Camper's and RV's.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we started shopping we had a few must haves and a decent sized fridge was one of them.
The oven is another plus,you can fit a turkey in it easily.
And of course the Wife insisted we have a real bathroom,the shower is pretty tight though.
I use the outdoor shower more than the indoor one.
Yeah, a real shower was important to us as well. I use an air fryer a lot so the oven wasn’t a big deal for me but that fridge is really awesome. I had never heard of an automated awning sensing winds before, really cool. I took the top bunk out of the rear bedroom on ours and added a closet rod and a lot of extra storage. My biggest problem now is staying below a reasonable weight limit! Oh, also added a 3800w dual fuel generator too. So we are really well self contained now but limited to 27 gallons of water in the fresh tank. I did also get two 6 gal water totes too. Is this your first camper?

The great thing about it is the dual pane windows and the 45 gallon water tank as well as 45 gallon gray and black tanks.
You can set it up and be able to stay a long time.

Yeah, a real shower was important to us as well. I use an air fryer a lot so the oven wasn’t a big deal for me but that fridge is really awesome. I had never heard of an automated awning sensing winds before, really cool. I took the top bunk out of the rear bedroom on ours and added a closet rod and a lot of extra storage. My biggest problem now is staying below a reasonable weight limit! Oh, also added a 3800w dual fuel generator too. So we are really well self contained now but limited to 27 gallons of water in the fresh tank. I did also get two 6 gal water totes too. Is this your first camper?

What are you towing it with?
The Tundra pulls the Lance like it wasn't even there.
Of course the gas mileage is horrendous at 8 mpg.

The great thing about it is the dual pane windows and the 45 gallon water tank as well as 45 gallon gray and black tanks.
My last camper was an RPod which was a bit better built but it was just too small and claustrophobic even with the slide.

I’ve got an FJ cruiser that pulls this fine but I am maxed out without getting a better tow vehicle. I’m rated for 5000 but I don’t like to go that high so I’m at about 4000lbs with this rig.

I’ve got an FJ cruiser that pulls this fine but I am maxed out without getting a better tow vehicle. I’m rated for 5000 but I don’t like to go that high so I’m at about 4000lbs with this rig.
I still get close to 15mpg while towing on the highway. I slow down to between 55 and 60 which pisses everyone off but it made a big difference in mileage for me

Bumpers on campers can’t support weight without welding additional supports. I welded this up to be able to handle anything. I’m completely done modifying it now and hope to enjoy many more trips over the nest few years now.

Attachments

• 2457DFB2-2576-45A4-85FC-3D753CA29A1B.jpeg
    2457DFB2-2576-45A4-85FC-3D753CA29A1B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • A0B01395-4FBF-4576-9339-67ED0D5EF9D4.jpeg
    A0B01395-4FBF-4576-9339-67ED0D5EF9D4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 6F29299B-393B-4753-A2C2-5DFD567B39F1.jpeg
    6F29299B-393B-4753-A2C2-5DFD567B39F1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 7F70C7DA-1461-4B10-8316-758CCC52D9C9.jpeg
    7F70C7DA-1461-4B10-8316-758CCC52D9C9.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 42E77808-D751-4F89-8037-02271EC350A3.jpeg
    42E77808-D751-4F89-8037-02271EC350A3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
We have a 34' Jayfilight that we bought about 15 years ago for 9,000. It is now at the BOL #2 and I built a pallet deck on cinderblocks, and used the old boards we had replaced on the deck at BOL#.

I used to spend summers in Estes Park living with (then) three kids and three dogs... while my middle son was at hockey camp in Boulder. Trying to "regular" camp for two months with all of those critters, was just too crazy. The RV made it much easier.

Ours has a shower and a tub, but the tub is so small...I like to SOAK up to my neck, so I built an outdoor "bath" to make do. I like it so much, that the "cabin" will have the washing facilities outside instead of in! Nothing more relaxing at the end of a hard day than a glass of red wine, hot as you can stand it water (I cheated), an aromatic candle, a serenade of creek frogs and a canopy of stars!

I have a portable washer but, no dryer, so that gets put on the fence for drying.

Attachments

• 20220319_184540.jpg
    20220319_184540.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210902_211009.jpg
    20210902_211009.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210807_185124.jpg
    20210807_185124.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

Yeah I know all about towing with an FJ.
It's a white knuckle experience no doubt. I tried pulling my 20 foot Key West center console and it was exciting to say the least.
By the time you got to where you're going you needed a Xanax and a nap.

Bumpers on campers can’t support weight without welding additional supports. I welded this up to be able to handle anything. I’m completely done modifying it now and hope to enjoy many more trips over the nest few years now.

