Ammunition

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured out how to use my camera phone, so here is my shotgun:View attachment 13243

I bought it about 10 years ago for maybe $180.00 new.

The sling was $12.00 at Walmart, and the butt sleeve came from Amazon for about $16.00.

I keep it lubed with CLR, and I've stocked up on extra magazine springs (for the tubular magazine) from Brownell's.

The only other thing I want to do is have it Cerakoted, which I'll do when I have the money.

I also want to stock up on a few extra parts, like the plastic magazine follower.

P.S. The butt sleeve holds 6 extra rounds, not 5 like I mentioned earlier. I usually keep the front loop empty because it interferes with the angle of my wrist when I shoot . . . but I stuck an extra shell in there for the photo.
Check out a product called dura coat, it’s durable , a lot cheaper and you can do it yourself.

There's a wealth of information about shotgun chokes on the internet. Did some research looking for a turkey choke for one of my shotguns.
Turkey chokes are usually Super Full.

I made an accidental discovery. I accidentally had a rifled choke in to shoot flyers for retrievers. I didn’t miss that day with a short barrel.

For chokes there is; Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full Choke.

Cylinder: 40" spread at 25 yds.
Improved: 40" spread at 30 yds
Modified: 40" spread at 35 yds
Full: 40" spread at 40 yds

Steel shot generally holds a tighter pattern than lead shot.

The above gives a rough idea of the pattern for the different types of chokes available.
Thank you very much.

Now . . . I keep a few shotshells of rifled slugs in the buttstock nylon sleeve in case I have to shoot through a barrier.

Am I screwing up by doing this because slugs shouldn't be fired through a shotgun with a choke (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread)?

Now . . . I keep a few shotshells of rifled slugs in the buttstock nylon sleeve in case I have to shoot through a barrier.

Am I screwing up by doing this because slugs shouldn't be fired through a shotgun with a choke (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread)?
Yes you can but it is not optimal and will result in poor accuracy. For home defense range though, it doesn't make any difference. And if you do it too often you may bulge the choke.
https://aimingexpert.com/can-you-fire-a-slug-through-a-full-choke/
Yes, you can fire a slug through a full choke, and it’s relatively safe (ALWAYS read the ammunition advice). However, since a full choke is narrower, it may wear out quickly or fracture with repeated use. Some rifled slugs will tell you they can be fired through any choke but mention that improved cylinder chokes get the best performance usage. Rifled slugs can be designed to deform through the narrower choke, but will lose both power and accuracy relative to a cylinder or improved cylinder choke.

Thank you very much.

Does your shotgun have changeable or adjustable chokes? You can shoot slugs only through a Full choke. Never remove a choke to shoot a slug. You'll ruin the threads.

Does your shotgun have changeable or adjustable chokes? You can shoot slugs only through a Full choke. Never remove a choke to shoot a slug. You'll ruin the threads.
Thank you.

I have to check and see.

I may just put in a full choke (if it takes chokes) and leave it at that.

I have slugs, but I've generally only fired bird shot and buck shot through this thing.

In addition to barriers, I lay in slugs for deer, wild pigs, alligator, crocodiles, invasive black caimans, and black bear.

Also, there is an invasive species of monkey here in North Central Florida, as it seems that some idiot released them on his "jungle boat ride" tour to add an exotic touch to his tourist attraction . . . and they were fruitful and multiplied.

About 40% to 60% carry Simian Herpes B, which carries about a 75% mortality rate if a human contracts it . . . so I plan (after SHTF) to kill any and all wild monkeys on sight.

This will be very distressing . . . no doubt because they have human-like body language, and the mothers are known to compulsively hug and cuddle their offspring when they realize that they are going to die.

I have major issues with this (I am an animal lover, and have spent many years of my adult life as a vegetarian), but these things carry this horrible disease which can be quite contagious under certain circumstances.

So . . . possibly buckshot or slugs for large monkeys.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I have to check and see.

I have slugs, but I've generally only fired bird shot and buck shot through this thing.

