This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also @Acdoctor and @Dave2001 in my truck I keep a 30 ft strap with a couple of Drings.
My last rescue with the tractor taught me a lot about moving trees with strap, Even my small SUV has a small strap now
Takes up less room than a saw.
True but here in the south the red oaks just blow over in the high winds with a giant rootball, that in its self make them extremely hard to move without cutting it into smaller peices to remove from the roadway.

True but here in the south the red oaks just blow over in the high winds with a giant rootball, that in its self make them extremely hard to move without cutting it into smaller peices to remove from the roadway.
Pecan trees too.

When we clear land at the BOL, we get a guy on a large trackhoe to just lift the bucket up high and push the trees over. Even the biggest oaks will tip right over.

Got my plan for weekend. I put in order for 10 pound of fresh green beans, case of fresh corn (I thinks it's 48 count), have a total of 17 lb. Sausage. Will be canning all the above. Hopefully will get 2 loaves of bread made as well (with that new simple, no knead recipe I found). Might not sound like a lot, but for me, that's a lot! I'll get laundry and a little house cleaning done in between. I think that will do it for me this weekend..

Last one I did was a 24 inch live oak about 40ft. Fell over from the uphill side. Tried with the loader and it started to lift the tractor back wheels up.
Threw the strap on, backed it off the uphill side and pushed it off the downhill side. No cuts.
Drought has been weakening the trees. Have done 6 rescues and other neighbors 2 this year. This one was important cause it was 115 and an elderly couple was trying to get home.
Can’t wait for 3 hrs for the county.

I got some extra money this week!! The young german lady whose tree I cut down last year asked me what to do with the stump she wanted left standing about 3 feet high...could I build a table on it for a standing bar/bistro table?? The problem was, all the roots which were no longer covered with dirt were just stumbling blocks and were sticking out of the ground up to 5 inches...Soooo. I dug them out to 6 inches deep, cut them into 3 inch disks with the chainsaw, whacked the disks with my axe to get them to break off under ground level and pulled the rest out of the ground with a leverage and brute strength. The smaller ones just got "shaved" off just under ground level and then I covered all the leftover area with dirt and spread grass seed across the whole thing.
She had gotten a cherry wood table top from somewhere and using 4 "L" shaped angle irons, I screwed the angle irons into the stump with 7 inch screws and the table top to them with shorter screws so as not to come out through the table top on the pretty side. I'll try to get some pics the next time I go by to let y'all see the final results. BTW: the funny thing on this treestump, it has EYES and a NOSE where it was injured once and the roots just under the eyes and nose makes a FACE that looks like the captain from the movie PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, who had a face like an octopus!! Gotta get a photo with the right angle for y'all to see.
She also had me to fix her wood burning stove which was not connected into her chimney yet and could not get anyone to fix it. So, I made an extra $40 for a full days work. Went shopping for flour, sugar, oil, vinegar and TP...
well, yes I did get myself a couple of beers too.....live free, Gary

We want a photo of that Gary!! ;)
Been organizing and cleaning my shop in the barn. Actually making a dent in it this time.

My hubby has been doing the same. Organizing the wine shed and the tool/work area of the garage. We expanded the garage a couple of years ago. Seems all the men are busy working on making sure they have everything they need in case Home Depot and the like are empty! And all us women are canning, buying and organizing food as quickly as possible! We can’t have too much work space, eh?!

Purchased me a new elec battery powered chainsaw today, STIHL makes a really well built one>

Hubby bought one of those too. He’s also come home with extra batteries for all his electric equipment.

Cindy, you should find yourself a good chiropractor for those pains. You are going to need to not be in so much pain when things get worse. Who knows what our healthcare system is going to devolve into? Saw yesterday where just short of 50% of all physicians in the NIH are leaving! They are saying NIH is going to crash if those docs leave.

I had numbness and tingling as well as some pain awhile back. My doctor sent me to a surgeon. Surgeon said I needed surgery. Not wanting surgery I put him on hold and found an amazing chiropractor. The man has 100% fixed my problems!!! Color me shocked.

well, yes I did get myself a couple of beers too.....live free, Gary
"Stay thirsty my friend"
TUodeJw.gif

Thanks GP!...I am going to make some appts this week..only reason I mentioned back issues is same reason you stated...I am a bit worried I will be too broken down to get much done that needs doing if I don't get a handle on it. I've been to chiropractor in past..they couldn't do a thing with my neck..seriously..he said he couldn't "budge" it., and truthfully, I'm not willing to attend 3 xs a week like they always schedule...I know lots that benefit from chiro...unfortunately, I never have. Had an mri 10 yrs. Ago when this started.. showed moderate to severe stenosis back then when arm was going numb..Fortunately, that went away for most part...flaring up on me again, but will get it checked..we got lots of work ahead of us for sure! and I ain't going down yet.

