The New X Class Pickup

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about that. The Japanese can make cars, won't dispute you there, but I can't think of any of my rural neighbors that have a Japanese truck. And really, the truck has been one of the most solidly sound vehicles I've ever owned, and it's 20 years old.

Don't know about that. The Japanese can make cars, won't dispute you there, but I can't think of any of my rural neighbors that have a Japanese truck. And really, the truck has been one of the most solidly sound vehicles I've ever owned, and it's 20 years old.

I'm not saying American made cars/trucks aren't reliable but not in comparison to Japanese made vehicles over all. I purchased only one American vehicle new and it was a higher end model. Within 5k miles of light use the chasis began to make squeaking noises. Could have been a lemon but that was the last for me. I know they have been getting better though.

I'm not saying American made cars/trucks aren't reliable but not in comparison to Japanese made vehicles over all. I purchased only one American vehicle new and it was a higher end model. Within 5k miles of light use the chasis began to make squeaking noises. Could have been a lemon but that was the last for me. I know they have been getting better though.
It is sad, even with improvements over the last several years in American vehicles, the Japanese still kick our butts. The quality and longevity is much better. The only place we still dominate is with the big trucks. The main reason is the Japanese just don’t make them.

Bah, I got a Ford F350, and I can just go around the corner and get a part. ;)
I have to admit, if I was giving anyone advice, I would say stay on the practicle side and get a wrangler that can easily be serviced locally. I got this because I always wanted a Willy’s jeep, but didn’t want something with that old technology. This was made with much more modern tech but kept that same design as the 50’s jeeps. Pure and simple, it’s a toy, not a practical prepping vehicle. It is a lot of fun though and will go anywhere!

Yea but with a Japanese car you won't need to get parts as often. ;) German cars on the other hand are prone to having electrical/sensor issues but have been getting better as of late.
I've got a '97 F-250 4×4 with a 460 V8 and 91,000 miles. I haven't had to replace a single part on it. As far as I know the Japs don't make a comparable pick-up.

Yea but with a Japanese car you won't need to get parts as often. ;) German cars on the other hand are prone to having electrical/sensor issues but have been getting better as of late.
I've got a '97 F-250 4×4 with a 460 V8 and 91,000 miles. I haven't had to replace a single part on it. As far as I know the Japs don't make a comparable pick-up.

They don’t. They make smaller trucks that are great, but if you want a big powerful v8 that can tow and haul heavy weight, American is the only option.

I have to admit, if I was giving anyone advice, I would say stay on the practicle side and get a wrangler that can easily be serviced locally. I got this because I always wanted a Willy’s jeep, but didn’t want something with that old technology. This was made with much more modern tech but kept that same design as the 50’s jeeps. Pure and simple, it’s a toy, not a practical prepping vehicle. It is a lot of fun though and will go anywhere!
I have an '07 Wrangler Rubicon and love it. I've never had a single issue with it either. It's been all over Alaska and across the lower 48. Back in high school I bought a '47 (I think) Willy's Jeep off an old rancher that I was working for. That thing would climb a tree. Wish I still had it.

Small Toyota pickups are the workhorses of the world, but for any kind of power truck needs, they just don't have it. I remember when I lived in Saudi, there were two common cars...Mercedes sedans, and Toyota pickups...both usually white, of course.

Small Toyota pickups are the workhorses of the world, but for any kind of power truck needs, they just don't have it. I remember when I lived in Saudi, there were two common cars...Mercedes sedans, and Toyota pickups...both usually white, of course.
Those Toyota’s have the same Diesel that’s in my jeep! :)

Yes I agree most pickup trucks are grossly overpriced new but there is a substantial markup. My buddy just haggled almost like $16,000 off a new loaded Dodge Ram pickup with Cummins Diesel.

Good on the Cummins. I’ve heard that Fiat is changing over to their diesel instead of the Cummins.... bad day for Ram if true..l.

I know many people whom agree with your way of thinking and I see nothing wrong with that. I personally have a thing for European cars. To each his own.
As part of my last career I was in charge of managing fleets; purchasing, maintenance and operations. Some of my fleets numbered over 20,000 units. Depending on where the operations were around the world we had; Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Comaz, Gaz, Tata, Lada, International, BMW and others. The Toyota and Ford pickups were the bulk of the LDV (Light Duty Vehicle) fleet. Neither model is available in the US due to EPA BS. I particularly liked the Ford Ranger diesel, made in Thailand and not available in the States. Besides the diesel engine it had a stronger suspension than the old US made Ranger had. I also like some of the European models, but for me they aren't practical and/or too expensive.

As part of my last career I was in charge of managing fleets; purchasing, maintenance and operations. Some of my fleets numbered over 20,000 units. Depending on where the operations were around the world we had; Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Comaz, Gaz, Tata, Lada, International, BMW and others. The Toyota and Ford pickups were the bulk of the LDV (Light Duty Vehicle) fleet. Neither model is available in the US due to EPA BS. I particularly liked the Ford Ranger diesel, made in Thailand and not available in the States. Besides the diesel engine it had a stronger suspension than the old US made Ranger had. I also like some of the European models, but for me they aren't practical and/or too expensive.

The irony is that many American vehicles are made in Mexico or Canada today and most US spec Japanese vehicles are made here in the states. Im one of those people who believes a German car should be made in Germany, a Japanese car Japan, an American car in America. It kinda takes away from the product in my opinion when it's assembled somewhere else. Just my opinion.

I prefer the build quality and driving experience of European cars. They have their quirks but that's part of their charm. I also have friends who stand buy American made vehicles and won't touch anything else. So I understand.

Latest posts

Back