Batteries. A study in power and preparedness.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbmonday

Reaction score
Most devices won’t work after the lights go out.

Most preppers mistakenly believe that they are well prepared for loss of power. They keep alkaline batteries, a generator, gasoline and even hand cranked flashlights. What most people don’t realize is that many of our devices that we use daily will no longer function without a constant supply of electricity every day. Almost every gadget, from your phone to your hand tools use lithium batteries. Why is this a bad thing, you may ask?

Lithium batteries only have a lifespan of 2-3 years, even if they have been sitting on a shelf and are unused. That’s right, a brand new lithium type battery will be unusable after 3 years. A typical AA rechargeable will still be usable and hold a charge after 10 years on a shelf. Lithium batteries also must stay at a high level of charge to remain functional. If you discharge one too deeply and the voltage level drops below a certain threshold, it’s ruined. Even if you have a solar charger lifespan of a lithium battery will not be longer than 3 years, and that is assuming you keep it fully charged every day.

Lithium batteries have a shorter lifespan than AA’s.

According to battery manufacturers a typical lithium-ion battery has a usable life of only 300-500 discharge cycles, whereas a regular eneloop rechargable AA has a usable life of 2100 discharge cycles. Which of these would you prefer to stake your life on? I know for myself, all of my flashlights, radios, and walkie-talkies use AA batteries and I do keep them in a stock rotation.

AA Batteries are everywhere.

In addition to this, specialized lithium batteries are hard to find. You can find rechargeable AA batteries at every pharmacy, grocery, and hardware store. Good luck finding that iphone or laptop battery at one of these places.

Why are Lithium batteries used in so many devices?

The reason that most household devices use Lithium batteries is very simple. They are cheap and have a high density level. What this means is that for the size and weight, you get more power out of a Lithium battery. But is this what you, as a prepper, really need?

The storing of important survival information is one preparation that is often overlooked.

Even for the most prepared and knowledgeable of us all, there is a lot of information that could make life better after SHTF. Books and articles that describe how to build a windmill or how to make herbal medicines are likely to become invaluable after a disaster. Books such as the Foxfire Series or Wild Edibles would be a serious boon to a person in a survival scenario, but books weigh too much to travel with, and can get wet, moldy, or catch on fire. Without this knowledge, you could be in a worse situation than you might be if you had it available to you. But if you are relying on Lithium chemistry batteries you may be setting yourself up for failure. So, just because you have all of the e-books on post-collapse survival that you’d ever need does not mean that you will actually be able to read and reference it. How do we avoid this situation and keep all of that information from disappearing in an apocalyptic scenario? Why not get a specialized device with AA batteries as an e-reader?

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }

Without a substantial investment most people will do better with learning how to survive without electricity. I think having some batteries of any type will help ease the transition, but like you said, none of the small types last any decent length of time. Solar for your house does have some long lasting battery solutions, both lithium and NiFi are very long lasting. They don’t come cheap though.

kb,

I call baloney. Your eneloop batteries are 15x more expensive than Li ion per watt. And to say Li ion batteries fail after 2-3 years, nonsense. How many here have a cell phone over 3 years old with a Li ion battery that is still going strong? Cycles & conditions are what kill a battery. Another issue is your eneloop batteries are 1.2v, when everything is designed for 1.5v AA batteries.

Do some simple math. Let's say you buy 30 eneloop batteries or 450 Li ion batteries (same cost either way, assuming same watt-hour capacity). And let's say your eneloop batteries last 3 times longer. OK, that means it's equivalent to 90 Li ion batteries. You're still 360 Li ion batteries ahead.

Batteries are a good prepp . I have batteries that are decades old that I use and rotate as I buy more . I also stock up on candles , oil lamps, matches , fire starters of various kinds . One of the best fire starting methods is a bic lighter .
Yes I do primitive prepping , homesteading , and the modern gadgets . They all have their place in prepping .

I use all name brand batteries for specific purposes, primarily I use eneloop batteries in the field because they are easier to charge on a back packable goal zero 28w solar charger. I already posted sometime ago on alkaline battery storage claims such as energizer/duracell. As I posted before, batteries are a short term SHTF and for the transitioning period into a long term scenario!

As I posted before, batteries are a short term SHTF and for the transitioning period into a long term scenario!

Mav,
What do you mean by 'short term'? I don't think it will be a problem to sustain them 5-10 years with the right preps. Yes, if you get a 'Walking Dead" scenario that lasts 10 years, ok, it'll get more difficult. For lead acid batteries, you have 3 parts. Lead, lead oxide, and acid. Lead & lead oxide don't go away. Sulfuric acid is not that difficult to make, or just store a bunch (fairly cheap).

Yes, charging systems will fail over time. But solar panels are rated for 80% efficient going out 20 years. You have to assume at some point society will recover... and it won't be decades out.

