This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you kidding? That's a great BOV....
Believe me, I thought of it being used as a really nice camper! It's tall enough to comfortably stand in the back. I could fix something like into a comfortable BOV pretty easily. Oh well, earning money trumps fun right now. Maybe next year.

I got another fire starter at Walmart today. It is a strike style and was on clearance. It went straight into the bob. I probably have five or six ways to start a fire now, but a bic lighter is still my favorite. I just thought that a waterproof container would be a good idea for a bic lighter. They don't do well in rain. I will find an old pill bottle or something soon.

Oh I also just got a survival pack of heirloom seeds from Amazon. I looked at a lot of different packages as you really need to read the fine print on the sets. Lots say they have loads of different seeds, but a lot had stuff I don't like. For instance kale and turnips. Anyways I found a really good pack with 40 varieties of stuff I really like for 13.95. They are packed for long term storage, but I plan to use them this spring as they were cheaper than what I've been buying. There are 16,500 seeds in the kit. Not bad.

Oh I also just got a survival pack of heirloom seeds from Amazon. I looked at a lot of different packages as you really need to read the fine print on the sets. Lots say they have loads of different seeds, but a lot had stuff I don't like. For instance kale and turnips. Anyways I found a really good pack with 40 varieties of stuff I really like for 13.95. They are packed for long term storage, but I plan to use them this spring as they were cheaper than what I've been buying. There are 16,500 seeds in the kit. Not bad.

You have just reminded me. Yet another project I had going was making up my own seed bank. I want varieties I can save seed from year to year. My list getting there, I just need to action it. Also need to get my name on the allotment list.

Last edited:
Got a new (used) work truck today! It's a Chevy van with a box built to the cab, and storage bins on both sides. We've been working out of a nice pickup truck with tool boxes and ladder rack for a while, but this thing has 4 times the carrying capacity. Ok, not much to do with prepping, but I'm psyched anyways!

I believe that Panel vans are the best overall vehicle for use as a family BOV, I just wrote this on another forum on a thread about loads for BOVs

""I think vehicle type itself is as important as what goes in it when it comes to preps, all to often BOVs morph into big boys toys, Huge great 4x4s with bling and boxes and bash guards, lights, CBs, winches and other nice but often questionable BLING. Absolutely superb for rock hopping and gully crunching in Nevada in the summer. Great for post apocalyptic movies but not real life, But what about Nebraska, Montana, New York, Washington etc in the WINTER with a wife and three kids PLUS possibly a grand parent and a dog??.

BOVs should be sensibly off road capable, a mechanical or electric winch is fine as is sand and mud mats, but most family oriented preppers need to think more about where they are going to sleep en route to their BOL when its snowing, raining, windy and cold. Bovs for many of us should be based more around PANEL vans rather than 4x4s ( 4x4 panel vans are good ) Ideally along with the essential kit mentioned in the article you need to consider the family being able to sleep IN THE VAN, out of the crap weather and away from biting, stinging critters and parasites..

When you park up your fully laden BOV if your not on tarmac, concrete or rock park on 4 pieces of 1/2 by 2 by 2 ft marine grade ply to prevent your vehicle from sinking in over night. Reverse into your lay over location, park up so that if you have to move at short notice you are already pointing the way you want to go.

One further VITAL aspect of life saving BOVS is the extra kit, tools, supplies, equipment etc should all be INSIDE and out of sight of prying greedy eyes and not bolted in please steal me style down the outside of the vehicle. Your trying to survive in hostile territory in a hostile world with hostile people also trying to survive, not look pretty in front of your buddies in a saturday morning.""

I really like a van too. Just way more room for you and your stuff. My second choice is a small SUV. With better fuel consumption and manuverability it's good too, and can still haul a decent amount of stuff. I don't have a four wheel drive now, but when it comes time to replace the vehicle I will upgrade to one.

To a degree you can still have on board, off ground sleeping accommodation on small, medium and large SUVs by using a roof tent like these.
8b95c1f0add6627d95059d3e19882d31.jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg
open_sky_8.jpg
Tallsnail_3.jpg

magg_fet_2.jpg
4.jpg
tent trailer 004.jpg
3950164555_8d7b9d96ef_b.jpg
Those are awesome! I've never seen anything like them before. What a great space saver.

