This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lack of decent tinned meats is the reason I went to the trouble and expense of getting a pressure canner.

Oh so true, All I have is Corned Beef, Spam, Bacon Grill, Chicken in white sauce and tinned pies ( Fray Bentos) plus tinned Tuna, Salmon, and Mackerel fillets. I cannot the crazy prices they ask for pressure canners in the UK.

Got the new travel trailer home and setup. It was a long 12 hour drive. Had to use 4 wheel drive and cut some trees down to get it up the driveway. I had the axles flipped over before starting home to have enough ground clearance to keep from getting high-centered. I parked it where the house will be built next year and connected it to the septic. Took a few days off from the road repair to work on other projects. Will resume work on the next mile of driveway later in the week. Started work on the barn floor and have about half of the floor beams in place.
Tuesday I have a little procedure at the hospital, so I wont be doing any work for a couple days.
Glad you have a comfortable place to get through the winter in. And good luck in the hospital.

Oh so true, All I have is Corned Beef, Spam, Bacon Grill, Chicken in white sauce and tinned pies ( Fray Bentos) plus tinned Tuna, Salmon, and Mackerel fillets. I cannot the crazy prices they ask for pressure canners in the UK.

When I got mine, you couldn't get prepssure canners in the UK. I imported one from the US. I paid under a £100.00 for mine including postage and duty. You can still get one for about that now. It has paid for itself in spades since I got it as I not only can what meat I want(chicken thighs are particularly good) I can all my own veggies too. Even though the jars are expensive, once you have them, with care they last forever. I'm still using kilner jars belonging to my mother that are older than me, I wouldn't be without it.

i got me a 12 pack of them,on our last shopping trip.and yes,we both love them.more so when BBQ sauce is added..:rolleyes:
Vienna sausages

good luck with all of that..
Got the new travel trailer home and setup. It was a long 12 hour drive. Had to use 4 wheel drive and cut some trees down to get it up the driveway. I had the axles flipped over before starting home to have enough ground clearance to keep from getting high-centered. I parked it where the house will be built next year and connected it to the septic. Took a few days off from the road repair to work on other projects. Will resume work on the next mile of driveway later in the week. Started work on the barn floor and have about half of the floor beams in place.
Tuesday I have a little procedure at the hospital, so I wont be doing any work for a couple days.

When I got mine, you couldn't get prepssure canners in the UK. I imported one from the US. I paid under a £100.00 for mine including postage and duty. You can still get one for about that now. It has paid for itself in spades since I got it as I not only can what meat I want(chicken thighs are particularly good) I can all my own veggies too. Even though the jars are expensive, once you have them, with care they last forever. I'm still using kilner jars belonging to my mother that are older than me, I wouldn't be without it.
Why in the world can't you get one in UK?

:)
Why in the world can't you get one in UK?

Home canning and preserving just isn't that popular over here. I think you'd still struggle to get one and it would definitely be cheaper to import one.

I got mine for something like 27 dollars. Not too bad.

Mine was about twenty five pounds. You can get some good models for under fifty.

I got the activated charcoal today. 2 lbs was a pretty large bag. My only complaint was the Mylar package was coated with charcoal dust. You'd think they would dust it off after packaging. The more I've read about the stuff the more I'm impressed. I mostly got it for making an emergency water filter but have learned it's good for poisoning treatment, teeth whitening, blood coagulant, odor eliminator, bug bites, face cleanser was my favorite. Who's going to rub charcoal on their face!
image.jpeg

I got the activated charcoal today. 2 lbs was a pretty large bag. My only complaint was the Mylar package was coated with charcoal dust. You'd think they would dust it off after packaging. The more I've read about the stuff the more I'm impressed. I mostly got it for making an emergency water filter but have learned it's good for poisoning treatment, teeth whitening, blood coagulant, odor eliminator, bug bites, face cleanser was my favorite. Who's going to rub charcoal on their face!

Its good stuff, I buy mine in granulated form from our local aquarist store where its used to filter aquaria, indeed much of the stuff fish keepers use is good for preppers, Zeolite, Activated carbon, course, medium and fine polyester filter media, fish antibiotics etc.

How do ya'll stop your hens from eating their eggs? I tried putting ping pong balls in there with them to discourage them, they played soccer with them. I blew out an egg and filled it with mustard and srirachi sauce and they ate it like it was dessert. Now I've redone the whole roost with a rollaway inclined shelf and board to keep them from getting to the eggs, so they lay on the ground and eat them. Should I just fire up the deep fryer?

How do ya'll stop your hens from eating their eggs? I tried putting ping pong balls in there with them to discourage them, they played soccer with them. I blew out an egg and filled it with mustard and srirachi sauce and they ate it like it was dessert. Now I've redone the whole roost with a rollaway inclined shelf and board to keep them from getting to the eggs, so they lay on the ground and eat them. Should I just fire up the deep fryer?

I only ever came across one that did it. She went 'on holiday' The thing is, one learns how to break an egg open, and then it's a free for all. If they are all doing it, maybe try increasing their calcium intake, or failing that, send them on their holidays.

Once a hen learns how to do it the only way to stop her is by having her for dinner. There are a few things you can do to help prevent a hen from eating her eggs; make sure the nest box is padded with straw or some other material, collect the eggs several times a day and make sure she has a good quality feed. On my last hen house I slanted the nest boxes so the eggs rolled out through a slot just a little larger than a jumbo sized egg, which I was able to collect from the outside. The box where the eggs rolled in to was covered with a hinged lid to keep the critters out. Never had a broken or eaten egg.

feels kinda good,when I got away with the shin splint just by chainging to my combat boots,apparently my feet ain't suitable for jogging shoes ;)

I just racked a thirty gallon barrel of wine from this years grapes. (Which is siphoning the juice from one container to another, leaving the pulp and sediment in the first container). This is the first of probable 5 or six rackings. Anyways I siphoned off a glass to taste. Amazing flavor, and allready as strong as storebought wine. It's cloudy right now, but the sediment will settle over time and clear right up. Right now it tastes like fresh muscadine grape juice, but mellows you out a little bit.
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back