Camper's and RV's.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to get my wife to see the benefit and fun of having a trailer. I have a Ram 2500 with a Cummins but nothing to tow..... As a former cross country truck driver I love the open road.
I thought i wanted a motor home too, I purchased one 3 yrs ago. Motor homes are MONEY PITS, First insurance and taxes are outrageous, there are very few people that can work on them, and repair parts are VERY expensive!!! Found it was not equitable to continue with motor home, so i just sold it and bout a small cabin way back in mountains!!!!

I hate camping. I'd rather stay in a nice hotel or resort. Besides I live inside the national forest surrounded by mountains, forest, lakes, rivers and streams, with clean water and air, game and fish. I really have no reason to leave this area. I can go salmon/steelhead fishing just a few miles from my house. Also sturgeon, catfish, bass and perch. I have bluegill, trout and catfish in my pond and trout in every stream around here. Nope. No reason for me to camping.

That is a beautiful camper. I bet you get good gas mileage. Its easy to store, and park. How do you heat it?
Maybe its only used during cool months. Beats the motor home I had. It was about the same size but had none of the advantages. Cool.

I thought i wanted a motor home too, I purchased one 3 yrs ago. Motor homes are MONEY PITS, First insurance and taxes are outrageous, there are very few people that can work on them, and repair parts are VERY expensive!!! Found it was not equitable to continue with motor home, so i just sold it and bout a small cabin way back in mountains!!!!
There is no doubt RV’s are expensive and depreciate every year. The only way I ever recommend one is if you have the cash to spare and the time to use it. NEVER consider financing one. I love mine and do enjoy it, but it’s not an investment, just a toy. The cabin is a tangible asset that’s likely to go up in value. Undoubtedly real estate is the better financial move.

I agree a motor home can be a money pit, that is why I was looking at trailers, While there is a certain maintenance level with trailers, I would gather it is much lower than a motor home since there isn't a traditional drive train to contend with.

We also have a 22ft trailer, kitchen, TV, toilet, shower, heater, sleeps 4 and weighs in a 1 ton. Very little upkeep, normal tires. Many people are surprised when they look inside, it is much larger than it looks like from the outside.

trailer.JPG

I'm stuck. I like the ones with all the bells and whistles, 30+ ft if im going to put it on some land pre shtf. And I want one small enough and rugged enough to dip off of the main road post shtf.
It is hard to find one that is small with JUST the things I want. We want a king bed, willing to settle for a queen. A full bathroom, not a water closet. An outdoor kitchen. Outside of that, everything else can be just basic stuff. I don't need a gourmet kitchen inside. I don't need a living room. Just a place to plant my butt. And it seems that no one makes one for a reasonable price. What "I" mean by reasonable is, not a 19 ft for the same price as a 34ft.

Our WILDWOOD has a real bathroom across the rear width of the trailer. The front of the trailer has a queen bed you can walk around on 3 sides. It took us 3 years to find the floor plan we liked. Not too many dealers in New Mexico. It helps to go to a big RV show, lots of dealers and catalogs. We have really enjoyed ours, traveling from New Mexico to upstate New York and out to Rapid City, SD. Over 5800 miles and 3 weeks on the road! For price issues you can check on the NADA website for value of used travel trailers. Hope that helps you!

I have an Rpod that is awesome. It’s a little smaller than I would like while camping but it’s great for pulling down the road easily. The slide out really helps but I admit I wish the bathroom was a bit larger. I don’t camp enough to consider getting anything larger though. This was an affordable toy and I don’t want to go overboard with trying to keep up with the Jones’s here.

I have an Rpod that is awesome. It’s a little smaller than I would like while camping but it’s great for pulling down the road easily. The slide out really helps but I admit I wish the bathroom was a bit larger. I don’t camp enough to consider getting anything larger though. This was an affordable toy and I don’t want to go overboard with trying to keep up with the Jones’s here.

Have a picture of it? The wife and I are considering buying in the next few years....going to replace my aged truck before we do, though. A good friend knows a lot about towing capacities and what's needed for what we're looking to do. Thankfully he's in Indiana where we're moving to soon ,and I'm hoping to make him part of our prepping group. Soemthing small and light weight would be great before we make the whole plunge, though a nice toy as you put it, to get our feet wet.

Remember folks as preppers if you are going to tow a trailer it should have the same size wheels and tyres and stud PCD as the tow vehicle. Wheel interchangability is vital when TSHTF.

Another VITAL issue for PREPPER campers is the need to have all of its bits n pieces INSIDE the vehicle making it boring, drab and unappatising, it needs to follow the gray man concept. A camper with hi lift jacks, jerry cans, roof racks, and cycle racks, gas bottles, tools etc fastened to the outside is only going to attract unwanted attention especially after TSHTF.

I agree a motor home can be a money pit, that is why I was looking at trailers, While there is a certain maintenance level with trailers, I would gather it is much lower than a motor home since there isn't a traditional drive train to contend with.

Self built panel van conversions work well and can be your every day drive as well. IE Stealth Campers.

SBC.jpg
SBC2.jpg
screen-shot-2019-03-13-at-2.09.05-pm.png
21768662_1899392290087418_6841500583861168687_o-794x529@2x.jpg

I've been looking into some of the higher end truck bed tents. For shtf purposes, I think that is the best way to go. But man some of them are pricey pricey. Upwards of $7k for a nice one. As an experiment one year, I bought a $79 truck bed tent. And drove from Colorado to Kentucky to visit family. It did the job, and paid for itself with one night of hotel savings. Whilst I wouldn't rely on this as my main shtf shelter, I have thought about just leaving it in the truck. In the package, its small and in a pinch itl keep the rain off ya. And... you, COULD, live out of it for a bit. If you were desperate.

Have a picture of it? The wife and I are considering buying in the next few years....going to replace my aged truck before we do, though. A good friend knows a lot about towing capacities and what's needed for what we're looking to do. Thankfully he's in Indiana where we're moving to soon ,and I'm hoping to make him part of our prepping group. Soemthing small and light weight would be great before we make the whole plunge, though a nice toy as you put it, to get our feet wet.
6258BA5A-571C-4213-99CC-BD9FF4146CF0.jpeg
This was the add I found on Craigslist for the RPod, and a picture of the tent room set up while we were using it. The tent is really nice as it keeps things dry and shaded and literally doubles the space of the camper. It has a queen bed that’s plenty of space, and could sleep 5 but that would be too crowded for my tastes. Like I said, the only complaint is the bathroom is a bit small. Still beats the hell out of tent camping though.

Attachments

• 9ED53E95-BD4D-4E20-8788-F35C73242F36.jpeg
    9ED53E95-BD4D-4E20-8788-F35C73242F36.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 12161This was the add I found on Craigslist for the RPod, and a picture of the tent room set up while we were using it. The tent is really nice as it keeps things dry and shaded and literally doubles the space of the camper. It has a queen bed that’s plenty of space, and could sleep 5 but that would be too crowded for my tastes. Like I said, the only complaint is the bathroom is a bit small. Still beats the hell out of tent camping though.

That is really pretty clever. Thanks! I think I'll research that model a bit further.

Here is something I came up with for keeping water spigots from freezing when you are in cold weather. Works good in campgrounds. I use a heated water hose in conjunction with it and have not had any issues with freezing of the spigots. Be sure to put a heavy rock or something on top if it is windy.

Yes I'm old. I still use the paint program.Deal with it. :p

Attachments

• Pic 1020.png
    Pic 1020.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Pic 1021.png
    Pic 1021.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Pic 1022.png
    Pic 1022.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Pic 1023.png