Ammunition

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I travel in their territory, I give them the road. When they travel in my territory, they tend to end up dead. Children and small pets do not know better or are as aware of the snakes presence. Cats and dogs can keep the rat population in check. Pellet or 22 lr. will also help reduce the rat population. Venous snakes need to stay out in the wild.

I did a count of some of my purchased ammunition not counting any big bore handgun/rifle calibers or reloads.

21,050 - .22 cal CCI/Federal
29,440 - 5.56 M193/M855
6,020 - 357 magnum 125gr Golden Saber/Hornady Critical Defense
1,500 - 38spl+P FBI load, Federal, Hornady
4,900 - 9mm Hornady Critical Duty, Federal, Gold Dot, M882 Ball
7,050 - .40 cal Hornady Critical Duty, Federal LE Tactical HST, Gold Dot
8,100 - .45 cal Federal, Hornady, Winchester, M1911 Ball
5,015 - 12ga 00 buck Hornady Critical Defense, Federal

Does anyone have experience with .22 sub sonic ammo? During the dark days of obumas ammo shortages I had no choice but to buy whatever I could find. I ended up with probably 10,000 rounds of sub sonic ammo. It wasn't until a couple days ago that I actually tried it out. It doesn't cycle in my 10/22 very well. I guess I'll have to save it for my lever action rifles or SA pistols. These are harsh times indeed.

Yup, that's the problem with the subsonic 22s. Same is true for other calibers like 223. Subsonic doesn't produce enough pressure to properly cycle the chamber. If you go heavier, like the 40 grain 22's, it helps a little. Or you can fully customize one 10/22 with a really light spring so it does cycle properly with subsonic ammo. But then that gun is dedicated to just that particular round. It is an option, and has valid reasons to do it. I will tell you that they are still very loud in 22 revolvers. But pretty quiet in a bolt action. Add a suppressor and it's 'poof' 'poof' quiet.

Does anyone have experience with .22 sub sonic ammo? During the dark days of obumas ammo shortages I had no choice but to buy whatever I could find. I ended up with probably 10,000 rounds of sub sonic ammo. It wasn't until a couple days ago that I actually tried it out. It doesn't cycle in my 10/22 very well. I guess I'll have to save it for my lever action rifles or SA pistols. These are harsh times indeed.
it is low velocity ammo and does not have a lot of pressure it's not going to cycle a semi auto very well,,,, I will not buy any even if it was all that was being made

There is also standard velocity, which is sometimes subsonic and cycles all my semi-autos. Check the specs on it. The most accurate standard velocity is subsonic. Match ammo in 22 is subsonic because dropping back through the sound barrier can upset the bullet (why high velocity 22 ammo usually has terrible accuracy at very long distance while subsonic does not)

CCI standard velocity has an advertised velocity of 1070 which is about as fast as you can push it and still insure that it's subsonic in all guns. It is considered a very accurate round.

I did a count of some of my purchased ammunition not counting any big bore handgun/rifle calibers or reloads.

21,050 - .22 cal CCI/Federal
29,440 - 5.56 M193/M855
6,020 - 357 magnum 125gr Golden Saber/Hornady Critical Defense
1,500 - 38spl+P FBI load, Federal, Hornady
4,900 - 9mm Hornady Critical Duty, Federal, Gold Dot, M882 Ball
7,050 - .40 cal Hornady Critical Duty, Federal LE Tactical HST, Gold Dot
8,100 - .45 cal Federal, Hornady, Winchester, M1911 Ball
5,015 - 12ga 00 buck Hornady Critical Defense, Federal
Damn Mav. you could open an ammo store! I’ve never actually counted my ammo but have enough to never need to buy anymore. I don’t even shoot anymore so it will definitely last my lifetime. I’m aware how hard and expensive it is to replace and I’m also trying to preserve what little I have if my hearing too.

Damn Mav. you could open an ammo store! I’ve never actually counted my ammo but have enough to never need to buy anymore. I don’t even shoot anymore so it will definitely last my lifetime. I’m aware how hard and expensive it is to replace and I’m also trying to preserve what little I have if my hearing too.
I agree that Mav has a decent start for a beginner 😁.
When I started stockpiling (hoarding) ammo my intent was to provide ammo for our entire family so that they'd never have to worry. Since then I've learned that no one in my family is interested in hunting or shooting. So now I'm stuck with 10's of thousands or rounds and even more reloading components. I won't come close to living long enough to hardly put a dent in my stash. Especially since I realized that there are no zombies.

