Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few quart jars of that myself. Needed to do something after the slaughter of a steer and now making room for a pig. Wishing that cool weather will soon come here, cause it is so much easier to cook up a big pot of whatever and then can it on up. Temps have been around 97 but with humidity, it feels more like 100 plus around here. Hubby complains about the eclectic bill with me canning all summer, so with the meat part, I tend to wait till it cools off, if I can. But with beef stew, I can.

I would water bath butter, fruit, jellies, tomatoes and pickled stuff but I sure wouldn't water bath meat, broth or veggies. I'd only pressure can that stuff. Just isn't worth the risk. I love to can peach jam and strawberry jam.

Why not buy one of the great canning books at places like WalMart? They have the Ball book which has all the SAFE times and pressures. There are also places online to get that information.

The only thing we waterbathe is pickles and tomatoes with acid added, as recommended for safety. Everything else goers in the pressure canner. What isn't used is tossed out after 18 months.

This is an excellent site for asking questions on safe methods of canning:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/[/quote] As long as the seal stays on your jar it's still good. We don't throw anything away unless it's bad. I have some stuff in my storage that I canned in 1988 and they are still good. I ate some canned meat last week that was done 5yrs. ago and it was perfectly good. Kitty, you must be a millionaire if you can afford to throw away all your stuff after 18 months. I'm storing my food for long term not just 18 months. We have at least 1200 qts. canned. of all kinds of stuff. There is no way I will throw away that much food unless it becomes bad. When my grandfather died he had a lot of canned goods that were over 20yrs. old and they were still good. If everything goes to sh!t for 5, 10 or even 15 yrs. you will be up sh!t creek if you throw away all your stuff after 18 months. If you check with the old timers, they will tell you the same thing I just did, food properly packed in jars are good as long as the vacuum is still intact and the lid didn't pop up. I'm 65yrs, old and have been canning with my grandparents and parents since I was about 8yrs old. As Cajuns we have really been prepping all of our lives. It's just a part of life for us. We are a rough people but that is our heritage and we are PROUD of it.

Well, Danil, I know what you are talking abut when it comes to the heat. The heat index was 108 today. To hot to can, so I plowed. Tractor with broken AC. That was fun. I will be canning most likely all weekend. It's going to be 97 to 98 all weekend. No telling what the index will be. Got your PM with directions, THANKS. We will be killing a calf tomorrow. So I have to get some meat out of the freezer so I can put the fresh meat in.

Does any body have a good recipes for canned meatloaf and sausage?? We are wanting to can more meats in case the power goes out, have two deer in freezer and three Fl. Rooters in the pen awaiting for a cold snap then chops, ribs, bacon & hams (getting salt and sugar) for the smoke house. Would like to put up some of the deer/hog sausage & make meatloaf for canning.

Does any body have a good recipes for canned meatloaf and sausage?? We are wanting to can more meats in case the power goes out, have two deer in freezer and three Fl. Rooters in the pen awaiting for a cold snap then chops, ribs, bacon & hams (getting salt and sugar) for the smoke house. Would like to put up some of the deer/hog sausage & make meatloaf for canning.

Sorry I have no recipes. I know nothing of canning...... sigh.....

That being said, and since your post made me hungry, May I come over for dinner when it is all ready?

Come on! Food is always available if you know where to look! That's not at W-Mart, the wife says 0 dark 30 is supper time!

Lets see this week I ....

processed, and pressure canned 7 roosters, Making three jars of breasts, 12 jars of drums and thighs, all in pints.
12 pints of Red and Blue potatoes.
12 pints of Carrots.
12 pints of Chili.
Then processed another 4 roosters after and made 12 pints of Silkie Veg Soup.
6 pints of Apple pie filling.

OK, we did can 5 jars of bacon as our test run, and also put up 8pints of velvet a cheese. They flew in my check on luggage, seals still intact. Cooked up the bacon and used some of the cheese in scrambled eggs. All was well. Thanks for the bacon and the cheese tips. As always.
Good luck, be safe, and God bless

i just canned 11 one pint jars of home made stew..now it's just a matter of waiting to see if the seal or not once they've cooled..thinking of doing some chilli next.

i just canned 11 one pint jars of home made stew..now it's just a matter of waiting to see if the seal or not once they've cooled..thinking of doing some chilli next.
Congrats! What kind of stew?

beef stew.i made it up fresh.so i heated the jars in the oven for 20 minutes,and just before stew is done..then i sat the jars out next to stew.used funnel to put meat n veggies into the jars.then diped juice into jars.put lids n rings on.then used a jar tightner to tighten rings..i used 20 qt pot to cook up the stew..now im waiting to see if they seal or not..that'll be in the morning

Latest posts

Back