In addition to barriers, I lay in slugs for deer, wild pigs, and black bear.
You might consider scrapping the slug idea and use 00 buckshot instead. 00 buck is plenty to take down any black bear around. Your shotgun may not have removable choke tubes. But it should say on the box what fixed choke the gun has.

You might consider scrapping the slug idea and use 00 buckshot instead. 00 buck is plenty to take down any black bear around. Your shotgun may not have removable choke tubes. But it should say on the box what fixed choke the gun has.
Thank you . . . but it is a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge, so despite the smaller shell, are you still thinking 00 buck?

Thank you . . . but it is a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge, so despite the smaller shell, are you still thinking 00 buck?
Thats right, I remember now that you bought a 20 gauge. I think a 20 ga is a great shotgun. My wife recently bought a 20 ga over and under.
First check to see what choke your gun has. 00 buck is pretty impressive. Take it out and shoot a few rounds of 00 buck in to an old door, cardboard box or sheet of plywood. That should give you a good idea of what the 20 ga is capable of.

Thank you.

I have to check and see.

In addition to barriers, I lay in slugs for deer, wild pigs, alligator, crocodiles, invasive black caimans, and black bear.

Also, there is an invasive species of monkey here in North Central Florida, as it seems that some idiot released them on his "jungle boat ride" tour to add an exotic touch to his tourist attraction . . . and they were fruitful and multiplied.

About 40% to 60% carry Simian Herpes B, which carries about a 75% mortality rate if a human contracts it . . . so I plan (after SHTF) to kill any and all wild monkeys on sight.

This will be very distressing . . . no doubt because they have human-like body language, and the mothers are known to compulsively hug and cuddle their offspring when they realize that they are going to die.

I have major issues with this (I am an animal lover, and have spent many years of my adult life as a vegetarian), but these things carry this horrible disease which can be quite contagious under certain circumstances.

So . . . possibly buckshot or slugs for large monkeys.
If your Mossberg is like mine, it doesn't have an interchangeable choke. It is a straight cylinder bore which allows you to actually mix rounds in the tube. Some guys alternate buck and slug. YMMV. As far as lights, spend decent money. Nothing cheaper than Streamlight. Also make sure it has an intermittent switch position, you want to be able to extinguish that light as quick as you turn it on, an intermittent switch allows this. If not, you're just a beacon for the bad guy.

If your Mossberg is like mine, it doesn't have an interchangeable choke. It is a straight cylinder bore which allows you to actually mix rounds in the tube. Some guys alternate buck and slug. YMMV. As far as lights, spend decent money. Nothing cheaper than Streamlight. Also make sure it has an intermittent switch position, you want to be able to extinguish that light as quick as you turn it on, an intermittent switch allows this. If not, you're just a beacon for the bad guy.
That is an excellent point that I hadn't considered.

Thank you.

If your shotgun has a fixed choke then look into getting a second barrel that has screw in chokes.
Thank you very much. I was planning on buying another barrel, as I've switched from collecting guns to accumulating spare parts, extra springs, technical books, and specialty gunsmithing tools so that I can keep my guns up and running.

Getting a barrel that accepts chokes seems like an excellent idea.

I have a 1942 Winchester model 12, 12 gauge pump. It's the best shotgun I ever used, it's been used as a paddle, never rusted. Always cycles any shells, rusty or not. It's got an awesome bluing. The pump action is super smooth. I've been using it since I could hold it up.

Attachments

• 1942WinMdl12-2.jpg
    1942WinMdl12-2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1942WinMdl12.jpg
    1942WinMdl12.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 10
Thank you very much. I was planning on buying another barrel, as I've switched from collecting guns to accumulating spare parts, extra springs, technical books, and specialty gunsmithing tools so that I can keep my guns up and running.

Getting a barrel that accepts chokes seems like an excellent idea.
I have a 28" Mossberg barrel if your interested. I believe it has 2 or three chokes with it. Vent rib, bead site. IM me if interested. It's doing me no good as I changed it over to a home defense gun. I have other shotguns for hunting.

Latest posts

Back