When I started stockpiling (hoarding) ammo my intent was to provide ammo for our entire family so that they'd never have to worry. Since then I've learned that no one in my family is interested in hunting or shooting. So now I'm stuck with 10's of thousands or rounds and even more reloading components. I won't come close to living long enough to hardly put a dent in my stash. Especially since I realized that there are no zombies.
When my daughter went off to college, and then got a job, I kept her guns here. A few months ago she said she wanted the 9mm. She even has a female shooting buddy, LOL. She's been renting guns at the range. I took it to her with a ammo can stuffed full of ammo - all Federal Eagle 124 grain FMJs and Federal 124 grain Hydroshocks, which are ballistically matched and the ammo the gun likes the best. And I bought her a cleaning kit and taught her and her husband how to strip and clean it and and taught her husband how to shoot.
The son in law is a natural. Shooting is new to him, but I had him outshooting me by the time I left.

I agree that Mav has a decent start for a beginner 😁.
What! No zombies? Come on…..

What! No zombies? Come on…..

I'm still prepared for them, LOL

iu

Mike Mah, the expert I trust most, says 1000 rounds for your primary weapon. He had a number for your pistol (which you are carrying as a backup) but I forget than number. It was smaller and more like 100. I only have 500 rounds plus maybe 125 for practice shooting.

I just bought a Heritage single-action revolver in .22 long rifle with an extra .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum cylinder that can be swapped out in seconds.

It seems like your .22 LR subsonic would be ideal for such a gun.

I would imagine that the fact that it's a revolver means that there should be no relevance to the cycling issue, the barrel is 6 inches long . . . which--if loaded with subsonic--would ideally suited for vermin and pest control in the rat, squirrel, woodchuck, feral cats, bats, opposum, and raccoon category.

Such animals can carry disease--especially rabies--except for the rat and oppossum. For whatever reason, oppossum are resistant to rabies, as it seems to have something to do with them being marsupials. Rats can't spread rabies either except under some highly unlikely, oddball circumstances.

For certain applications, I deliberately carry a weaker cartridge, as I've seen any number of innocent, uninvolved third parties (often kids) killed by over-penetration and richochet, so the .22 subsonic would appeal to me.

You could buy a Heritage revolver like mine for about $135.00 brand new from Rural King.

The extra .22 Magnum cylinder can be ordered off the Internet for about $35.00, if that talks you into buying a gun just for your ammo. There are worse things for a prepper to have than a 6 shot .22 LR/.22 WRM revolver . . . that happens to be very accurate out to about 25 meters for a rabbit-sized target, or almost 35 meters for a man-sized sillouette target with .22 CCI Stingers.

Undoubtably there are many people who will shoot this gun better than I can.

I only consider myself to be slightly above average in pistol marksmanship, and I do feel that I've lost some longer range shots in a given caliber because of my high-mileage eyes.

I'm still prepared for them, LOL

iu
I remember this ammo, and I intentionally avoided buying it, as I was afraid of being perceived as a crazy person who's worried and/or paranoid about zombies . . . which is what the prosecution will imply if I went to trial for a self-defense shooting with this ammo . . . and I'm not going to give anyone room to say I'm a nut job. I don't have bump stocks, I don't have trigger-activators, or 50 round drums, or armor-piercing rounds, or any other things designed to circumvent gun laws.

Low velocity ammo is designed for single shot competition target rifles and is generally capable of shooting smaller groups at up to 100 yards than the standard velocity stuff. I was a competition shooter for many years and that is all I shot. If you can find a Anchutz or Walther single shot target rifle you will have the right combination.
Finding smallbore competitions is going to be harder. You will meet lots of fine people in those matches.

Mike Mah, the expert I trust most, says 1000 rounds for your primary weapon. He had a number for your pistol (which you are carrying as a backup) but I forget than number. It was smaller and more like 100. I only have 500 rounds plus maybe 125 for practice shooting.
If you only have tactical ammo (HP) you tend to use it too sparingly for practice. Besides practice ammo is much cheaper than tactical ammo. So you should have a lot more practice ammo than tactical ammo otherwise you won't practice. The practice ammo is for practice, so I will use it without worrying about denting my tactical supply.

125 rounds is one short practice session for me. Hardly worth driving to the range for that short of a session. When I was competing in IDPA and Steel Challenge, a practice session was more like 200 rounds of rimfire and 200 rounds of centerfire -. Several times a week.

Low velocity ammo is designed for single shot competition target rifles and is generally capable of shooting smaller groups at up to 100 yards than the standard velocity stuff.
Depends on the brand and whether the standard velocity stays subsonic.
Most American brands of standard velocity are not very accurate because they don't have very good quality control.
SK (German made) standard velocity (5 rounds) vs CCI standard velocity (5 rounds)
6UOx5u6.png

yecYGM4.png

I remember this ammo, and I intentionally avoided buying it, as I was afraid of being perceived as a crazy person who's worried and/or paranoid about zombies . . . which is what the prosecution will imply if I went to trial for a self-defense shooting with this ammo
You mean you're actually worried about getting arrested for shooting zombies?? 🤣

Latest posts

Back