Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across a jalapeño canning recipe and it says pickle crisp.optional. but not how much.anyone know how much i need to add to each jar?

• 6 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Ball® Pickle Crisp (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. LEAVE peppers whole or cut into 1-inch pieces. Mix peppers together if using multiple varieties.
  2. COMBINE vinegar, water, and garlic in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Discard garlic.
  3. PACK peppers into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add Ball® Pickle Crisp to each jar, if desired.
  4. LADLE hot liquid over peppers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
  5. WIPE rim and adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
(Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.)
When I have used pickle crisp (pickling cucumbers) we used 2-3 of the little pellets in each jar, if I remember correctly, per the directions on the pickle crisp label. It's been a few years since I did it though.

I rhink that i just found a recipe that i like.

Preserve your harvest of jalapenos so that you can add a little spice to your recipes throughout the year. Canning jalapenos is a great way to have plenty of jalapenos on hand to add to your nachos, tacos, and any other Mexican dishes to which you want to add a little heat.

• 8 cups water
  • 4 cups vinegar
  • 1/2 cup canning salt (pickling salt)
Container:6 pint-size canning jars with lids
Directions
PREP
1.75 hrs
COOK
10 mins

• Wash canning jars and lids in hot soapy water or in the dishwasher before using.
  • Wearing rubber gloves, clean the jalapenos by trimming off the stem end and cleaning out the seeds from the inside using a small paring knife. Insert the paring knife into the jalapeno and cut around the ribs so that the insides can be pulled out. Then tap the open end of the jalapeno on your work surface to remove the remaining seeds. You can leave some of the seeds in if you want hotter jalapenos but be careful because a few can make a big difference. Most of the heat is in the seeds.
  • Once the seeds are removed, slice the jalapenos into rings and place in the jars; fill to about 1/2 inch of the top edge.
  • Mix the brine solution in a saucepan and bring to a full boil.
  • While the brine is cooking, place the lids into a small pan and cover completely with water. Heat until boiling and then turn down so they are just lightly boiling.
  • Once the brine is boiling, pour over the jalapenos in the jars until they are completely covered. Do not fill more than 1/4 inch from the top edge of the jar.
  • Immediately place the hot cover on the jar and seal firmly but not too tight.
  • Allow jars to cool completely at room temperature and then store in a cool, dry and dark area. Make sure jars have sealed before storing. Store for up to a year.
Note: You can use jars with screw on lids that have the rubber seal inside the lid or you can use actual canning lids and rings, both need to be boiled before using. Also, if you don't have 6 full pint jars of jalapenos to preserve at one time, you can adjust the brine amounts accordingly. I have made up quarter and half batches at times.

If I could get my hands on pickle crisp on a regular basis I would use it for jalapenos too. It is 1/4 teaspoon for a pint jar so one bag does go a long way. Even though you are not processing, the jalapeno does tend to get soft when the hot brine is poured over and sorta cooks while it cools down. It will not stay crisp.
Oh and as long as you use uniodize salt you are good. Much cheaper than canning salt.

If I could get my hands on pickle crisp on a regular basis I would use it for jalapenos too. It is 1/4 teaspoon for a pint jar so one bag does go a long way. Even though you are not processing, the jalapeno does tend to get soft when the hot brine is poured over and sorta cooks while it cools down. It will not stay crisp.
Oh and as long as you use uniodize salt you are good. Much cheaper than canning salt.
We would buy it from Walmart in little jars back where I grew up. I haven't looked for it here where I live now since I don't have anything to pickle.

We would buy it from Walmart in little jars back where I grew up. I haven't looked for it here where I live now since I don't have anything to pickle.
Oh I have looked for it for years and at multiple locations. I just cant find it locally. My mom brought me back a bag back in 2017 when she went to Colorado to visit my aunt. I use it sparingly, but mainly for a certain pickle recipe I have.

Question for those that's canned jalapeños before..how important is it to wearing glove's while handling the jalapeños? Especially while deseeding them.

I have a bag of pickle crisp from when i started buying my canning supplies. So i used a 1/4 teaspoonin each jar. I have 8 pints waiting for the water and vinegar mix to come to a rolling boil now.

Edit correction. .9 pints

Last edited:
I ended up not wearing glove's. I washed my hands good.and with dish soap.rubed a eye later.burn baby burn.washed hands again.then used paper towel on eyelid.problem solved.

I finally got around to processing the left over Turkey and the carcass yesterday. The day before I simmered the turkey carcass most of the day with added in rooster booster, onion and celery. Stuck in fridge overnight so I could skim off all the fat. Since I processed 3 pints of meat I stuck them in with those. Got 9 pints of of nice looking turkey broth to add to my shelves. I've really missed canning since I didn't do my garden this season. For Christmas gifts I did do some Maple Jalapeno Onion Bacon Jam found over at the canning granny blog. Pretty good savory jam.

I canned 12- 1/2 pints yesterday. It dawned on me.that i can do that with vegetables as well seeing how it's just my dog n me now.

0222191106.jpg

Canned foods are notoriously good for long term storage, but there are still precautions to be noted. Check out this article https://zamonthly.org/2019/01/09/prepper-pro-tip-beware-of-botulism/
I do totally agree in safe canning practices. . . .unfortunately the canning gods are not able to approve every recipe that is out there that has been tried and true because of limited funds. I understand that. If one stays true to the guidelines set out by them, then a person should be just fine. I have been canning for a good number of years, never giving anyone botulism and will admit I am a canning rebel of sorts because I know of the limited funds. . . . I can butter, milk, pickled eggs etc which are all not approved.
There are many recipes out there from other countries that are great. Many of the approved water bath recipes I just can not take, mainly because of the vinegar used so I will alter. . . Like in hot sauce. . . I use no vinegar but use lemon juice instead. I know my tomatoes have the acid level, but as a precaution I use the lemon just in case.

I don't think this is the thread I was looking for, but it works for topic..although doesn't appear anyone posted here since 2019...

Anyhooo!

I haven't canned anything since I think October til today! I pulled 15 kielbasa out of freezer... filled 8 quart jars..could only get 7 quarts in canner ..but I think they turned out good! My first time canning kielbasa...Can't really tell from pic though

Attachments

• 20230114_214543.jpg
    12.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back