The Fall of Hospitals

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this doctor.
I know you wrote you didn’t want to talk about it, but I’d like to know... Are the lack of beds or overcrowding in your hospital due to medical professionals quitting? And are the majority of the Covid cases Un-Vaxxed or Vaxxed?

thanks
It's multi-factorial
1. Seasoned nurses are getting sick of being treated like sh!t by administrators and leaving to go take travel assignments where they can make more money.
2. Majority of covid are un-vaxxed, have had a few vaxxed through (mainly older with chronic conditions)
3. Our covid numbers are rising, and we are boarding ICU patients in the PACU (post anesthesia care unit). As such nurses are taking 3 patients (when usually they take 2) and this is further contributing to their burnout.

The ENT will be useless unless you know what you are looking at or for.
We have one and actually have a bottle of antivenom (Further down the list) My wife knows how to use them, but I do not.
Yeah unless you need the extractor to get stuff out of kids noses, ears etc.
You wouldn't believe the stuff that kids get stuck in their orifices. Hahah
I bet @erqueen75 and @Kevin L would have good stories about that. I have a few as well. LOL

I bet @erqueen75 and @Kevin L would have good stories about that. I have a few as well. LOL
If they are anything like dogs, I would.
Dog came in for eating a sock. My wife scoped and showed it to owners. Nope, it was wrong color. 2nd one was too.
She finally got the right color on sock #9.

As a paramedic in South Florida for over a decade, I have lots and lots of stories.

Where to get IV bags - normal saline or lactated ringers?
Lactated ringers and normal saline can be ordered from vet supply places the usually come in 500 ml and 1000 ml bags, and normal saline (not Ringer's Lactate . . . but there are rare, oddball exceptions to this) also comes in 250 ml bags.

Normal saline would probably be preferred over Ringer's Lactate because:

1) Ringer's may be incompatable with certain IV meds, while saline is generally compatable with everything.
2) Normal saline can be used to irrigate burns, eyes, wounds, and infections.
3) People are generally not allergic to normal saline, however Ringer's can trigger an allergic and/or hypersensitivity reaction . . . but keep in mind that this objection is weak, as reactions to Ringer's--when used properly--are very, very rare.
4) Normal saline can be used in a colonic.
5) Normal saline can irrigate a bladder, and it can be used for gastric lavage.
6) It can be used to flush emergency meds (like epinephrine 1:10,000) down an endotracheal tube.

So, I would keep normal saline around. It does go bad over time--perhaps from chemicals leeching from the synthetic materials that make up the bag, or possibly from bacteria that eventually penetrate the seals--so store in a cool, dry, dark place.

I doing research on wine coolers (for storage, not the drink) that maintain a steady 55°F.

I will have one that's solar powered, and I'll store all my medical stuff in that.

Also, anyone interested in a discussion of survival medicine needs to be buying a bedside commode and a few fold-up walkers from Goodwill and/or the Salvation Army thrift stores. These items can be found for less than $10.00 if you shop thrift stores near retirement communities (no shortage in Florida).

Also, if one can find a hand-crank antique hospital bed with side rails, then that would be a good idea as well if you have a spare bedroom.

Privacy screens can be made with a cord stretched across the room with sheets hanging from it.

Last edited:
Lactated ringers and normal saline can be ordered from vet supply places the usually come in 500 ml and 1000 ml bags, and normal saline (not Ringer's Lactate . . . but there are rare, oddball exceptions to this) also comes in 250 ml bags.

Normal saline would probably be preferred over Ringer's Lactate because:

1) Ringer's may be incompatable with certain IV meds, while saline is generally compatable with everything.
2) Normal saline can be used to irrigate burns, eyes, wounds, and infections.
3) People are generally not allergic to normal saline, however Ringer's can trigger an allergic and/or hypersensitivity reaction . . . but keep in mind that this objection is weak, as reactions to Ringer's--when used properly--are very, very rare.
4) Normal saline can be used in a colonic.
5) Normal saline can irrigate a bladder, and it can be used for gastric lavage.
6) It can be used to flush emergency meds (like epinephrine 1:10,000) down an endotracheal tube.

So, I would keep normal saline around. It does go bad over time--perhaps from chemicals leeching from the synthetic materials that make up the bag, or possibly from bacteria that eventually penetrate the seals--so store in a cool, dry, dark place.

I doing research on wine coolers (for storage, not the drink) that maintain a steady 55°F.

I will have one that's solar powered, and I'll store all my medical stuff in that.

Also, anyone interested in a discussion of survival medicine needs to be buying a bedside commode and a few fold-up walkers from Goodwill and/or the Salvation Army thrift stores. These items can be found for less than $10.00 if you shop thrift stores near retirement communities (no shortage in Florida).

Also, if one can find a hand-crank antique hospital bed with side rails, then that would be a good idea as well if you have a spare bedroom.

Privacy screens can be made with a cord stretched across the room with sheets hanging from it.

Vet supply places have been on limited supply for over a year. At one point we had to bring some out of date ones in for use.

Make your own medicinal and herbal tea with a low cost expreso machine. Like shikimic acid tea, to prevent blood clots from covid shots and there spike proteins.

1632408484553.png

Holy Schnikes!!!
A Kocher costs $349.50!!!???
That is madness...

and Mayo's are $279.95!!!!???

No wonder healthcare costs are outrageous!!! And all I got for my first raise as a nurse was either 0.10 or 0.20 cents an hour. Bullpucky!!!

1632408367055.png

I think it's great that you love your patients.

I was a paramedic for over a decade, and I couldn't stand most of my patients. I thought they were mostly s____heads.
I've got a couple Foley's.
The only patients I ever had issue with were the ones we'd take from the nursing homes to dialysis. If I ever get there, my wife has instruction to kill me.

I had some experience with catheters a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, LOL. I was a hospital orderly before going back to college.
Hospital got bought out and the new administration (Humana, if I recall correctly) only allowed me one cheap plastic glove (kind of like the ones used in food service) to use for catheterization.

I fought it and won.

Latest posts

Back