Very popular in overland expeditions and rally raids, they close up like a roof box when not used, you leave your bedding and pillows instead, some open squarely like the first image by simply putting a small hand crank into a socket and winding it up in a few seconds, the others that are hinged at one end often just have gas strut that opens the bed at one end. Your bedding does not get squashed or dragged through the dirt it stays in the shell of the unit. No more hard ground, we ground, scorpions, rattlers, tics, mice, mossies, rats or other nasties and it leaves the inside of your vehicle for people and cargo.

You can demount them or put em on trailers as well.

Last edited:
View attachment 6192 View attachment 6193 View attachment 6194 View attachment 6195

Very popular in overland expeditions and rally raids, they close up like a roof box when not used, you leave your bedding and pillows instead, some open squarely like the first image by simply putting a small hand crank into a socket and winding it up in a few seconds, the others that are hinged at one end often just have gas strut that opens the bed at one end. Your bedding does not get squashed or dragged through the dirt it stays in the shell of the unit. No more hard ground, we ground, scorpions, rattlers, tics, mice, mossies, rats or other nasties and it leaves the inside of your vehicle for people and cargo.

You can demount them or put em on trailers as well.
Well, I still think they are really cool, but did some looking on line. They are not cheap little buggars. I guess compared to an RV they are a bargain, but still a whole lot more than a tent.
I spent the day yesterday working on the new work van. Tires, oil change, painted the bumpers, cut a door in the cab partition to access the back, and got tags. Tags were almost six hundred, ouch. As I was working on it I realized just how nice this would be for an RV/Bob. The outside bins have loads of storage, leaving the huge inside to set up however you'd like. If times get tough I guess we could quickly change the purpose of it.

They last for years and are easily moved from vehicle to vehicle, I like them because you have a fibreglass / GRP roof and floor to give good shelter, not cheap but a good investment if avoiding sleeping with the bugs is not your thing.

The outside bins have loads of storage, leaving the huge inside to set up however you'd like. If times get tough I guess we could quickly change the purpose of it.

Could you Modulise it like the VW T5 Transporters can be Modulised? IE demountable racks, boxes and tubs that can quickly be swapped out for kitchen, toilet, beds, stores etc??

They last for years and are easily moved from vehicle to vehicle, I like them because you have a fibreglass / GRP roof and floor to give good shelter, not cheap but a good investment if avoiding sleeping with the bugs is not your thing.
I saw some of just canvas, and some with better quality shells. As with anything, there are good versions and cheaper ones. It really is a much cheaper option than a pull behind camper.

Could you Modulise it like the VW T5 Transporters can be Modulised? IE demountable racks, boxes and tubs that can quickly be swapped out for kitchen, toilet, beds, stores etc??
I can build just about anything and think it would be a fun project. The issue is I've learned that it's usually better to be patient and find a good deal on a used RV as it would be much cheaper than making one. The cool thing about making something though is you make it exactly the way you like vs settling for what you find. I think some simple modifications to this would be easy though.

This is my seed pack. It was sealed and had an oxy absorber in it, along with directions for each variety. I opened it to plant a few fall things today, but think I will buy a second pack for long term storage. I like everything but turnips, kale,collards, and rhubarb. This was the most inclusive pack I could find of things I actually like.
image.jpeg

Looks just like ours - and I agree about not caring for some of it.we bought 2 packs as well.

I also sealed up 50 pounds of sugar - bet my wife thinks my disposition needs sweetening up lol.

I also picked up a reloading getup to reload my own ammo. I'm calling that prepping for when or if winter comes and it's too cold to be fooling around outside.

Looks just like ours - and I agree about not caring for some of it.we bought 2 packs as well.

I also sealed up 50 pounds of sugar - bet my wife thinks my disposition needs sweetening up lol.

I also picked up a reloading getup to reload my own ammo. I'm calling that prepping for when or if winter comes and it's too cold to be fooling around outside.
I just planted some spinache and onions in the greenhouse. I was really impressed with their packaging. Each individual seed pack is sealed in a foil pack as well. I put the rest in the freezer for springtime. I haven't gotten into reloading but think it would be a wise skill set. Maybe one day.

Latest posts

Back