This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the wife to the airport yesterday and got home around 10.30 pm to no power. The generator broke a fan belt, over heated and shut down. The batteries then discharged to 21 volts causing the whole system shut down.
I always keep spare parts on hand so I was able to install a new belt, had to do it by lantern and flashlight.
We're brooding new chicks and ducks and the brooder shut down too, they we're a little cold but doing ok this morning.

Took the wife to the airport yesterday and got home around 10.30 pm to no power. The generator broke a fan belt, over heated and shut down. The batteries then discharged to 21 volts causing the whole system shut down.
I always keep spare parts on hand so I was able to install a new belt, had to do it by lantern and flashlight.
We're brooding new chicks and ducks and the brooder shut down too, they we're a little cold but doing ok this morning.
I'm glad to hear the chicks are okay and you were able to get things fixed. I guess being prepared really does pay off.

I'm glad to hear the chicks are okay and you were able to get things fixed. I guess being prepared really does pay off.
Absolutely. Prepping isn't just about a zombie attack or an end of world scenario. Sometimes just having repair parts on hand to keep your vehicles running or to make repairs around your house are just as important. I try to keep most normal maintenance items on hand for all my equipment. Where am I going to find a Perkins fan belt at 10.30 Sunday night around here? I couldn't even find one today. The parts store is going to order a couple for me.

No doubt prepping is more about little daily things than stockpiling food and guns. When I buy things like plumbing fittings or hardware I usually buy several to keep on hand. Not only good for the unexpected repair on Sunday evenings but good for if we all are right and something happens that shuts down the local Walmart and everything else.

Last Sunday I canned 17 jars of green beans. Today I am trying something new...freeze drying turnips, grown in my 4x4 raised garden...thought they would be great to throw in stews. Made some pickles from my cucumbers. And those Seminole Pumpkins are taking over the whole back yard...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last Sunday I canned 17 jars of green beans. Today I am trying something new...freeze drying turnips, grown in my 4x4 raised garden...thought they would be great to throw in stews. Made some pickles from my cucumbers. And those Seminole Pumpkins are taking over the whole back yard...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wish I still had a garden. Growing up we always had a big garden but since I grew up and moved to the city to find work I've lived in an apartment and can't have any thing more than a few house plants. I miss the home-made pickles.

I got the Jeep back from the shop that sprayed Linex on the entire inside. It looks great and is a pretty tough coating. I also installed the newly upholstered seats and all the pieces I had cleaned and repainted. Ok, in reality this is more of just a toy but could be a bug out vehicle.....

Things are moving quickly now. A lot of things left to do at the new location required a lot of time off to do. Waiting around for days off with decent weather wasn't really cutting it. Things at hubby's job went way south this past week due to son being in hospital and boss throwing a huge fit for hubby asking for one day off (son fighting off sepsis, serious stuff!), so... he quit. Family comes first, period. Anyways, taking this time to get the big things finished so we can get out there. We'll probably be out there by August. Then can sell current house and be rid of it.

The few things we planted are coming along nicely. Can't wait to try more, but it'll probably be next year after we're settled.

A friend is moving out of state and getting rid of a lot of things he isn't able to take with him. Getting a lot of things out of the deal like tools, parts and materials. For sure will come in handy.

Broke the starting pull wire to the generator, darnit. Need to get that fixed. :)

Iv let part of my little farm go and become over grown since I went salary at work sbout 20 years ago . Me and the Wife have been slowly reclaiming it the past few months . I work nearly 60 hours a week so I haven't kept ant live stock except chickens so I have 3 big fenced in lots to clear the fence rows and get rid of sapling hack berries and wild cherries . But We are getting it done .
If all goes as planned in 5 years I will get a much easier job and cash out and really fix up the old homestead .

Things are moving quickly now. A lot of things left to do at the new location required a lot of time off to do. Waiting around for days off with decent weather wasn't really cutting it. Things at hubby's job went way south this past week due to son being in hospital and boss throwing a huge fit for hubby asking for one day off (son fighting off sepsis, serious stuff!), so... he quit. Family comes first, period. Anyways, taking this time to get the big things finished so we can get out there. We'll probably be out there by August. Then can sell current house and be rid of it.

The few things we planted are coming along nicely. Can't wait to try more, but it'll probably be next year after we're settled.

A friend is moving out of state and getting rid of a lot of things he isn't able to take with him. Getting a lot of things out of the deal like tools, parts and materials. For sure will come in handy.

Broke the starting pull wire to the generator, darnit. Need to get that fixed. :)
Sorry about your husband's awful boss. Hope your son is doing okay; sepsis is no joke. Glad your place is coming along.

Iv let part of my little farm go and become over grown since I went salary at work sbout 20 years ago . Me and the Wife have been slowly reclaiming it the past few months . I work nearly 60 hours a week so I haven't kept ant live stock except chickens so I have 3 big fenced in lots to clear the fence rows and get rid of sapling hack berries and wild cherries . But We are getting it done .
If all goes as planned in 5 years I will get a much easier job and cash out and really fix up the old homestead .
Goats would love to help with cleanup. A neighbor has been thinking about borrowing mine just for that purpose. Just a thought if you happen to know of some close by. There are some who will actually rent theirs out for that purpose.

Sorry about your husband's awful boss. Hope your son is doing okay; sepsis is no joke. Glad your place is coming along.

He is much better, thank you. :)

Last full day of equipment rental to get road work finished. Next up: getting the 100ft wire trenched and hooked up so we have power out there. Then it's on!!! :D

Goats would love to help with cleanup. A neighbor has been thinking about borrowing mine just for that purpose. Just a thought if you happen to know of some close by. There are some who will actually rent theirs out for that purpose.

Start a rent a goat business. I bet you will get all kinds of strange inquiries.

DC624797-C161-484D-BF76-34A9BA4F446B.jpeg
40100D34-FB8D-483E-9546-390A6C76AB69.jpeg
24C22D3A-37C7-4B83-9D0B-69A818BD124A.jpeg
Got the Jeep put back together and made some floor mats for the front and the under seat tool storage area. Am about to take it out in a minute now!

The floor guys started laying the hardwood flooring this morning. It's looking good. We have most of the doors hung, window and door trim and closet shelves installed. There's still a few custom doors on order that should arrive next week.
My son came down on the 4th to help with the hay, but the hay isn't ready yet. Looks like I'll be putting it all up myself.
Instead he helped me around the place. I've been pretty sick lately so it was great having his help and his company. We started putting the redwood down on the rear deck last night. We quit work at dark and my son almost stepped on a rattlesnake that was about 20 feet from where we were working. We could here the SOB buzzing but it was hard finding the snake in the dark and the tall grass. I crawled around until I eventually came face to face with him. One shot with my .22 magnum loaded with snake shot and no more threat.

A couple more days and I can get my shower installed. The countertop may have to wait though. When we went to look at them last week after I got off work, shower was fine but the bathroom countertop was way off in color and needed repoured. Cultured marble is about 1/2 the cost of traditional but you would think you would have 1 guy working on 1 customers project so that they would all come out looking the same. I really hate being 'that' customer . . . I know this will be the only opportunity that I will ever get a bathroom remodel and I want it done right. I asked how long this will throw off the time line. The installation guy says it will be close to have it ready by Wed this week. He may have to come back at a later date. I really have to have this done before moving Granny in. . . I just can't bring her into a construction zone.

Latest posts

Back