This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very odd? Very difficult to diagnose what's going on from here in Australia too of course lol. I'll tell you one thing I do, I learnt this from an electronics technician. Whenever I build a system I first draw it out on paper, I like faint graph paper for the plan. It's a circuit diagram basically and it lets me get a feel for what's going where and the correct order of things. Later I leave it near or with the construction so I can refer back to it in the future. It's amazing how much a project resembles a pile of spaghetti when you remove the cover 2 years later.

There are some basic conventions to these diagrams too, that aid in making them intelligible.

View attachment 24520

Or a sort of flow chart even, like this.

View attachment 24521
That diagram is very similar to my main system. What I've been having problems with is the system for the chicken coop. It has one 110 watt solar panel, charge controller, 12 volt deep cycle battery and 400 watt inverter. Simple enough, right? I think I finally figured out what was wrong, almost embarrassed to admit it out loud. The battery I'm using has two posts for positive and two for negative, one large post for battery cables and one small one for accessories. I attached the wire from the charge controller to the small posts, then I attached the inverter to the same posts. Then when I attached the inverter to the large terminal it began to work as designed.

The battery I'm using has two posts for positive and two for negative, one large post for battery cables and one small one for accessories. I attached the wire from the charge controller to the small posts, then I attached the inverter to the same posts. Then when I attached the inverter to the large terminal it began to work as designed.

Easily done. Another thing I employ on many betteries is to mark the positive terminal with a yellow X right beside the post. I use a paint pen. It takes all the hassle out of looking for the black marks on the black case thing.

Spending money on supplies to build more rabbit cages, duck, chick food, laying pellets, and new duck area on agenda, plus finish insulating new shed, and solar power. Breaking me in half!

Here are partially done new rabbit cages for the new babies to transition, 5 wks old today..son w bad hand building them.

Attachments

• 20240409_192815.jpg
    20240409_192815.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Spending money on supplies to build more rabbit cages, duck, chick food, laying pellets, and new duck area on agenda, plus finish insulating new shed, and solar power. Breaking me in half!

Here are partially done new rabbit cages for the new babies to transition, 5 wks old today..son w bad hand building them.
That is a really good way to spend.

Quote we got for whole house generator for mothers place was $15k mimimum....sadly, had to take a pass on that due to cost. Not even gonna inquire about full house generstor for our house. Her place is only about 1,100 Sq. Ft. Guess we'll be living way off grid if/when electric goes down, w exception of running few appliances. I try to pressure can, or dehydrate as much meat and other foods as possible, and have propane, outside fire pits, plenty of grills, smoker, etc. For cooking...but I'll probably die of heat exhaustion in summer! Lol.

An option for whole house generators or a bunch of solar panels is a medium size solar generator. You know, one only large enough to run basics, a chest freezer and some LED lights…perhaps a water pump from your pond. I’ve seen some Jackery ones that are very reasonable at HD. Also saw a couple at Harbor Freight. Maybe the guys here could direct you better.

Last edited:
I have a 7500w gen that runs 6 circuts in the house, never use all its power.
Next place I plan on doing an interlock switch rather than a transfer switch. I don’t need to run all circuits at once. If it does, i will buy a bigger gen. I will miss the 1K propane tank though.

Quote we got for whole house generator for mothers place was $15k mimimum....sadly, had to take a pass on that due to cost. Not even gonna inquire about full house generstor for our house. Her place is only about 1,100 Sq. Ft. Guess we'll be living way off grid if/when electric goes down, w exception of running few appliances. I try to pressure can, or dehydrate as much meat and other foods as possible, and have propane, outside fire pits, plenty of grills, smoker, etc. For cooking...but I'll probably die of heat exhaustion in summer! Lol.
They will always quote you way over what you really need. An 8kw generator is really all you need. I have a 12kw backup for our system and it's really more than we need.
I'd suggest that you buy the generator, with auto start and the switch gear and hire an electrician to make the connections. Pretty simple.

AD’s thoughts are ideal. Mine was a cheaper way around it. I would have to open walls to expand my transfer switch here.
Currently my wife can pull the gen down the ramp, has written directions on how to hook to the propane and to the transfer switch.
I am dealing with what was here. My biggest inconvenience is moving the coffee pot into the dining room

My next place will have the interlock. I can turn circuits on and off via the breaker box as needed.

That was generac quote...they threw it out from get go....as in "here's the deal"... 15k was the minimum from them per phone inquiry to them.

Sounds like may need to inquire elsewhere! Thanks for the info ArcticD! 🤩
Generac is proud of their stuff. Unless it's the XP model it's made in China. Consider the Winco 8kw propane model with built in auto start. They're made in the US. I have a 12kw Winco for my well pump.

I've had some issue with my right leg, it goes week on me, and lately the knee sort of pops out of joint a bit. I can get around but no cycling or prolonged walking. I'm told it's tight hamstrings and I can believe that after a lifetime in a job with a lot of walking, my passion for cycling, and sitting 4 hours a day in an office chair at the web.

Anyway I don't have a lot of faith in those little sets of exercises the physio gave me so I have taken to sitting on the floor against a wall. back straight, and stretching my legs out straight in a V while I read a book for half and hour. Very discomforting but it seems to be loosening up things. Any other tips would be welcome. Also in the office chair I sit on the edge a lot now and stretch my legs out straight until I feel the pressure in the hams.

Latest posts

Back