Buying Seeds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
Some stores only sell seeds seed packet, but I can go to an old farmers mercantile (which is about 25 miles from my home) to get a much better value when I purchase seeds from bulk containers, by the ounce or by the pound.. I get a lot more seeds for a lot less money. The seeds are put into a small bags that are labeled with the type of seed. This works well, since if I have a question about the seed, I already have it written down in a note book on what to do, and if I don’t, I can look it up (still) and then write it in my notebook.

When you first purchase seeds you should avoid Hybrid Seeds, if possible Look for Heirloom Seeds or Open Pollinated Seeds if available. Hybrid seeds are “genetically altered” and are only good for planting once. They will not reproduce the vegetable or fruit that was originally planted. Heirloom seeds, on the other hand, will produce crops that yield seeds that will reproduce the same plant year after year after year as God originally intended. When you purchase a package of seeds, do not plant all the seeds from the original package the first year. Save some of them if your first year’s planting is not successful. I also label and put which variety I plant so that I know which does best in my area.

Use the very best looking, strongest, and most productive plants in your garden for seeds. Generally, you are not looking for that 1 special fruit on the vine. Instead the characteristics you should look for are: early bearing of fruit, total fruit yield, fruit size and flavor and aroma, and disease resistance. Also, late bolting to seed, if needed. Resist the urge to eat your most delectable looking vegetables. Those are the ones you want to duplicate every year in the future. In most cases (but not all) it is important to save seeds from at least three different plants of the same variety to provide good pollination opportunities the following spring.

Allow seeds to fully ripen before harvesting to achieve the best germination yield the following spring. The seed must be given time to store enough nourishment so it can germinate the following spring and grow into a healthy seedling.

Seeds must be dried before they are stored. Individual seeds should be separated from one another so they can dry more evenly. Indoor air drying is usually the best. However, if you live in an extremely humid area, then you may dry your seeds by placing them in the sun in front of a southern facing window for about two days. The drier the seed, the longer the seed will remain alive in storage.

There are quite a few companies that make survival heirloom seeds, and have excellent packaging that will allow them to keep for years. As the poster above mentioned, don't do hybrids as you can't replant with the crop's seeds and expect the same.

You can buy heirloom seeds at WalMart and Dollar General. Package them well in brown lunch bags, pop into a zip loc bag and stick in the freezer, they stay viable for at least 10 years and you aren't lining the pockets of someone looking to fleece people who prep.

I saw that our Wal-Mart started carrying Heirlooms this year! I was so excited. . . I also found sound heirloom tomato plant over at Sutherlands, which is another first time this year. Honestly I didn't check out the Dollar General of Family Dollar stores. . . maybe I should.

Yep, just print off a list of heirloom varieties and go looking. You won't find the really rare and unique ones, but some of the ones we are already familiar with are heirlooms.

i've been getting my heirloom seeds from survivalseeds4patriots.com and seedrack.com ...so far i've gotton 1 national pickling cucumber,1 emerald okra,1 golden bantam corn,1 early summer crookneck squash,1 tender sweet carrot,and 3 rutgers tomatos..and all i paid for when it comes to the tomato seeds.is shiping n handleing..all the others i paid for and paid shipping as well..i wont go to wal mart,lowes home depot or where ever.on acount im not 100% sure of how good thier heirloom seeds are.and i do want the best i can get.pluse the ones i've gotton has a 5 year shelve life as long as thier kept under the right conditions.and as long as i keep them in thier packet and leave the packet sealed.i cant asfford to buy a hole lot at a time.so i'll buy what i can when i can.and hopefully i'll be well stocked in seeds come growing season..

i've been getting my heirloom seeds from survivalseeds4patriots.com and seedrack.com ...so far i've gotton 1 national pickling cucumber,1 emerald okra,1 golden bantam corn,1 early summer crookneck squash,1 tender sweet carrot,and 3 rutgers tomatos..and all i paid for when it comes to the tomato seeds.is shiping n handleing..all the others i paid for and paid shipping as well..i wont go to wal mart,lowes home depot or where ever.on acount im not 100% sure of how good thier heirloom seeds are.and i do want the best i can get.pluse the ones i've gotton has a 5 year shelve life as long as thier kept under the right conditions.and as long as i keep them in thier packet and leave the packet sealed.i cant asfford to buy a hole lot at a time.so i'll buy what i can when i can.and hopefully i'll be well stocked in seeds come growing season..
Look at what you may buy at the grocery store too. . . produce/beans. Can these seeds be saved and replanted? There is a lot that can be. All dried beans can be planted along with some fresh produce seeds depending on the variety.