My prep this week was to collect enough American black walnuts to make about 20 liters / 5 gallons of "blackwater".
You can use blackwater to pour on the ground and get rainworms to come running out so you have fishing bait or something to make a small soup with. You can also use it as a "piscicide" which means using it on fish as you would use a "herbicide" on plants, or a "insecticide" on insects. The zodiac sign for Pisces (fish) and the latin word is used here to describe the blackwaters use.
Pour some blackwater (or just lots of black walnut green husks) it to still water and the fish cannot breathe if they get into it. It paralyses their gills and they do not get enough oxygen and just come belly up to the surface of the water and you have food without using too many calories to get it...saving calories is saving the amount of food you need after the SHTF...
1665906243660.jpeg

1665906269362.jpeg

I was on a roll yesterday. I got 9 pints of sausage canned, 11 quarts of green beans, and I ended up vacuum sealing and freezing the case of corn I got. Started out this morning canning 14 pints of hamburger meat. My new pressure canner is ginving me fits. First of all, apparently I didn't get the lid exactly right on it and I could see a little steam coming out side of lid. So I turned burner off, let the pressure go down to zero...removed lid, adjust it, started it back over, quadruple checked to make sure lid was evenly on. After going through motions of allowing steam to vent 10 minutes, I put "jiggler on", it got up to 10 lb. pressure but the jiggler never would jiggle. I looked around sides of lid, found another spot with a little steam coming out again! This is my second go around with turning the damn thing off and started it over again. That hamburger is going to be cooked to death! I have put oil around the lid as recommended. It has been working fine til this morning. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the lid also got stuck after I had to turn it off and let pressure go down the first time. It was locked on tighter than a drum. I searched and found a youtube video on the trick to getting the lid to pop off. Geez! I will say this morning I am using the double stack since I had 14 pints. I wonder if that is having anything to do with my issues this morning? It is the only thing I have done differently.

This is getting to be a pain the arse. I should have had the hamburger meat completley canned by 12:30 today counting the 1hr. and 15 minute canning time, but instead I am spending time re-starting the process. I am about done with it if it doesn't get going this next round. I don't even know if I can restart the process that many time or not.

True Gary! I thought about that after I posted. My learning curve seems to take a bit longer than most.

So my update is...I let all the pressure go back to zero again. Removed the lid and removed the canning jars on the second layer, put in pints just in the bottom, actually measured the space around the lid on the canning pot all the way around instead of just eyeballing it. Cranked it back up...this time it worked perfectly.."jiggle and all" My timer just went off so I can now cut the heat. I did learn I need to be more careful and make sure I am going through checking everything correctly instead of getting in a hurry. I think where I had good luck the first few uses, I took, for granted I had this down.

I have one more round with the remaining jars of meat, then I am done for the day!

Where is Texpreep? I want to know how he did with trying out the new canner.

True Gary! I thought about that after I posted. My learning curve seems to take a bit longer than most.

So my update is...I let all the pressure go back to zero again. Removed the lid and removed the canning jars on the second layer, put in pints just in the bottom, actually measured the space around the lid on the canning pot all the way around instead of just eyeballing it. Cranked it back up...this time it worked perfectly.."jiggle and all" My timer just went off so I can now cut the heat. I did learn I need to be more careful and make sure I am going through checking everything correctly instead of getting in a hurry. I think where I had good luck the first few uses, I took, for granted I had this down.

I have one more round with the remaining jars of meat, then I am done for the day!

Where is Texpreep? I want to know how he did with trying out the new canner.
Some people like to lurk. I lurked for 2 months before signing up.
I look at it this way, they liked your post enough to like it and had to be signed into like it.

I did learn I need to be more careful
A short story to help you.
Once upon a time...a captain got into a jeep with his sergeant and told him to drive back to Headquarters, he needed to see the General and said: DRIVE SLOWLY...WE ARE IN A HURRY!
The sergeant took off and after not getting too far, he made a mistake and they slid into a ditch and it took them over an hour to dig the jeep back out, making them late for the meeting with the General, who of course was pissed off.
On the way back home, the Captain asked the sergeant: DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW WHAT I SAID BEFORE??
The answer: YES SIR, drive slow enough and careful enough to make sure nothing can GO WRONG...

Being careful to work slow is sometimes the fastest way to do something since you make less mistakes which eat your time and patience in the end...it is still ok to make mistakes, just not good to repeat them, Gary

I was on a roll yesterday. I got 9 pints of sausage canned, 11 quarts of green beans, and I ended up vacuum sealing and freezing the case of corn I got. Started out this morning canning 14 pints of hamburger meat. My new pressure canner is ginving me fits. First of all, apparently I didn't get the lid exactly right on it and I could see a little steam coming out side of lid. So I turned burner off, let the pressure go down to zero...removed lid, adjust it, started it back over, quadruple checked to make sure lid was evenly on. After going through motions of allowing steam to vent 10 minutes, I put "jiggler on", it got up to 10 lb. pressure but the jiggler never would jiggle. I looked around sides of lid, found another spot with a little steam coming out again! This is my second go around with turning the damn thing off and started it over again. That hamburger is going to be cooked to death! I have put oil around the lid as recommended. It has been working fine til this morning. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the lid also got stuck after I had to turn it off and let pressure go down the first time. It was locked on tighter than a drum. I searched and found a youtube video on the trick to getting the lid to pop off. Geez! I will say this morning I am using the double stack since I had 14 pints. I wonder if that is having anything to do with my issues this morning? It is the only thing I have done differently.

This is getting to be a pain the arse. I should have had the hamburger meat completley canned by 12:30 today counting the 1hr. and 15 minute canning time, but instead I am spending time re-starting the process. I am about done with it if it doesn't get going this next round. I don't even know if I can restart the process that many time or not.
My wife had the same issues with her new canner too. Eventually she got it right. Now we have jars of canned stuff filling every space in the house. The shelves in our closet are filled with jars of hamburger and stew meat. Next on her list is canning plum, blackberry and raspberry jelly. We didn't get any grapes this year because the yellow jackets ate all of them.

Latest posts

Back