This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up around sawmills and logging operations, was driving loggers and lumber trucks at age 12 and working on our farm with large tractors, combines and cultivators
Wow what a start in the work life. I can only remember mowing lawns, trimming trees and rototilling gardens, shining shoes and taking out the papers as a kid to make money. The big stuff came in the Army. Trucks and tractors and rockets up to 52 tons and then driving 20 states on a flatbed out of Houston and then a 57 1/2 foot drybox behind a '79 Freightliner. Driving 65 tons of wood in Sweden in a 26 meter long tractor trailer (80 feet) is a challenging experience to stay on the road in the curves also. My little experience on tractors and combines came with visiting my wifes family in Serbia who are all farmers and were happy to have some time off and let me drive when we had time there on "vacation"....

I grew up around sawmills and logging operations, was driving loggers and lumber trucks at age 12 and working on our farm with large tractors, combines and cultivators, One day after we got out of school for summer break we went to mill to work and absolutely loved working there and on farm, Was NO video games or cell phones back then at all,
PS: worked on weekends too cleaning up around mills for monday work!!!
When I was a kid dad would take me up the the logging camps around Oregon while he worked on equipment. I loved seeing the old skyline yarders pulling logs out of the canyons. Back then there were many one log truck loads. There were still logging trains in some areas, and on the Columbia River were huge log rafts being floated down river.

When I was a kid dad would take me up the the logging camps around Oregon while he worked on equipment. I loved seeing the old skyline yarders pulling logs out of the canyons. Back then there were many one log truck loads. There were still logging trains in some areas, and on the Columbia River were huge log rafts being floated down river.

That is soooo cool!

We decided to cut out about 10-15 acres of the pine at BOL2. The previous owner did not thin on time and we found some bore beetle larva that were killing trees stressed by the drought and hot temps this summer.

We will have to take out several hundred trees to make room for usable pasture land (some healthy stands will be thinned and left). There will still be about 35 acres of pine left in need of thinning that will remain.

We want to save enough of the timber to build at least one log cabin there and haul a bunch to the nearby mill to make into boards and beams. Some of it will be too small or bug infested so it will be treated and turned into firewood.

With the drought, the price of high quality hay has gone crazy. It doubled our feeding costs.

Attachments

• _best_quality_1662904785651_IMG_20220911_085806.jpg
    _best_quality_1662904785651_IMG_20220911_085806.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That is soooo cool!

We decided to cut out about 10-15 acres of the pine at BOL2. The previous owner did not thin on time and we found some bore beetle larva that were killing trees stressed by the drought and hot temps this summer.

We will have to take out several hundred trees to make room for usable pasture land (some healthy stands will be thinned and left). There will still be about 35 acres of pine left in need of thinning that will remain.

We want to save enough of the timber to build at least one log cabin there and haul a bunch to the nearby mill to make into boards and beams. Some of it will be too small or bug infested so it will be treated and turned into firewood.

With the drought, the price of high quality hay has gone crazy. It doubled our feeding costs.
Have you thought about getting your own sawmill? With that much timber you can mill lumber for all of your needs and the rest locally. I've had two band mills over the years and never had to buy lumber. Made a good income selling custom cut lumber too.
Every fall and spring we thin out hundreds of trees, mostly small useless trees. We've finally had enough moisture to start burning the slash piles.

Have you thought about getting your own sawmill? With that much timber you can mill lumber for all of your needs and the rest locally. I've had two band mills over the years and never had to buy lumber. Made a good income selling custom cut lumber too.
Every fall and spring we thin out hundreds of trees, mostly small useless trees. We've finally had enough moisture to start burning the slash piles.

Actually, yes. DH has been looking but, he has expensive taste in machinery, so we will have to save up for a while. Still trying to finish the house at BOL2

Actually, yes. DH has been looking but, he has expensive taste in machinery, so we will have to save up for a while. Still trying to finish the house at BOL2
My last mill was a Woodmizer with a 42 hp Kubota diesel. It was all hydraulic, log loader, turner, toe board, de-barker, laser sight and computer set works. It was well worth the money. When I sold it I got close to what I paid for it. Listen to Mr DH, sounds like he knows quality.

