Storing Canned Meat

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastercajun

Reaction score
If you can meat that has fat, be sure to keep the jars cool. For that matter keep all jars cool. The problem is that if the jars get to hot they can lose the vacuum and seal. If you can pork, don't fill jar to full. The grease can be forced out and won't seal properly. I just had to get rid of four jars of pork. Just my 2 cents.

I find this even with canning venison which is very lean. Leave about 1 inch of head space in the jar and you very rarely has issues with seals letting loose.

I like to leave at least an inch of head space as well and I try to trim as much of the fat away as I can.

I leave an inch when canning all meats. Also, make sure that you do not let the pressure vary off much or you can liquid. Keep all jars that are canned in a dark cool place in you house or root cellar. (I could only wish for a root cellar)

Yep, if you try to cool the canner down too fast you'll end up with the jars siphoning off liquid. That is in anything you can, not just meat, but meat seems to do it the worst.

Latest posts

Back