal. You key be safe

is it a good or bad thing to do,if i used my canner as a water bath to reheat the jars,then let them cool again just to make sure they seal??

Jim you were doing really good by sterilizing your jars and putting the food into them, but I would also run a plastic spoon around and thru your stew after putting the stew into the jars, to make sure you don't have any air bubbles and wipe the rim of your jars just to make sure that they are clean and you can get a good seal. Now this next part is what you left out. Since beef stew is a low acid food ( all meats, be it beef chicken pork seafood and most vegetables) having a Ph level of greater that 4.6 must be heat processed in a pressure cooker to destroy bacteria. Place your jars into your pressure canner, adjust water level, lock lid down and bring to a boil with vent off. Once you see a steady stream of steam let vent for 10 minutes then close vent. Let your pressure get up to 10 lbs (pressure allowed for 0 - 1000 ft above sea level and since you are in Texas, I don't think you are higher than 1000 ft) and process your pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes. You will need to watch your pressure because if it falls under 10 lbs you will need to start your timing over. Honestly, I get mine up to 11 lbs just in case. Once your time is up, turn off heat and let the pressure release naturally, do NOT take the vent off at this time. If you do, there is a chance that you will loose the liquid in your jars and you will not get a proper seal. Once it is on 0 lbs, wait a couple minutes then remove your jars and let cool.

Once you get the hang of things canning is a lot of fun! It makes you feel accomplished to see all the things from the garden in their jars sitting pretty on your shelves. Good luck Jim

is it a good or bad thing to do,if i used my canner as a water bath to reheat the jars,then let them cool again just to make sure they seal??
If it were me and my lids didn't seal, I would take everything out of the jars and start over and in your case, even the jars that did seal

Jim you were doing really good by sterilizing your jars and putting the food into them, but I would also run a plastic spoon around and thru your stew after putting the stew into the jars, to make sure you don't have any air bubbles and wipe the rim of your jars just to make sure that they are clean and you can get a good seal. Now this next part is what you left out. Since beef stew is a low acid food ( all meats, be it beef chicken pork seafood and most vegetables) having a Ph level of greater that 4.6 must be heat processed in a pressure cooker to destroy bacteria. Place your jars into your pressure canner, adjust water level, lock lid down and bring to a boil with vent off. Once you see a steady stream of steam let vent for 10 minutes then close vent. Let your pressure get up to 10 lbs (pressure allowed for 0 - 1000 ft above sea level and since you are in Texas, I don't think you are higher than 1000 ft) and process your pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes. You will need to watch your pressure because if it falls under 10 lbs you will need to start your timing over. Honestly, I get mine up to 11 lbs just in case. Once your time is up, turn off heat and let the pressure release naturally, do NOT take the vent off at this time. If you do, there is a chance that you will loose the liquid in your jars and you will not get a proper seal. Once it is on 0 lbs, wait a couple minutes then remove your jars and let cool.

Once you get the hang of things canning is a lot of fun! It makes you feel accomplished to see all the things from the garden in their jars sitting pretty on your shelves. Good luck Jim

p.s. my canner dont have a gage..so i'm not sure about the pressure.

p.s. my canner dont have a gage..so i'm not sure about the pressure.
Than you have a pressure cooker. . . not a pressure canner. Sorry bud. The most important part of pressure canning is the pressure. I looked at the pic last night and saw the vent on top but no pressure gauge. . . since it has been a few years back since I bought mine, I thought maybe they incorporate it into the lid somehow. You never know with technologies now days. I go by pressure while I am canning and would be very leery of trying to do any canning in a pressure cooker.

yes the pounds of pressure is the important part of making sure that the botulism is killed... and it has to sustain at that poundage for at least a certain time as well.

yeah.i made the mistake of buying it without noticing it's a pressure cooker instead of pressure canner.thinking of returning it so i can get a pressure canner instead...on account i figure it's better safe then sorry later on..but then im wondering if its a good idea to keep what i have and still get a pressure canner.that way i have what i need when it comes to both..

I would only keep it if you plan on pressure cooking food (having nothing to do with canning of it with that pot). Some people like to pressure cook because it cooks food faster. So it's up to you if you would use or not. But, it won't work for pressure canning at all.

I received a pressure cooker for Christmas years ago and I have yet to use it. But I really don't have a problem with having to cook food quickly. On the days I know will be hectic, I generally just take something that I had premade and cook that, be is a soup, lasagna, chicken spaghetti, etc. It is up to you if you would actually use it. If it were me, I'd return it for the pressure canner

Same here Dani, highly unlikely I would use one either. For days that we are extra busy I use my crock pot (less watching and rarely any burning).

When I was working outside of the home 50 plus hours a week, I did use my crockpot a lot! I just don't have to use it as much these days. It sure does make great hot wings, roast of any kind, and red beans with sausage. I even made crock pot lasagna back in the day. The crock is so versatile and so many awesome recipes can be done.

i have one of the canning sticks,(or what ever their called)for making sure there's no bubbles..i did forget about wiping the rim.

Jim, I talked with my mom, "Master Canner"! If she can get it in a jar she cans it or preserve's it. Up where she lives the whole area gets together at the church and have a "canning party" , been there more like work than a party. Anyway she sent this PDF and said it may help you.

Good luck, be safe, and God bless

Attachments

• Pressure%20canning%20Beef%20Stew%20and%20Meats%20%200004.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
i just down loaded preserving and pickling two hundred recipes for preserves.. new hartford canning co,'s cream corn..the economical cook book.practical cookery book of to-day and,100 delicious jerky recipes..in which first 3 are free down loads.and the jerky book is only $0.99 cents

thanks for the link

i have one of the canning sticks,(or what ever their called)for making sure there's no bubbles..i did forget about wiping the rim.
;) I knew what you meant about 'canning stick'. . . I don't know what that little clear plastic thing was call myself. Half the time I can't find it in my 'junk' drawer that holds a bunch of different kitchen gadgets, so I will use whatever I do find, just not metal.

Latest posts

Back