My last mill was a Woodmizer with a 42 hp Kubota diesel. It was all hydraulic, log loader, turner, toe board, de-barker, laser sight and computer set works. It was well worth the money. When I sold it I got close to what I paid for it. Listen to Mr DH, sounds like he knows quality.

Was it portable? Given that we don't have the equipment to move the logs, like a grapple (we have a trolley and the rest is grunt work), it would be easier to mill in the area of the property we are cutting...

Was it portable? Given that we don't have the equipment to move the logs, like a grapple (we have a trolley and the rest is grunt work), it would be easier to mill in the area of the property we are cutting...
Yes it was portable. You can move pretty good size logs with a ATV, or a UTV, up to the loader on the mill and then just use a peavey to roll the logs on the loader. I used to have a loader with forks for the large logs, and a team of horses to move up to 24" diameter logs.

Yes it was portable. You can move pretty good size logs with a ATV, or a UTV, up to the loader on the mill and then just use a peavey to roll the logs on the loader. I used to have a loader with forks for the large logs, and a team of horses to move up to 24" diameter logs.

My horses have hauled logs but, there are some places, I can't use them or the tractor like near the pond (we have two huge 36" diameter cypress that came down on the dam last spring....an excavator is on the list too.

I already mentioned what you said to him and he is watching the video and drooling. LOL

Our main log yard was over 800 acres for the mill, loved driving the BIG fork lifts and unloading trucks at 15 yrs old!!!

I really loved working around the mill, picked up all kind of on the job training too, learned welding, saw sharpening, millwright work and mechanics, after hrs we would use the mill shop to build drag racers!!!

@rainingcatzanddogs I move a lot of 24 inch stuff with my pallet forks on the FEL. Best purchase with my tractor. Worst being the box blade, use it once a year maybe.

We use the hay spear, auger and box blade a lot. Easy tilling for breaking up hard ground. Now the shredder attachment...can't remember the last time we used that one. The old Massey, only has a three point. No front hydraulics. We need a new tractor too! LOL.

We use the hay spear, auger and box blade a lot. Easy tilling for breaking up hard ground. Now the shredder attachment...can't remember the last time we used that one. The old Massey, only has a three point. No front hydraulics. We need a new tractor too! LOL.
I got a new KUBOTA tractor 2 yrs ago, my next attachment is going to be a back hoe for it!!

Talk about being jealous, I have been turning over my garden with a shovel in my hands...the only help I get is from my little Ducati rototiller. Spread my ammonium nitrates, potash and other goodies and am tilling it in for the next few days before it is supposed to rain next week.
Chopped up some black walnuts for fishing, picked the last of the veggies before pulling the plants out so I can turn over, fertilise and till the whole garden.
1666802386784.jpeg

Turn over by hand...
1666802521193.jpeg

Then rototilling the fertiliser in...
1666802566026.jpeg

Anybody here pressure can bacon? I see there are youtube videos on it but haven't had chance to watch any. I have been canning varieties of dried beans since Monday, (27 quarts total this week) I managed to squeeze in. Have 15 lb. Box of bacon in freezer. I want it cleared out to free up space. Would like experienced advice from here if possible. Much appreciated!

Anybody here pressure can bacon? I see there are youtube videos on it but haven't had chance to watch any. I have been canning varieties of dried beans since Monday, (27 quarts total this week) I managed to squeeze in. Have 15 lb. Box of bacon in freezer. I want it cleared out to free up space. Would like experienced advice from here if possible. Much appreciated!

I have read that pressure canning that because of the high fat content can be iffy when it comes to safety so I just buy Yoder's instead. Pricey yes, but must have bacon and there might be a situation where I can't shoot a couple of feral hogs so I have sprung for it.

I’ve canned it a bunch of times. Use meat paper to put it on and then roll up the paper and stuff it in quart widemouth jars. It will not keep as long as other foods, but it does keep for months, The smell would let you know you had kept it too long. Never experienced that problem though.

Last week butchered and wrapped/froze hubby’s cow moose. The week before that we butchered/wrapped/froze son’s cow elk. I had to make room in the freezer for them so I canned up 168 jars of meat from last year in 4 days. These old arms and hands are in agony. My deer tag isn’t till December so I’m hoping my poor muscles/bones have recovered by then!!! 😂 Busy dehydrating the last of the garden veggies too. Always something left to do.

Latest posts

Back