Mav,
What do you mean by 'short term'? I don't think it will be a problem to sustain them 5-10 years with the right preps. Yes, if you get a 'Walking Dead" scenario that lasts 10 years, ok, it'll get more difficult. For lead acid batteries, you have 3 parts. Lead, lead oxide, and acid. Lead & lead oxide don't go away. Sulfuric acid is not that difficult to make, or just store a bunch (fairly cheap).

Yes, charging systems will fail over time. But solar panels are rated for 80% efficient going out 20 years. You have to assume at some point society will recover... and it won't be decades out.

I didn't clarify, alkaline batteries are short term, I'm not going to store 5-10 years worth of alkaline given the issues I had with energizer and duracell, I'm stocking more of the energizer lithium than the alkaline plus the eneloop, eneloop's I know I would easily get 5+ years of use.

Without a substantial investment most people will do better with learning how to survive without electricity. I think having some batteries of any type will help ease the transition, but like you said, none of the small types last any decent length of time

Exactly. If your preps don't include preparing for an eventual loss of power completely, then you really aren't prepped. Sure, it's nice to have generators, hordes of batteries, solar, etc., but if such an incident is long term......

My only regret would be losing AC and a fridge. Those two would be hard to live without in FL.

:D Gazrok, I lived a few years in South Florida and one thing I remember is the Natives (people who were born and lived their whole lives there) claiming that the worst thing to happen to Florida was the invention of the AC. That allowed the Northerners to move in. NOTE: Anyone from most anywhere else in the US are Northerners. Even folks from GA and SC are Northerners to them. :shtf

Exactly. If your preps don't include preparing for an eventual loss of power completely, then you really aren't prepped.
Gasified wood + propane genny. I have the latter, but I think I can whip up the former without too much trouble.
Planet_Mechanics_wood_gasifier.png

batteries wont last long, we don't know how long they have been sitting on the shelf before we buy them and put them in our drawer.
I prefer wind up flashlights, but even they wont last forever.
solar panels are good for 20 or 30 years but not the things they plug into.
I plan to live a non power lifestyle post SHTF, I've done it before and i'll do it again.

Most devices won’t work after the lights go out.

Most preppers mistakenly believe that they are well prepared for loss of power. They keep alkaline batteries, a generator, gasoline and even hand cranked flashlights. What most people don’t realize is that many of our devices that we use daily will no longer function without a constant supply of electricity every day. Almost every gadget, from your phone to your hand tools use lithium batteries. Why is this a bad thing, you may ask?

Lithium batteries only have a lifespan of 2-3 years, even if they have been sitting on a shelf and are unused. That’s right, a brand new lithium type battery will be unusable after 3 years. A typical AA rechargeable will still be usable and hold a charge after 10 years on a shelf. Lithium batteries also must stay at a high level of charge to remain functional. If you discharge one too deeply and the voltage level drops below a certain threshold, it’s ruined. Even if you have a solar charger lifespan of a lithium battery will not be longer than 3 years, and that is assuming you keep it fully charged every day.

Lithium batteries have a shorter lifespan than AA’s.

According to battery manufacturers a typical lithium-ion battery has a usable life of only 300-500 discharge cycles, whereas a regular eneloop rechargable AA has a usable life of 2100 discharge cycles. Which of these would you prefer to stake your life on? I know for myself, all of my flashlights, radios, and walkie-talkies use AA batteries and I do keep them in a stock rotation.

AA Batteries are everywhere.

In addition to this, specialized lithium batteries are hard to find. You can find rechargeable AA batteries at every pharmacy, grocery, and hardware store. Good luck finding that iphone or laptop battery at one of these places.

Why are Lithium batteries used in so many devices?

The reason that most household devices use Lithium batteries is very simple. They are cheap and have a high density level. What this means is that for the size and weight, you get more power out of a Lithium battery. But is this what you, as a prepper, really need?

The storing of important survival information is one preparation that is often overlooked.

Even for the most prepared and knowledgeable of us all, there is a lot of information that could make life better after SHTF. Books and articles that describe how to build a windmill or how to make herbal medicines are likely to become invaluable after a disaster. Books such as the Foxfire Series or Wild Edibles would be a serious boon to a person in a survival scenario, but books weigh too much to travel with, and can get wet, moldy, or catch on fire. Without this knowledge, you could be in a worse situation than you might be if you had it available to you. But if you are relying on Lithium chemistry batteries you may be setting yourself up for failure. So, just because you have all of the e-books on post-collapse survival that you’d ever need does not mean that you will actually be able to read and reference it. How do we avoid this situation and keep all of that information from disappearing in an apocalyptic scenario? Why not get a specialized device with AA batteries as an e-reader?

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }

Mate. I've been running dewalt lithium ion batteries I've had for 6 years, used daily and take a beating, still hold thier charge extremely well

Latest posts

Back