Nice set up.
Our generator is a Honda EU7000 so we can run anything and everything at the same time.
It pretty much stays in the back of the truck,I'd love to leave it at the lease but it's too damn expensive at $5500 hundred bucks to risk it.

Yeah I know all about towing with an FJ.
It's a white knuckle experience no doubt. I tried pulling my 20 foot Key West center console and it was exciting to say the least.
By the time you got to where you're going you needed a Xanax and a nap.
I have the load leveling/anti sway bars that really make it easy to pull but I don’t want to ever max out the weight limit on any tow vehicle. I’m mostly concerned about wearing out my tow vehicle or breaking down.

Nice set up.
Our generator is a Honda EU7000 so we can run anything and everything at the same time.
It pretty much stays in the back of the truck,I'd love to leave it at the lease but it's too damn expensive at $5500 hundred bucks to risk it.
Hondas are definitely the best out there but they are also the most expensive. I only run propane through the generator so it keeps the carburetor clean and prolongs the life even of a cheaper one. Your wise to not leave that alone on any site.

We have a 34' Jayfilight that we bought about 15 years ago for 9,000. It is now at the BOL #2 and I built a pallet deck on cinderblocks, and used the old boards we had replaced on the deck at BOL#.

I used to spend summers in Estes Park living with (then) three kids and three dogs... while my middle son was at hockey camp in Boulder. Trying to "regular" camp for two months with all of those critters, was just too crazy. The RV made it much easier.

Ours has a shower and a tub, but the tub is so small...I like to SOAK up to my neck, so I built an outdoor "bath" to make do. I like it so much, that the "cabin" will have the washing facilities outside instead of in! Nothing more relaxing at the end of a hard day than a glass of red wine, hot as you can stand it water (I cheated), an aromatic candle, a serenade of creek frogs and a canopy of stars!

I have a portable washer but, no dryer, so that gets put on the fence for drying.

Love the tub!!!
I have a water heater I used before the camper that puts out tons of hot water.
I used it with my James Baroud pop up tent that I had mounted on my trailer for the SxS.
It had heat and A/C that would freeze you to death if you ran it on high.
2FE6C4CA-B0AC-4FDA-BCFE-3027975497F8.jpeg
ED61CB53-AB95-41FB-A2EB-58BC6C4D540C.jpeg

So the most important part of all this is where are you going to explore next? I love being able to go just about anywhere and be able to bring my two dogs with us!

You guys are nuts to try towing anything that big with an FJ. I would only do my 5x8 utility with a lite load or my 14 ft small boat.
Maybe I’ll think different once I get the small lift and Bilsteins on. But I don’t think the motor is enough.
My 17’ camper is right at 4000 lbs and the FJ is rated at 5000lbs. That still gives me 20% padding from maxing it out. It doesn’t squat with the tongue weight either. The only time I really feel the trailer is when I’m going up a long hill. There isn’t a lot of power left over. But the 6 cylinder engine is one of Toyotas best and easily goes over 300,000 miles on average. It has done better than I expected so far.

You guys are nuts to try towing anything that big with an FJ. I would only do my 5x8 utility with a lite load or my 14 ft small boat.
Maybe I’ll think different once I get the small lift and Bilsteins on. But I don’t think the motor is enough.

Agreed...
I got rid of my FJ for that exact reason although I loved it for its off road capabilities.
To be honest I got tired of paying for the damage I inflicted on it offroading and just bought a SxS that I could trailer home if things went south.

I decided to check the bearings on the camper before taking it out again. The camper is only 2 years old but my gut feeling told me to inspect it. Really glad I checked it! The drivers side brake was shot and a lot of the grease has melted out from the heat. I assume it got stuck and wouldn’t release. I assume this was only on this side as I still felt braking when I hit the pedal. Either way I ordered the entire new brake and drum assemblies for both sides. I would rather start with fresh brakes and bearings before tackling the mountains. So much for saying I was completely done modifying this camper…..

Attachments

• 1E0950C4-E6F1-47C7-859C-22E19C0872CF.jpeg
    1E0950C4-E6F1-47C7-859C-22E19C0872CF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Agreed...
I got rid of my FJ for that exact reason although I loved it for its off road capabilities.
To be honest I got tired of paying for the damage I inflicted on it offroading and just bought a SxS that I could trailer home if things went south.
Even though the FJ has amazing off road capabilities I’m wise enough to not beat it up at this stage in my life. I am satisfied to know though that it is able to get me out of most situations or unexpected road hazards though. I keep this toy in really good shape and can’t see trashing it by 4 wheeling. It’s a 2013 and still looks brand new. I have an old Jeep if I get the urge to go trail riding.

Attachments

• F3D182CE-D81F-4CB5-880B-C4A251463D02.jpeg
    F3D182CE-D81F-4CB5-880B-C4A251463D02.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back