Buying Seeds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know if you have or not.but you might look into seeds for certain trees.like lemon orange grapefruit pecan to see what will grow in the area that you live..i see that you live in north carolina..so you might be very limited to what you can grow there when it comes to the trees

true, we have planted peach and pear trees here. Looks like this may be a bumper crop for us as for both. Last year the squirrels got all the baby peaches, and the pears didn't even start. Next year I plan on adding some apple trees here. All of my neighbors have pecans so we get all that we need from those 100% free. However we don't care for pecans much but I shell them and keep them just in case.

pecans are great for pies brownies and other foods.and seeing how yall shell them..then you might be able to sell them or trade them for something yall need

Trade might work with them all. I normally keep about 5 to 10 pounds here shelled. I figure for that just in case scenario. I came across a recipe the other day for canned pecan pie filling so was thinking about making some and putting that on the shelf. You never know when it may come in handy.

oh yeah..i dont remember which topic.and i think its in the women's section..but pecans can be made into flour

There is a difference between a hybrid and a genetically modified hybrid. Simple hybrids are just cross pollinated - one kind of plant is pollinated from another kind of plant. They may or may not produce viable seeds, but the offspring of the seeds will likely not be the same as the parent plants.

Genetically modified hybrids, like Monsanto's "Frankencorn", have been modified through advanced genetic engineering technology to introduce characteristics that don't occur in nature. Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" corn produces it's own insecticide and is resistant to Roundup herbicide.
but you make it sound so yummy! roundup flavored corn!

I have 4 big pecan trees that came from a tree that had been on the town square since the early 1900's that the County cut down in the 1980's . We picked up pecans and planted them and in 30 plus years they are nice trees I've planted pecans from them and have alot of little trees started . I pick up buckets of pecans from these . It's part of my prepping . Also like the brothers on Swamp People I can Squirel hunt in my yard ..... When my Wife is not home .

glad to hear that yall did that with the pecans and all..and as for Squirrel hunting goes.i've hear if a person hunts away from the home,they'll have the very same wild game close up to home for when it's needed

As the seasons are favorable for it, we'll be planting fruit trees this year and next. There are a few apple types that grow even in FL, so we're doing some Anna and some Golden Dorsett. We're also doing orange, lime, banana, avocado, and pear as well. We have some pineapple growing already, and an existing tangerine tree. We'll also be adding some blackberry bushes (the thorns make them good for growing along the fence line), and some blueberry ones (there are some that grow in FL). All of these will in areas that aren't for the horses to graze (especially since they'd eat all the apples).

Mostly, the apples would be for the horses anyhow...but all in the household like them too. I can certainly see us canning our own applesauce, fruit cocktail, and apple slices. Blueberries are apparently challenging, but we're in a good spot for trying the UF recommended varieties.

Of course, will be a few years before we see the new trees bear fruit (for most of them).

I hear Blueberries like natural fertilizer and soil that is high acidity low ph . Can't beat Florida's growing season .

Horses make all the fertilizer I'll need, lol....

We have so many wild black barries in a couple of fence rows every year we make cobblers , pie's and this year we are putting up presearves . Looks like a bumpper crop this year .

I plan next year to plant some raspberries next to the fence, it will fill it in so that people wont be staring all the time, and it also should help to keep things from coming in the yard that I don't want in it. I also was thinking about getting some strawberries next year. I don't have any now, and would love to have some planted in the front yard.

I'm clearing a spot for Raspberries and Bossom berries . I've had both before but a couple of shade trees grew and shaded them out .

Latest posts

Back