There is a difference between a hybrid and a genetically modified hybrid. Simple hybrids are just cross pollinated - one kind of plant is pollinated from another kind of plant. They may or may not produce viable seeds, but the offspring of the seeds will likely not be the same as the parent plants.

Genetically modified hybrids, like Monsanto's "Frankencorn", have been modified through advanced genetic engineering technology to introduce characteristics that don't occur in nature. Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" corn produces it's own insecticide and is resistant to Roundup herbicide.

Some stores only sell seeds seed packet, but I can go to an old farmers mercantile (which is about 25 miles from my home) to get a much better value when I purchase seeds from bulk containers, by the ounce or by the pound.. I get a lot more seeds for a lot less money. The seeds are put into a small bags that are labeled with the type of seed. This works well, since if I have a question about the seed, I already have it written down in a note book on what to do, and if I don’t, I can look it up (still) and then write it in my notebook.
just need to make sure the seeds are organic /non GMO!

I found a site called seedsnow.com while on google. They have heirloom seeds and I got my order in 4days. I just got some winter veggies and will try beets,broccoli,cabbage,celery,chives,lettuce,onions,peas and spinach. All ten packs were 11.85 with shipping. I've never planted in winter before so I'll let you know if it works!

I found a site called seedsnow.com while on google. They have heirloom seeds and I got my order in 4days. I just got some winter veggies and will try beets,broccoli,cabbage,celery,chives,lettuce,onions,peas and spinach. All ten packs were 11.85 with shipping. I've never planted in winter before so I'll let you know if it works!
So far I have peas, broccoli, lettuce, spinach doing well, only a few chives are surviving and no celery or onions. I'm actually amazed that these are alive as there's been lots of nights in the teens and I do not heat the greenhouse. I got an onion out of the pantry yesterday and 4 had sprouted so I put them in with the few chives and hope for the best. I can't wait till spring!

It's been awhile since I was on the site. But I'm.going to be moving to a smaller location. And I want to start a garden. Where would I buy seeds??

It's been awhile since I was on the site. But I'm.going to be moving to a smaller location. And I want to start a garden. Where would I buy seeds??
Seedsnow.com is the place I've been using. It really dosent matter where you buy, just try to get heritage, which will allow you to collect the seeds to replant next year. A lot of the seeds you get at regular retail places have been altered and will not produce viable seeds, making you buy more next season. I also stay away from 'treated' seeds. My feed and seed place had orange corn seeds, when I asked what it was all they could tell me is that it made the seeds much more likely to sprout. They didn't have a clue what it was. In all fairness, it could be completely safe, but I didn't buy 'em.

building up my seed bank...:):rolleyes:
but i only have 1 packet of each..and i'm hoping to add to that..

Summer Crookneck Squash
Emerald Okra
Golden Bantam Yellow Sweet Corn
Tendersweet Carrot
National Pickling Cucumber
Habenero Hot Pepper
Lincoln Shell Sweet Pea
Black Eyed Pea
Butterfly Weed - Pleurisy Root - Asclepias tuberosa
Borage
Cinnamon Basil
Anise Hyssop
Iroquois Cantaloupe
cinnamon basil
basil genovese
garlic chives
lemon mint
parsley single (broad) leaf
midewiwan sacred tobacco

I have started doing seed swaps with a few people lately and been getting some nice heirloom seeds to put away. To me it is always best to do the swaps to get new things then to spend the cash. This way my cash can go for other things that I will need.

one thing that's great about heirloom seeds..is you can save seeds from your crop(s),and save money that way..trade is great when you comee out ahead on it

I love trading seeds that I have for other seeds, however I always keep more then what I can actually use yearly from my own crops. When I have plenty of extras I trade them for something that I don't have. It ends up being a win, win situation. And sometimes, not to often but sometimes. I have someone that will send me vegetable seeds for my flower seeds.:)

i dont know if you have or not.but you might look into seeds for certain trees.like lemon orange grapefruit pecan to see what will grow in the area that you live..i see that you live in north carolina..so you might be very limited to what you can grow there when it comes to the trees

Latest posts

Back